Scott Williams

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Testing Knots against Failure ?
December 27, 2009, 11:08:26 PM
I am curious to hear how people test their knots after tying, especially when "out in the field". I usually do what everyone does, glove up, plenty of wraps and pull apart close to the chest as hard as possible. However, I am unsure of the pressure I would be applying, 20 or 30 kilo max? Tried it a while ago with scales, albeit very uncomfortably, and I think by memory it was only about 15 kilos.

When using 100pound line and heavier leader, does this technique cut it? Obviously some knots "look" like they have been tied correctly, but is the pull method and appearance alone adequate?

Thanks,
Scott.

Chuen Fan

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
Re: Testing Knots against Failure ?
December 27, 2009, 11:52:12 PM
I leave the braid on the reel, lock up the drag, palm the spool then pull on the leader to tie and test friction knots. Have cut too many pairs of gloves with braid to wrap around the hands. Need to invest in one of those knot tying tools I think, but this method has worked best for me. I think the more you practise and test your knots whilst out of the fishing field, the more confident you'll be out on it! 
AKA: Sunny

Ken Best

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
December 28, 2009, 07:13:39 AM
Scott,

I have a couple of peices of aluminium pipe 175mm long, 25mm diameter covered in thick heatshrink tubing.
Once the knot is tied, put 8 wraps of braid around one tube and 4 wraps of leader around the other. Be careful not to cross over the wraps as they will damage themselves if they slip.

Place the leader wrapped tube on the floor(protected with a towel) and stand on it, alternatively, find a friend to hold it.
Give the knot a firm pull till it snugs up.

Ken
"Beer makes you feel the way you ought to, without beer" (Henry Lawson)

adrien antunes

December 28, 2009, 05:51:21 PM
 ;D I test alwats my knots,no scales  8)I pull if I cant break I'm happy ;D ;D

Sachin Chaudhry

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
December 28, 2009, 08:59:14 PM
I use a bimini in the main line connected via an Albright (40 turn) to the leader. Finished with 10 alternate half hitches and a clinch to lock it all up. No need to test as the knot itself is so strong and durable. Bulky but since I use relatively short leaders that I do not cast through the guides it is not an issue.

Dave Foyle

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
December 29, 2009, 09:50:40 PM
If I'm re-tying on the boat I wrap the leader around a rod holder on one of the rocket launchers and get both gloved hands around the braid - I can really put some pressure through this to snug everything down.  Like the idea of the ali tubes shrink wrapped - nice one Ken.

Scott Williams

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
December 30, 2009, 08:06:08 PM
That's a good idea Ken, I had a similar idea of sleeving some thick walled reinforced hose (similar to extra heavy duty garden hose really) over some solid bar, but it never got off the ground.

Sachin, interesting that you don't test the knot at all, mate I double check my shoelaces most days !

Scott.

Sachin Chaudhry

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
January 01, 2010, 01:07:38 PM
Just one of those knots that I have absolute faith in Scott. So far so good.

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
January 15, 2010, 09:10:14 AM
i don't test my knots at all after tying them when out in the field. To me, the worst time to have any doubts whatsoever about your knot tying ability is out there on a trip. There are enough other things to worry about that you don't want to have any concerns about this rather critical aspect.

if you use friction knots, my suggestion is to practice and practice and practice until you have zero doubt in your mind about the security of your knots. I primarily use FG and some PR knots. With the FG, you can see the braid biting into the leader when tightening the half hitches. That is enough for me.
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Colin P

January 16, 2010, 04:27:56 AM
i don't test my knots at all after tying them when out in the field. To me, the worst time to have any doubts whatsoever about your knot tying ability is out there on a trip. There are enough other things to worry about that you don't want to have any concerns about this rather critical aspect.

if you use friction knots, my suggestion is to practice and practice and practice until you have zero doubt in your mind about the security of your knots. I primarily use FG and some PR knots. With the FG, you can see the braid biting into the leader when tightening the half hitches. That is enough for me.

Hear hear Brandon. :)

I'd sooner spend my fishing time fishing than testing knots, measuring precise drag settings etc. etc!! ;)

Callan Wallace

January 16, 2010, 05:06:08 AM
I agree, I did all of my testing while learning to tie them. You are spot on Brandon, there should be no question about wether it will hold. If it does not look like a good knot cut it off and tie another, then fish.

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
January 16, 2010, 09:17:54 AM
can I say, I've learned from painful experience over the years and unfortunately, continue to do so. I lost one of the biggest GTs I've hooked a number of years back when a FG failed. Of course, the FG slipped because this idiot didn't tie it properly. I of course blamed the knot though and went to twisted leaders for a few years and then also paid the price on one Nomad trip when I was careless with the catspaw and it cut through the loop in the twisted leader!

Last year, I lost a very good fish on light tackle when a Carins quickie slipped under heavy pressure. Again, no one to blame but myself. I had some lingering doubts about my Carins quickie because I had gotten the odd one to slip during my break tests but it was so convenient I stuck with it. I've learnt my lesson now. For light tackle now, its a FG or a variant of the GT knot they use in Perth.

Rick Smith

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
January 16, 2010, 10:37:36 AM
Brandon, can I ask if your FG after the cris-cross wraps has some space between them and the half-hitches. When I tie the mid-knot it is very uniform and even. But, my FG always has this spacing. I do like the FG, though because I can tie it much faster.

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
January 16, 2010, 12:24:00 PM
I know what you're referring to, Rick. Mine do not because after I tie my first half hitch, I push it back towards the criss-crosses before tying another half hitch and then tightening it.

I've seen two different masters of the knot tie it and they tie it very differently. Richard Foong will tie the knot with the half hitches and then tightens it by pulling on the braid and the leader hard. What this does is stretch the knot and gets the braid to bite into the mono leader. This also result then is a very small space between the half hitch and the criss-crosses. He then finishes the knot by burining the tip and then doing the half hitches up the braid. Richard's method is what I recommend to anyone new with the knot as it is almost foolproof. You can see the braid bite into the mono.

Kenji Konishi ties everything including the half hitches down the braid and then he simply burns the tip. he doesn't stretch the knot although he does tighten his half hitches as he ties them. On the boat though, he simply tightens the half hitches with his teeth and doesn't even bother with the half hitches down the braid. Obviously works for him

Rick Smith

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
January 17, 2010, 02:55:08 AM
Thanks, Brandon. I always try to push the first half hitches back to the criss-crosses, but I just can't get it to stay. Guess I need to practice more.