Khaled Altaher

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Custom rod builders
January 28, 2010, 12:35:18 AM
I have the Shimano Kaibatsu Long Cast 8'2" I really like the rod, but I hate the long butt section. I was wondering if there are any rod builders who could modify the lower section of the grip by making it shorter maybe 3-5 inches without affecting the overall rod balance & strength?
Last Edit: January 28, 2010, 01:09:03 AM by khaled altaher

earlhamilton

Re: Custom rod builders
January 28, 2010, 01:14:47 AM
Hi Khaled.
If you shorten the butt it will affect the action of the rod making it slower. It may not change the strength, but it will affect the balance. If you think you can live with this then I would think most tackle shops would know of someone that could shorten the rod for you.

Jon Li

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
January 28, 2010, 02:25:05 AM
Hi Khaled ,

To get the best measurement , the distance from the gimbal butt to the center of the reel seat should approximate your widest shoulder measurement .

Jon .
Last Edit: January 28, 2010, 02:41:20 AM by Jon Li
It's not what you don't know that gets you into trouble , it's what you know for sure that ain't so . Mark Twain .

earlhamilton

January 28, 2010, 03:01:33 PM
I'm glad you said that Jon. Alot of people are not aware of that.

Andy Rowe

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
January 28, 2010, 07:14:27 PM
Hi Khaled.
If you shorten the butt it will affect the action of the rod making it slower. It may not change the strength, but it will affect the balance. If you think you can live with this then I would think most tackle shops would know of someone that could shorten the rod for you.

Earl,

Interesting concept, conversely will making a handle longer speed up a rods action then??

I'm looking at a customising a rod to add 2" to the handle!!

Cheers
Andy
Set the ray to GeeT

earlhamilton

January 29, 2010, 12:44:16 AM
Hi Andy,
The answer to you question the answer is yes. Lengthening the rod by adding to the butt has the effect of moving the "lock up" point toward the tip, the reverse of shortening the rod by cutting from the butt, which moves the lock up point closer to the butt.

Khaled Altaher

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
February 13, 2010, 07:27:53 PM
Any specific shop names please?

Jon Li

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
February 13, 2010, 08:20:01 PM

[/quote]

Earl,

Interesting concept, conversely will making a handle longer speed up a rods action then??

Cheers
Andy
[/quote]

Andy ,

Is this for your SP78H SHP ?

Jon .
It's not what you don't know that gets you into trouble , it's what you know for sure that ain't so . Mark Twain .

Andy Rowe

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
February 13, 2010, 09:21:37 PM

Earl,

Cheers
Andy
[/quote]

Andy ,

Is this for your SP78H SHP ?

Jon .
[/quote]

Hi Jon,

No, I am toying with the idea of custom ordering a ripple fisher Aquila 76 with an extra 2" in the handle to use as a multi purpose PE5 rod, but still have not decided between it and the BC75.

You have given me an idea though regarding the SP78H SHP, could carpenter do a custom order for the longer handle I wonder, without using the aluminium extension.

Cheers
Andy
Set the ray to GeeT