Collin Tong

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Jigging and Popping in Darwin?
April 02, 2009, 08:59:32 PM
Hi all,

I'm from Singapore and am a keen amateur angler in jigging, popping and light tackle luring. I just chanced upon some cheap airtickets that I can purchase to fly to Darwin.

Can I know if there are any good places for jigging and popping in Darwin? Contacts for fishing charters or land based fishing spots will be greatly appreciated. I'm also very keen to do some luring for the barramundi if possible. Is there any place that I can self drive to from the city area for some fishing? I'll need to buy the tickets b4 this sunday for the promotion. Much thanks in advance for any prompt responses.

Jay Burgess

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Re: Jigging and Popping in Darwin?
April 02, 2009, 09:43:29 PM
As far as I'm aware there isn't much potential for GTs around Darwin at all. I've only seen a handfull of actual proper GT captures, all of which weren't of real significant size. I've noticed most of the locals call Brassy Trevally 'GTs', but they only grow to around 8-10kg.

Peter Morris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
April 05, 2009, 01:32:41 PM
Yeah....From what Ive seen of Darwin the GT's are smaller.
Like Jay said 6-10kg fish seem common.
Ive always wondered if they are a different strain of GT's.
They are definetly different to the big oceanic ones....???

Pete

Collin Tong

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
April 06, 2009, 06:36:18 PM
Much thanks for taking time to reply my post guys. But sad to say, I have postponed my plan to Darwin as it'll be a mad rush to do planning for it. Will be heading to Bangkok to fish the mekong cats and barramundi in the ponds instead. Thanks again  :)

Mat Selwyn

April 09, 2009, 02:55:24 PM
late reply I know, and the guys are pretty right about the abundance of 6-12kg models. We do get the odd oceanic GT, mostly out wide of the harbour but quite a few get caught at night in the harbour by pro jewie fisherman.
An occasional 20+kg trev is hooked in the harbour at random spots, rarely landed as most fidhing here is done on much lighter tackle. I have hooked but not landed several fish that size landbased popping, my 50-60lb outfit getting smoked each time on nearby reef.
For landbased popping the spots are limited, East Pt, Lee Pt and West Pt (other side of harbour) are about the only options and access is tidal. Jigging around numerous wrecks and bombies scattered everywhere. 50lb jigging outfits are more than enough. Land based jigging off the wharfes is very productive for the 6-12 kg trevs.
There are at least 3 species of trevally that get called GTs up here by most fisho's, the most common is light grey and has a yellow tinge on the fins and tail, others are a blueish, tea leaf speckled one, and thirdly is a very grey type with no dots or speckles or colours on the fins.
Just thought i'd put this up for reference for others, even though the info is late.

Collin Tong

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
April 13, 2009, 02:25:44 PM
Thanks Mat. Definately useful info when I get another chance to visit Darwin when an airfare promotion comes about  ;)