Kurt Carlson

Daiwa Catalina 6500 Reviews?
July 04, 2009, 05:46:45 AM
Hi All,

Anyone have any experience with the new Daiwa Catalina 6500?

http://www.daiwafishing.com.au/daiwa.cfm?page=news&news=newsArchives&article=20090402-catalina6500

I was wondering if the ratio is a bit low for popping, even though it is not as low as my old Penn 850.

I currently have a Saragosa 18k and am not really pleased with it.  I got it in January and it has already developed wobble in the handle and the spool. It sounds like it is scraping when there is a load as small as a lure.

I go fishing a lot and I need a reel that will stand up to fishing twice a week.  Doesn't mean I will be catching everytime.  ???  (i wish)

Thanks,
Kurt

jay currie

Re: Daiwa Catalina 6500 Reviews?
July 04, 2009, 10:30:24 PM
Hey mate I dont know much about the catalina 6500 but had a mate fish with a 4500 and 50lb line in Fiji he landed the biggest fish for the trip 24kg seemed to handle it just fine. What do you think of the penn reels and how much? I have a mate coming to Fiji next year hows after a cheap Gt combo

Jon Li

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
July 04, 2009, 10:57:11 PM
In my observation , this Catalina is a rebadged Saltiga Blast , at least in #4000 n #4500 sizes but not sure with #6000 . It's more like Daiwa is trying not to " cheapen " the existing Saltiga brand and addressed this Catalina to compete with Shimano Twinpower SW .

Jon . 

It's not what you don't know that gets you into trouble , it's what you know for sure that ain't so . Mark Twain .

Kurt Carlson

July 06, 2009, 06:05:52 PM
Hey Jay,

As for the Penn 850, the one I have is really old.  I am not really familiar with the new ones.  My old one is near bullet proof.  It is slow on the retrieve and is not balanced well, but it just refuses to die.  I think if the 850 line is holding true to form your friend would do well getting one as an entry level reel.