Aaron Concord

Re: Shoalwater - from Chris Harrison
March 13, 2009, 09:41:35 PM
Chris,

Somehow I missed this whole post!

Congrats on so top fish mate. Its also lovely to see a big popper rod with a working curve in it!

Not quite the curve you had out at Wreck Reef though......I'll never forget your 'game face' on that tough fish!!!!

Cheers

Aaron.

Mick Cunningham

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
March 13, 2009, 11:57:26 PM
hi chris

may i ask you what brand is the blue line you got on your stella .
and also what lb is that .

chris harrison

March 14, 2009, 12:34:31 AM
Hey Aaron, Mick

Good memories of wreck reef where we all met up for the first time, with Malcolm, Mark Shannon and the 'Guru" of relaxed fishing Eddie!

Mick the lines Frog Braid details and tech specs http://www.river2sea.com.au/categories.asp?cID=27   blue is 120lbs and .56mm diameter so thicker and isn't as supple as varivas and wouldn't cast quite as far but i have had it on the reel for a good 2 1/2 years reversed it once, it has lasted really well and good abrasion resistance (for braid)

cheers
Chris

Brock Arifovic

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
March 14, 2009, 07:31:57 PM
Chris,

Im not sure whether to take UHL to Bugatti, what do you think?

Jon Li

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
March 14, 2009, 07:46:42 PM
Hi Brock ,

You bought it so use it ! Try the " no line out " technique .  ;)

Jon .  ;D
It's not what you don't know that gets you into trouble , it's what you know for sure that ain't so . Mark Twain .

chris harrison

March 14, 2009, 08:09:39 PM
Hey Brock

There were some big fish (especially hanging around the Live Trout fisherman's mothership) I know i caught a good fish casting to the Odyssey at the end of a days fishing.
I would take the Uhl and probably something like the Coral Viper and a Blue lagoon
The spread of fish caught last year on the dories i was fishing on was pretty even between stickbait and popper, having said that my CV79/40RF SHP probably got the most use.
regards

Chris
Last Edit: March 14, 2009, 08:12:03 PM by chris harrison

Brock Arifovic

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
March 14, 2009, 08:30:59 PM
Jon,

Explain please?

Jon Li

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
March 14, 2009, 08:46:14 PM
Jon,

Explain please?

Hi Brock ,

When I met Malcolm n Chris for the first time back then in Bali prior to their trip to Sumba n Komodo , they asked me the drag setting to use for tackling GT in Komodo , I told them that in places such as Komodo where tidal current is extremely strong , if one allows maximum 10m of line out of the reel when the GT run for cover then the game is over and looking at Chris being so big in physique , I suggested what we term " no line out " which means setting the drag pretty high , anything around 15 kg upward .

Jon .

It's not what you don't know that gets you into trouble , it's what you know for sure that ain't so . Mark Twain .

Aaron Concord

March 14, 2009, 08:51:06 PM
I need to dig up some footage, though I am sure I remeber Malcolm muttering this phrase while trying to stop a 30+ G out at Wreck Reef on a GT86....remeber that fish Malcolm :)

Malcolm Crane

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
March 16, 2009, 01:20:24 PM
Aaron,
If I remember correctly it had me on my knees! I was probably muttering a lot more besides "no line out". The GT86 actually punched above its weight on that trip, but I must admit that it has been retired now.

Nathan Cefai

• Giant Trevally
  • Reel Men Smoke Stellas
  • Liked:
March 16, 2009, 02:22:57 PM
Thanks for sharing brandon,pics are great with nice big GTs,what rod is that white fella with the red bindings??

Brock Arifovic

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
March 16, 2009, 02:34:55 PM
Nathan,

The rod is a Custom Carpenter SP78UHL

Aaron Concord

March 16, 2009, 08:17:36 PM
Malcolm,

You had a shocker of a trip with bent & smashed guides, placing the GT86 (also missing a guide!) as your primary rod.
It did a heck of a job and yes, I do believe there were some other sage words let out between pumping & winding.....made it all the sweeter to get that fish out on your back-up stick  ;D

May we be fortunate enough to see such shennanigans again!

Aaron.

Malcolm Crane

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
March 16, 2009, 08:34:50 PM
Aaron,

out of all the trips I've done that one to Wreck with you as the cameraman done up in full face white zinc and Eddie back on the mothership doing a very passable imitation of the Dali lama remains at the very top of my memorable list. I seem to recall that the biggest GT of the trip was caught and landed by Eddie who was letting his popper gently troll behind the dory whilst he was lighting up yet another ciggie getting ready for the fight, probably bitching about there being no deck chairs in the dories, and leaving the mothership late in the morning after a personal omelet. I think I learnt a lot from that man!

Aaron Concord

March 17, 2009, 08:22:16 PM
Malcolm,

It was a terrific trip indeed!
Great friendships forged and as you said, the Eddie Lama taught us to have calmness, good rest and to resist the temptation to cast your guts out when not needed........perhaps we need him on a Shoalwater trip to help with the lure mortality rate too.
There's an idea....the Eddie Lama again Down Under.  ;D

The troll/popping technique worked for the ole sea dog that trip. I'd like to film him getting spanked by a 50+ er while doing this in Island Head Creek. That creek shows NO mercy!

Aaron.
PS...I'll even wear the white zinc for ole times sake...or is that sake'??