Andrew Poulos

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Kaibutsu Pencil Instrument
October 04, 2009, 09:09:15 AM
Hi,

Has anyone used the pencil instrument at all ?

Length 8ft 4
Fuji CMNSG/CMNST SIC guide
Lure weight 150gm
PE 4-6

Pencil instrument:  This fast action road is suitable for casting pencil poppers & stickbaits of up to 150grms with the line rating of up to PE6. Most suitable for reel of 6000 to 8000 size

I was looking for something tippy to take off the rocks to use with stickbaits. I use a monster mesh 8'3 and 80TN which are quite stiff for smaller lures, and I want a separate combo rigged with a stickbait and was thinking of this one. I would love a Carpenter TBL rod, but too expensive for where I fish. Any other reasonable alternatives.

cheers

Hon-Su Chin

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
Re: Kaibutsu Pencil Instrument
October 05, 2009, 12:46:08 AM
Ive got one. Great rod for casting the not so big poppers but its especially great for stickies. Ive used mine with both Stella 8000FA and EXP 6500. They can certainly handle 80lb comfortably. This is probably one of my favourites landbased rod. Unfortunately for me, its not much use in Perth and have never used it in anger....well sting rays dont count...mine is up for sale.

http://www.gtpopping.com/forum/index.php?topic=1446.0

Andrew Poulos

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
October 05, 2009, 09:30:14 AM
Cheers for the feedback Hon-Su.So its definitely less stiff than the Mesh and Dorado ...  Postage would be $$.
Last Edit: October 05, 2009, 10:45:37 AM by Andrew Poulos

Hon-Su Chin

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
October 05, 2009, 10:52:10 AM
Well....its about on par with the Saltiga TN. It is rated PE 4-6 after all. For landbase fishing it is a better rod than the TN.
The thing is you are casting upto 150gm so anything softer will have to be a 100gm PE3-4 rod.

Andrew Poulos

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
October 05, 2009, 06:31:59 PM
Hmm, if the action is close to that of the rods I already have might as well stick with them for now and save up for a different rod later on. Have my eye on some longer rods for Xmas so will wait till then.

cheers