Andrew Poulos

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Rigging knots
March 28, 2009, 03:56:01 PM
Just wondering, when you are using assist cord, do prefer to use a double strand and an overhand style knot to connect the hook, or do you prefer to use a single strand of assist cord ? This is to attach a single hook to stickbaits and poppers.

Any pro/cons to both styles?

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Re: Rigging knots
March 28, 2009, 04:42:45 PM
I'm certainly no expert on this but I prefer double strand myself with an overhand style knot which I also superglue. That said, no reason why you can't use a single strand. I have some assist cord which is 1000lb breaking strain. No reason to double one so heavy up, I think.

Good thread, Andrew. I'm very interested to see what other people who use assist cord on poppers or stickbaits do.
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Andrew Poulos

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
March 29, 2009, 07:53:00 PM
Ive got some black magic rigging dacron to try out as well...has anyone tried this ? Else I will get some varivas later on to try.

Brandon, do you just glue up the knot a bit - I was thinking of putting some heat shrink over it - would that be of any help to secure the knot or just make things bulkier.

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
March 29, 2009, 09:29:34 PM
I'd go with superglue over heat shrink. I can't imagine that would do that much

Rob Ciotucha

March 29, 2009, 09:55:43 PM
As Brandon mentioned super glue would be worth a shot although i have not had a problem without it. If you like the presentation of your knots then use heat shrink as it does look nice.

Cheers
Rob

Travis Heaps

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
March 29, 2009, 11:02:02 PM
We tried Owner Assists on the rear of some poppers (tan cord, pink hook), mainly Skipjacks.  I lost interest after a "tuna" leaped clear of the water and engulfed my Skipjack.  Although it was during a Mac Tuna frenzy it was obviously not a tuna, rather a very large Spaniard,  my assist was sliced in half in half a second flat, I hardly felt any pressure (at the time, and still currently a Spaniard is high on my "TOO CATCH" list...yet I missed it).  The point i'm trying to make is that using mylar, kevlar or ziotspecialsuperstrongcordelar a toothy critter will ablitterate you, no matter what.  Yet unlike a wire trace on a trolled lure, or floated pillie, a wire assist will have no negative effect on your target species if using as a wire assist on a rapidly retrieved lure (ie popper). 

Double strand/overhand etc = why bother.  Use wire assists if popping for GT's/  They catch the unexpected toothy critters (which generally are regarded as genuine fun captures anyway - Wahoo, Spaniards etc).  The only exception is sharks...and when was the last shark on popper capture recoreded...no doubt Brandon has a story  :D ;) but the fact is it's that it'd so uncommon it's not worth worrying about.

Screw the assist cord, zero benefits, bulk losses.  Use wire or splits and swivels.  Just my 2 cents. 

Last Edit: March 29, 2009, 11:09:31 PM by travis heaps

Kai Caiyang

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
March 30, 2009, 03:39:08 AM
i would loop it and super glue the knot to minimise slippage. of course not with a 1000lb breaking strain thou.....
with a 1000lb kevlar, a single strand will be sufficient....

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
March 30, 2009, 08:45:05 AM
We tried Owner Assists on the rear of some poppers (tan cord, pink hook), mainly Skipjacks.  I lost interest after a "tuna" leaped clear of the water and engulfed my Skipjack.  Although it was during a Mac Tuna frenzy it was obviously not a tuna, rather a very large Spaniard,  my assist was sliced in half in half a second flat, I hardly felt any pressure (at the time, and still currently a Spaniard is high on my "TOO CATCH" list...yet I missed it).  The point i'm trying to make is that using mylar, kevlar or ziotspecialsuperstrongcordelar a toothy critter will ablitterate you, no matter what.  Yet unlike a wire trace on a trolled lure, or floated pillie, a wire assist will have no negative effect on your target species if using as a wire assist on a rapidly retrieved lure (ie popper). 

Double strand/overhand etc = why bother.  Use wire assists if popping for GT's/  They catch the unexpected toothy critters (which generally are regarded as genuine fun captures anyway - Wahoo, Spaniards etc).  The only exception is sharks...and when was the last shark on popper capture recoreded...no doubt Brandon has a story  :D ;) but the fact is it's that it'd so uncommon it's not worth worrying about.

Screw the assist cord, zero benefits, bulk losses.  Use wire or splits and swivels.  Just my 2 cents. 

Travis,

The forum is a place for everybody to express their comments and experience but perhaps it would be good if you could tone down the intensity of your response and be a little more open to other views.

I almost fell off my seat from the aggression of that response!

Luke

Andrew Poulos

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
March 30, 2009, 09:27:47 AM
Im not too worried about toothy critters around my way. The only teeth are either bonnies, couta, or long ton, and they arent in the same class as spaniards or wahoo.

Aaron Concord

March 30, 2009, 10:21:28 PM
Con- you lose toothy fish.
Pro- It helps keep the hook integrity at its best since the cord will twist under torque..

For long lures and place where there are big GT's, I see merit in using at least a tail assist for GT's.

The use of epoxy-resin-core heat shrink over the over-hand knot works a treat at stopping any water from rusting the hook eye.....the epoxy seals it all for good.

Aaron.

Travis Heaps

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
March 31, 2009, 10:07:00 AM
Travis,

The forum is a place for everybody to express their comments and experience but perhaps it would be good if you could tone down the intensity of your response and be a little more open to other views.

I almost fell off my seat from the aggression of that response!

Luke

No aggression intended at all Luke, sorry if anyone else took my tone out of context.

Have been open minded in the past, tried corded assists and it cost me a big fish.  Don't see any benefits to cord relative to wire assists so why take the chance? 

Getting back more specifically to the question - I think heat shrink is purely for cosmetics and wouldn't have any noticeable strengthening benefits on the rig.  The superglue on the actual knot is a good idea to help prevent slippage i'd say. 
Using double strand over single strand - the only benefit I see to that is for back up should one of the legs be abraded through (which brings me back to wire  :P ;)).  Would cost more if using expensive assist cord and I don't know if it would strengthen it at all...would it?  Would two strands of 300lb assist cord tied by a single knot to the same tow point have a greater breaking strain than 300lb?

Can't help on the actual knot side of things as we used the pre-rigged Owner assists. Another idea though - am probably being a bit daft here but what about using crimps on assist cord?  Anyone tried it?

Stephen Polzin

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
March 31, 2009, 02:20:22 PM
Or you could just save a heap of time, mucking around and anxiety and simply put some trebles on it and go fishing!  :D

sorry, just being a smart@rse, back in my box now.
Cairns Bommie Basher

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
March 31, 2009, 08:32:45 PM
only because you asked for it........

Travis Heaps

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
April 01, 2009, 10:28:27 AM
only because you asked for it........

I knew it   :D :D

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
April 01, 2009, 06:02:56 PM
They're actually not that uncommon a by-catch. Unfortunately, you nearly always lose your lure because if they don't bite you off, the leaders gets rubbed off against their bodies.