Travis Heaps

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Cumberland Islands QLD
December 10, 2009, 11:35:48 AM
Leader system sounds fine for the rocks Angus - getting rubbed off at the leader like that is just part of land based i'd say.  Only way to increase durability would be heavier mono for your twisties.  Did you get any strikes from the spanos at all?

Angus Hulme

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
December 10, 2009, 11:43:37 AM
yeah, one strike on popper and 2 on stickbaits. None actually hooked up for more than about 2 seconds.  :( Some good teeth marks though. I wonder if the teeth dig in too much and stop the lure pulling through the mouth to find the hook point. The spaniards simply let the lure go when they realize it's not edible?

Warwick Joyce

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
December 10, 2009, 01:00:48 PM
I think Spano's are notorious for tail biting then coming back for seconds, perhaps the initial strike is as simple as bite once and let go then return to eat.
Another explanation for poor hookup rates on them is that they are quite soft so heavy drags will result in pulled hooks. Its a shame too because I welcome them as a by catch! Only takes one big one to fill the freezer :)

Jay Burgess

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
December 10, 2009, 01:06:13 PM
I think Spano's are notorious for tail biting then coming back for seconds, perhaps the initial strike is as simple as bite once and let go then return to eat.
Another explanation for poor hookup rates on them is that they are quite soft so heavy drags will result in pulled hooks. Its a shame too because I welcome them as a by catch! Only takes one big one to fill the freezer :)

Yeah pulled hooks is very common when hooking Spaniards on GT gear... I think my strike rate is only about 1 or 2 landed for every 10 hooked! Also, they have a tendancy to swim back towards the boat once hooked making it extremely difficult to maintain pressure and with barbless GT hooks they inevitably fall out.

Dave Foyle

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
December 10, 2009, 09:17:20 PM
Some good looking fish there - congratulations.

On the leader - you could shorten the twisty a couple of feet and double uni or crimp 30 inches of 250lb (or heavier) on as a bite leader.

Angus Hulme

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
December 11, 2009, 11:26:58 AM
Thanks Dave, does the connection between the twistie and the heavy bite leader section become quite bulky and visible? Or doesn't it matter?

Found a couple more pics. These are 2 of the factory produced lures that copped a bit of punishment (admittedly the broken hook was a Decoy Cutlass, so maybe next time I should look at the Owners?) .....

Last Edit: December 11, 2009, 11:29:48 AM by Angus Hulme

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
December 11, 2009, 01:22:02 PM
Thanks Dave, does the connection between the twistie and the heavy bite leader section become quite bulky and visible? Or doesn't it matter?

For heavy popping it is fine. The join is usually out or above the water a majority of the time and has negligible effect on casting distance etc. Obviously, if you are fishing lighter, you may intentionally want a lighter more finesse leader system.

For stickbaits, I personally would steer clear of crimps/twisties and opt for single strand leaders.

Graham Scott

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
December 11, 2009, 09:59:19 PM
Awesome!

Angus Hulme

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
December 12, 2009, 01:00:34 PM
Thanks Graham

Luke, ta for your suggestions. We were using a twisted leader for both poppers and stickbaits.......do you think a twisted leader becomes too visible for underwater presentations? If so, do you change your entire leader system every time you switch from a popper to a stickbait, or do you fish multiple rods in any given session to allow both leader systems?

Thanks
Angus

Travis Heaps

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
December 12, 2009, 01:46:51 PM
....or do you fish multiple rods in any given session to allow both leader systems?

STOP!!  You don't to know the answer to this Angus...it = expensive  :D ;)

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
December 13, 2009, 11:19:52 AM
Thanks Graham

Luke, ta for your suggestions. We were using a twisted leader for both poppers and stickbaits.......do you think a twisted leader becomes too visible for underwater presentations? If so, do you change your entire leader system every time you switch from a popper to a stickbait, or do you fish multiple rods in any given session to allow both leader systems?

Thanks
Angus

Hi Angus,

I do errrr when using twisted leaders for stickbaits. However, there will be times when it simply doesn't matter - but when it does, and the fish are fussy/timid - I will stick with the single strand leader system. And yes, I have a multitude of rods rigged for specific lures and presentations :)

Dave Foyle

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
December 13, 2009, 09:00:46 PM
Hi Angus,

I've been running a 200lb twisty's double uni'd to a 300lb bite leader for my last few trips for stickbaits and poppers - these have been trips where the GT's seemed to be on fire so maybe I haven't come across GT's in a more difficult mood yet  ;D

Tight lines   Dave 

Stephen Polzin

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
December 14, 2009, 02:27:21 PM
Nice one Angus, great pics.  What do you think of the Medalist gloves? 
Cairns Bommie Basher

Andre van Wyk

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • DARK CONTINENT DARKSTAR RIDER
  • Liked:
December 14, 2009, 08:46:51 PM
Absolutely fantastic stuff Angus... incredible fish and fishing, and on your own home made lures is just magic mate, a HUGE congratulations my friend, I cannot even imagine how great it must feel!!

To Ride, Shoot Straight and Speak the Truth...

Angus Hulme

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
December 15, 2009, 10:33:09 AM
Dave, yeah, when the fish (& not just GT fishing) are a bit more shut down is when you learn more about what works and what doesn't, hey? Not just leaders, but lure selection, colours, etc.

Ta Steve, yeah, more than happy with the gloves mate....as you know, I wasn't after anything fancy, just something cheap that did the job. And they were fine.

Thanks Andre, pretty good feeling, I must admit. Your encouragement has been much appreciated since you first saw the lures, so cheers mate!