Chris Tan

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Salpa Island Indonesia
February 09, 2009, 09:16:16 PM
Just came back from Salpa Islands, East Nusa Tengara.

Due to domestic flight problems and engine failure, our 3 day fishing trip was reduced to 1 1/2 days.

Strong winds and heavy rain made popping hard but we managed to land some 14 gts between 3 anglers. We had 2 bust offs - 2 craftbait poppers lost - ouch!

Here are some photos. Will upload more when I get the rest.

Jon Li

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Re: Salpa Island Indonesia
February 09, 2009, 09:40:06 PM
Hi Chris , Mark n AhGu ,

I was wondering if the Harbour Master wud allow the boat to cast off at all due to very strong wind around the area you wre fishing and no doubt you have had one Bintang too many there , you posted the images twice !  ;D  Several small inter island cargo ships experienced problem and even the governor of NTT and his group almost never made it to the destination .

Too bad with the engine failure , this is the second time I heard the news that Suzuki outboard gone kaput again .  :-\In the other forum I advised Mark that we don't go out fishing until the
" Chap Go Meh " celebration is over .  ::)

I think the best time to go to that area is after mid March .

Jon .
Last Edit: February 09, 2009, 09:46:06 PM by Jon Li
It's not what you don't know that gets you into trouble , it's what you know for sure that ain't so . Mark Twain .

Andy Rowe

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
February 09, 2009, 11:55:47 PM
Hi Men,

14 GT's all things considered is pretty good going, big congratulations.

Did you manage to get any jigging in?

Again unfortunate about the engine issues, how does this situation look, short term fix or long term?

Cheers
Andy

Set the ray to GeeT

Kasey Leong

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
February 10, 2009, 12:21:51 AM
Chris,
It's been a while since I've seen AhGu pose for a photo with a fish ;D Let's hope this is just the beginning.

Biggest, meanest, nastiest? I'm sure we'd all like more details...
Watashi wa kawaii scon class hetadesu bakadesu JooNya Poop Poop

Narc

February 10, 2009, 01:19:01 AM
Chris,
It's been a while since I've seen AhGu pose for a photo with a fish ;D Let's hope this is just the beginning.

haha... really a long while... but hey, I still got those caps and sunglasses with me!

Jon Li

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
February 10, 2009, 02:38:24 AM

Again unfortunate about the engine issues, how does this situation look, short term fix or long term?

Cheers
Andy

Hi Andy ,

Combination of poor quality fuel in those remote areas of Indonesia and modern 4 stroke outboard motors just don't mix well , in East Borneo those mining companies went back to the old carburated 2 stroke outboard engines after experiencing massive number of failures on their 4 stroke outboard motors .

Check this : http://www.fishingouting.com/forums/f57/team-kaiser-east-nusa-tenggara-expedesi-feb-09-a-3007/

Jon .

It's not what you don't know that gets you into trouble , it's what you know for sure that ain't so . Mark Twain .

Kasey Leong

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
February 10, 2009, 03:18:59 AM
Chris,

haha... really a long while... but hey, I still got those caps and sunglasses with me!

Woah, even posting on fishing forums now!  :P
Hey, I will be dropping by Singapore on the 26th for three nights on my way back to Australia. I hope we can meet up again. Chris, I hear you live nearby too?

Maybe one day we can even tee up to fish together - be it Singapore, Malaysia, Indonesia, Australia or New Cal.
Last Edit: February 10, 2009, 03:21:36 AM by Kasey Leong
Watashi wa kawaii scon class hetadesu bakadesu JooNya Poop Poop

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
February 10, 2009, 08:01:19 AM
I don't know if you will get Gu back to NC.
Chris or Mark, no problem!
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Chris Tan

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
February 10, 2009, 11:43:43 AM
Andy

Not sure if the engine is a long term problem. But there's another Japanese angler fishing there now - I hope the skipper had resolved it or the angler would be facing 6 pretty boring days up there.

Kasey

Biggest was caught by Ah Gu - about 30 plus kgs. Three around the 20kg mark and the rest were smaller ones.

Here are more photos

Andy Rowe

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
February 10, 2009, 08:34:57 PM
Andy

Not sure if the engine is a long term problem. But there's another Japanese angler fishing there now - I hope the skipper had resolved it or the angler would be facing 6 pretty boring days up there.

Yep, the spot it is 'out there' the weather is still crappy in Jakarta, so I hope it is better there...if not I guess the anglers will be practicing drinking bintangs, tying knots and swatting mosquito's...

I'm looking forward to getting back there, that boat looks like a good casting platform.
Last Edit: February 10, 2009, 09:25:07 PM by Andy Rowe
Set the ray to GeeT

Andy Rowe

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
February 10, 2009, 08:54:40 PM

Cheers
Andy

Hi Andy ,

Combination of poor quality fuel in those remote areas of Indonesia and modern 4 stroke outboard motors just don't mix well , in East Borneo those mining companies went back to the old carburated 2 stroke outboard engines after experiencing massive number of failures on their 4 stroke outboard motors .

Check this : http://www.fishingouting.com/forums/f57/team-kaiser-east-nusa-tenggara-expedesi-feb-09-a-3007/

Jon .

Hi Jon,

I hear you on the fuel issue, just actually getting the fuel is also a big matter in those parts, one really has to plan ahead there as you know, fuel supplies are distributed on a daily quota basis, or so it seemed. Even the poor old 40HP 2 strokes we used last time were struggling with it.
Set the ray to GeeT

Adrian Wong

February 10, 2009, 11:22:14 PM
Superb catches! Wish I could visit them(GTs) soon...

Anyway Chris, help to advise where exactly is Salpa Island? Near Bali? When is best to fish there?   

Many thanks,

Adrian  ;)

Chris Tan

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
February 11, 2009, 11:40:02 AM
Adrian

Its west of Komodo - East Nusa Tengara. Not too sure when is the best time but now is rainy season.

Nathan Cefai

• Giant Trevally
  • Reel Men Smoke Stellas
  • Liked:
February 12, 2009, 07:29:15 PM
Mate well done for 1 and a half days fishing,shame about the other days which you couldn fish!! >:(

Narc

February 24, 2009, 10:14:27 PM
Accompanying video of the trip.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="
&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x006699&color2=0x54abd6"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x006699&color2=0x54abd6" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>