Vic Levett

Stanage Bay Part 2
January 17, 2010, 09:00:21 PM
We arrived around a week after Howler at Stanage . I got a bit side tracked at Awonga on the way up trying to get another metre Barra only to fall short by 2 cms . Kath my wife got smocked by a beast and we vowed we will return to torment that big mumma next season . We towed the Blackrat (6.8 m Noble center cab  from South West Rocks and the drive in on the 100 ks of dirt  was uneventful as it had been recently graded. I wouldnt like to be doing it now after all  the rain and xmas rush We met up with Tony and Steve organized accom and then on the following morning we ventured forth to battle the legendary Shoalwater GTs . Howler headed south and we (Kyle 10 Zane 7 and Kath) east to the Percys . The ramp was  easy all but the last 2 hours of the tide . Gts were at most of the fishy looking areas but staying connected or even connecting wasnt that easy . On average we would raise a dozen fish a day but 4 landed was our best . Halcos Dumbells and Nomad Stickbaits were the stand outs for casting distance , popperability ( new word) and strikes . We used standard Saltiga Expedition Rods and reels and 80 lb Cast man braid with 120 bit leader and twisty windons . In all we got dusted by 1 fish in Shite country and broke bite leader on 3.and they were at the knot, 4 turn Uni knot Owner error no doubt .
Each afternoon after fishing we would meet up with the boys to swap bullshit , fry up some coral trout,  drink a few beers  then crash out till the morning and do it all again . It was a great trip and the weather was perfect . We have llready committed to doing it again next year . The boats going to get an extra fuel and water tank and maybe some new springs on the trailer .
Word of note
If ya planning to go to Stanage take all your supplies and fishing gear .
its a Very Small Town
Cheers
Vic

Vic Levett

Re: Stanage Bay Part 2
January 17, 2010, 09:03:10 PM
more photos

Vic Levett

January 17, 2010, 09:11:21 PM
more

Vic Levett

January 17, 2010, 09:12:30 PM
more

Vic Levett

January 17, 2010, 09:15:14 PM
more

Vic Levett

January 17, 2010, 09:17:56 PM
more

Vic Levett

January 17, 2010, 09:21:53 PM
2more

Vic Levett

January 17, 2010, 09:28:00 PM
last ones

Vic Levett

January 17, 2010, 09:31:06 PM
xxx

Ken Best

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
January 17, 2010, 09:39:50 PM
Well done Vic and family.
Great report and wonderful pics.
Awoonga is an addiction isn't it, my PB is 109cm caught casting a Classic in the sticks.

Ken
"Beer makes you feel the way you ought to, without beer" (Henry Lawson)

Sam Conacher

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
January 17, 2010, 10:11:58 PM
awesome Vic with some good one's caught and a variety of fish caught obviously (with-out being rude).

i have heard and also from what i can remember,  if you get or c or catch a Longtom(s) it mean's - very, very good quality and good temp, e.t.c water present in that area,  just curious as to if anyone know's if that is true?

Vic,

just wondering do you know if there is or are any charter's which take angler's popper fishing at Stanage?

just wondering,  what was the king caught on?
Last Edit: January 17, 2010, 10:14:12 PM by Sam Conacher

Jeen Raj

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
January 17, 2010, 11:36:56 PM
good stuff vic. Nothing to beat a family trip! that Barra a beauty ! my favourite fish

Jeen

Vic Levett

January 18, 2010, 11:21:44 AM
Gday Sam  Yepoon is the only port were u could charter a sportsfishing boat , and really its not that far away . Theres miles of country from Yepoon to Stanage and u probablly wouldnt need to go that far north to get into good GT fishing . Summer the best time of year for them and then its just a matter of getting good weather
Kingy was caught on Soft Plastic , i wouldve sworn it was a big GT . regards Vic

Nathan Cefai

• Giant Trevally
  • Reel Men Smoke Stellas
  • Liked:
January 18, 2010, 11:32:50 AM
Hey Vic,good work mate,some great shots there,always a kingy lurking around somewhere to catch to!  ;)

Sam Cheadle

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
January 18, 2010, 12:30:02 PM
Nice report mate.

The picture of ur wife got a lot of views! but she has got a couple of nice fish