Matt Harvey

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Fishing in Qatar and surrounding areas....
April 08, 2009, 08:12:34 PM
Hi guys,

I have a hint of a work opportunity that may arise in Qatar and have tried to do a bit of research to see what the fishing potential would be out there as I think in a desert state like this it would be the one thing to keep me sane.

However I couldn't find any reference to popping for GT.

Does anyone know if there's any potential for this or if this is not on the cards what other fishing would be available?

I would be a short flight away from Oman so would definitely get out there to tackle some of those beasts  :)

Cheers

Matt

Adrian Watt

Hi Matt,
I lived out in Qatar many years ago back when it was just a small capital Doha, a big desert and an oil refinery at Um-Said. We used to go offshore from Doha and hand line for reef fish, some very big groupers out there. Best place was to cut across the country due West to a place called the Inland Sea. Area around the refinery was trashed but drive south along the West coast (4wd necessary) and you will find pristine coral reefs. At least...there used to be...
Funny thing though, I don't ever recall GTs but back then I was a kid mucking about in boats and had never heard of a popper....

Matt Harvey

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Hi Adrian,

Thanks, I only just saw your reply today.

It's still a long way off but knowing it's pastime I can pursue will definitely make my decision easier to go or not.

Matt