Kurt Carlson

Best Gloves? Index finger is trashed
March 22, 2009, 12:02:26 PM
Hey all,

Bigger lures, heavier line = sore finger.  I am really curious which gloves you all recommend to save the casting finger and where to get them.  I have been using gardening gloves and my old dirt biking gloves lately.  They are really nasty when they get wet.

Thanks for the assistance.
Kurt

Brock Arifovic

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Best Gloves? Index finger is trashed
March 22, 2009, 12:48:14 PM
One thing that most of us try to do here is support our sponsers, so i say try Fish head, they have a range of Smith, Patriot Design & Zenaq just to name a few, but for me personally i use the Smith gloves & have just bought some of the new Patriot gloves for my up coming trip. They will look after you there.

Jon Li

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
March 22, 2009, 01:35:03 PM
Fisherman gloves would be my top of the list but my friends use other brands including diver's gloves and they still do the job .

Jon .
It's not what you don't know that gets you into trouble , it's what you know for sure that ain't so . Mark Twain .

Kasey Leong

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
March 22, 2009, 02:35:35 PM
Fisherman for me too  ;D

Most are good, but stay away from Owner C'ultiva ones. You will go through about a pair of those a trip. You want to make sure the index finger has a double layer of material for durability.
Watashi wa kawaii scon class hetadesu bakadesu JooNya Poop Poop

Rob Ciotucha

March 22, 2009, 03:04:31 PM
I also got some fisherman gloves. Cant go wrong with these.

Cheers
Rob

Chris Young

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
March 22, 2009, 07:18:28 PM
As mentioned, good popping gloves will have double leather stall on the index finger, they are still soft enough to feel the line when casting but will save the shredded finger
I have big mits and use size 3LLL in Smith gloves, even then I have to break them in (stretch them) What brand you get will depend a lot on how big your hands are.
I sugest you try them on before you buy if possible

Kurt Carlson

March 22, 2009, 08:11:00 PM
Any recommendations on where to purchase from the internet?  I tried Fish Head and could not find any.

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
March 22, 2009, 09:44:29 PM
Kurt, Fisherman gloves can be a real pain to find as supply tends to be limited.
The Smith gloves are also a very good glove and while not quite in the same class as the supercool high grip Fisherman glove, are real good and have the advantage of being readily available locally
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Scott Maybury

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
March 23, 2009, 09:01:05 AM
I got my Fisherman gloves from PLAT online, they had all sizes in stock but that was a while ago

Janelle O'Connell

• Past Sponsor
  • Fusilier
  • Liked:
March 23, 2009, 03:11:35 PM
Hi Everyone,

Fish Head have both Smith and Zenaq gloves in stock now. We also normally carry the Patriot gloves as well but they have sold out. If anyone is interested you can PM me or email [email protected] 
Due to the volume of stock we carry not everything is listed on our website, we are working on trying to get all the popping and jigging gear online to make it easier for everyone.  If ever you are chasing something and you can't find it online just drop me a line and I can give you prices availability etc.

Cheers,

Janelle
Last Edit: March 23, 2009, 06:15:38 PM by Janelle OConnell

Nathan Cefai

• Giant Trevally
  • Reel Men Smoke Stellas
  • Liked:
March 23, 2009, 04:50:48 PM
Owner gloves are quiet good also,fisherman can be so expensive just for gloves as well.. >:(

Aaron Concord

March 23, 2009, 08:10:50 PM
Just remember, when taking care of your hands:

No glove, no love.....  ;D ;D ;D

Travis Heaps

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
March 23, 2009, 08:24:25 PM
I'm not sure what a good popping/jigging set of gloves will set you back but personally I use my mountain bike gloves, http://parts.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/1/6299-xc-gloves-troy-lee-designs.html

After being throw away mtb gloves seconded to gt popping purposes they still offer great feel of the line and rod and aren't slippery at all.  Protect from the sharpest gt scutes and are comforatble to wear.  I personally would buy a new set just for popping if I needed them.  They set me back around $AUS45. 

Andre van Wyk

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • DARK CONTINENT DARKSTAR RIDER
  • Liked:
March 23, 2009, 10:32:52 PM
I agree with Travis....
I wwould love a pair of Fisherman or Smith's, but at the price, I can't risk buying the wrong size and they are not available anywhere here in South Africa, only online....

So I got a tip from Mike Tan for Fox Incline Mountain Bike gloves.... they are cheap, and work brilliantly..... most biking stores have them.... Under $20 USD... in fact they were cheaper here in SA than online in the US.... which is rare...

They work well.....

I have a pair of Pelagic's as well, which are great gloves, but a little bulky for jigging/popping all day with,they don't fit me as well, as they were bought online, but awesome for handling fish....

Last Edit: March 24, 2009, 01:37:10 AM by Andre van Wyk
To Ride, Shoot Straight and Speak the Truth...

Kurt Carlson

March 29, 2009, 07:25:40 AM
Thanks all,  I really like the idea of the mountain biking gloves.  I am still using my dirt biking gloves and they are working pretty good.  I think I will order some of the fox gloves and give them a test.