jay currie

Patriot Design Atomic Pile
March 11, 2009, 07:52:36 PM
I'm new to the GT seen and i am currently looking into different brands of poppers and stick baits. Just wondering about the above mentioned Atomic Pile, how long do those propellers last? They look like they would need replacing after any GT hits the lure from behind. Is this lure a worth while one to have in your arsenal?

Thanks

Andy Rowe

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Patriot Design Atomic Pile
March 11, 2009, 09:39:41 PM
Thats what it says on the wrapper, 'replace propeller after a strike', extra propellers are sold in packets of 3!!!

These lures are expensive and not durable, but they don't claim to be anything else.

I've tested them in the pool :P and they make a real annoying racket.

I'll be testing one at the end of the month, to be rigged when the bite slows down, hopefully the unusual racket will rouse some bruiser into a strike if things get quiet.
Set the ray to GeeT

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
March 11, 2009, 09:49:39 PM
I have no doubt they will work - just whether you're prepared to pay for a new propeller after each strike that hits the prop!
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Brock Arifovic

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
March 12, 2009, 06:13:12 AM
I shall let you know soon enough, will be atempting to use them @ Bugatti, start of April. Fingers crossed.

Stephen Polzin

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
March 12, 2009, 04:31:43 PM
I'm sure it would work but the price is plainly rediculous, like a lot of lures on the market.  The fact it requires constant maintenance is just rubbing salt into the wound. 
Cairns Bommie Basher

Chris Young

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
March 12, 2009, 08:06:38 PM
I wonder if you could make a lexan prop for it? that stuff can stand up to some serious punishment

Brock Arifovic

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
March 12, 2009, 08:17:36 PM
i can get a s/s 1 made, very cheap, strong & easily done, already in the works. Will not be ready for april, but will try in June.

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
March 12, 2009, 09:34:44 PM
a lexan or stainless steel one would be a much better idea than continuing to generate sales for Patriot after every GT!!
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Aaron Concord

March 13, 2009, 09:59:27 PM
Lexan would be better at keeping Spaniards, wahoo & barracuda from chopping at a polished S/S prop!

Price is relative...I was paying over $100 for Japanese lures in 2002 just because you couldn't get them anywhere else.......and because they are worth the fish they catch :)

jay currie

March 14, 2009, 09:31:15 AM
I think I will have to have at least one to give them ago. I have a mate who is a engineer in metal fabrication so i will talk to him about the props. Thanks for the info.

Kenny Tan

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
March 14, 2009, 12:23:54 PM
I definately wouldn't mind if it can attract the fish of my lifetime.

What is the cost of the part compared to a popping trip.  ;D
Last Edit: March 14, 2009, 02:39:29 PM by Kenny

Aaron Concord

March 14, 2009, 02:46:45 PM
Kenny,

I like the way you think!

Aaron.

Stephen Polzin

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
March 14, 2009, 03:03:26 PM
Yeah I wouldn't mind if it would attract the fish of a lifetime either.  I'd bet though that it would just attract the same fish as any other popper, dearer or cheaper. 
Cairns Bommie Basher

Brock Arifovic

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
March 14, 2009, 06:57:40 PM
Will have S/S props after i get back from Bugatti. Looks like they will be pretty good.

Aaron Concord

March 14, 2009, 08:27:29 PM
Stephen,

I used to use Hypalon with fencing wire run down the guts of the hypalon with a #3-7 ball sinker just to save bucks. They caught fish though weren't pretty or as user-friendly as most lures that have evolved in the last few years.

I can save money, though I would say I'd get my butt kicked by someone who uses a better-made lure. I don't have a full game fishing season like in 2004 to fish the whole Great Barrier Reef system to hope my back yard wonders will compare.
I'm in the process of using a heap of Halco's, Bills Bugs, Surface Bulls & Dumbells for daisy chains when marlin/wahoo/spaniard fishing instead of pulling them apart on PE10 on a big G....

Brock,

Keep me posted on the S/S blades....keen to hear their pitch & see the flash too!

Aaron.