Sam Colvin

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
The GT Rod
May 17, 2009, 11:27:22 PM
Gday All,

In search of a new rod. In the last year or so i have grown on popper fishing hugely.

I mainly jig a fair bit, but now i would love to tackle some of these big GTs over in New Cal. Hopefully early next year i can have a shot at them.

I'm after a rod that is the closest to doing everything as possible. Poppers, Stickbaits, Heavy poppers, Lighter poppers, casting ability, fighting ability etc etc..

I know i may be asking a little too much out of one rod but i just want to see whats out there.

I will be running PE10, the rods that i have been looking at that seem the goods are the RF 79Reversal, RF 78PF or Smith's Keyolhu.

Would these rods pop a G-cup? or just stick to the E-cups?

Any info would be sweet..

Cheers,
Sam
Cheers,
Sam

Kasey Leong

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
Re: The GT Rod
May 18, 2009, 12:47:12 AM
Definately not the Keyolhu, the Reversal will really struggle with G-cups.

The closest thing I have used that suits your description would be a Komodo Dragon.
Last Edit: May 18, 2009, 12:48:53 AM by Kasey Leong
Watashi wa kawaii scon class hetadesu bakadesu JooNya Poop Poop

Scott Maybury

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
May 18, 2009, 08:51:19 AM
Hi Sam, I have both the GT 79 Reversal and Komodo Dragon. Very different rods, but if you want to fish big lures and have something of an all rounder, the KD is far superior to the 79R.

Recently in New Cal I used both, and the KD fished G-cup and I-cups well, and I used a stick bait at one stage on it and it was ok (not great). However, the GT79R I have found really struggles to work any lure over about 170-180, so that next level of big popper is just out of reach for it.

I much prefere the feel of the GT79R, and I think it is a good all round stick (for casting, poppers, stick bait and fighting comfort) but only up to about 170gm.

Sam Colvin

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
May 18, 2009, 06:57:32 PM
Yeh thanks boys.

I have loaded the KD at work and it seemed to be quite a slow taper!

Also loaded up the Tokara which was a faster action with a soft tip than the KD, in which i like!

From alot of different reports i have read the GT79R, seems to be a good allrounder.

But after hearing and reading so many reports of how good G & I cups are over in New Cal it would be silly to have a rod that couldn't pop them.

I know a lot of you guys would be think get a seperate rod for each, but unfortunately i'm studying at the moment so yeh most of you would know the coin situation..

Thanks again,
Sam
Cheers,
Sam

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
May 18, 2009, 08:47:51 PM
Sam, if you're looking for an all-rounder, a Komodo is a good compromise. Realistically, there is no such thing as a rod that will handle everything well. The Komodo though will handle most things reasonably well though and while you will get away with it with an I Cup, it will be groaning on a popper of this size. That said, you won't be fishing an I Cup for very long, I can guarantee you that!

if you're a bit stretched as a student. look for the Komodo with the decal, not the woven model. It's the same blank but just doesn't look quite as nice as the woven writing.
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Sam Colvin

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
May 18, 2009, 11:04:32 PM
Thanks Brandon

Yeh got the "sticker" model KD at work and will be getting that model if i decide on one.

Comes down to the Tokara and Komodo, i'll have to do some research i think..

Thanks for the info everyone

Sam
Cheers,
Sam

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
May 19, 2009, 07:50:31 AM
very easy choice between those two!   :D
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Sam Colvin

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
May 19, 2009, 08:25:56 PM
why is it such an easy choice Brandon?
Cheers,
Sam

AustralianAngling

May 19, 2009, 08:53:43 PM
Hi Sam

I have the 3 new proto types arriving for the PNG trip next month and then guys will test during this season in Cairns. New models due release 2010.

Cheers
Steve

Sam Colvin

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
May 19, 2009, 09:49:03 PM
Cheers Steve,

I'll give you a call during the week and have a chat about some rods & lures etc.

Along with all the boys on here, my bro, Jarrad has convinced me to get a Komodo.

Cheers,
Sam (from Campbells Pro Tackle btw)

Cheers,
Sam

Kasey Leong

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
May 20, 2009, 02:31:05 AM
I've heard the new Smith model is going to come with a very hefty price tag!
Watashi wa kawaii scon class hetadesu bakadesu JooNya Poop Poop

Jay Burgess

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
May 20, 2009, 08:00:59 AM
Hi Sam

I have the 3 new proto types arriving for the PNG trip next month and then guys will test during this season in Cairns. New models due release 2010.

Cheers
Steve

Any chance we could see some specs?

AustralianAngling

May 20, 2009, 10:29:53 PM
I've heard the new Smith model is going to come with a very hefty price tag!

I doubt will be any more than current models from my discussions with them.

AustralianAngling

May 20, 2009, 10:34:08 PM
Hi Sam

Cheers
Steve

Any chance we could see some specs?

No not giving anything away yet. Those that are fishing with me this year will get to test though.