mike burgess

Fiji - Yasawa islands
January 29, 2010, 03:36:47 PM
Hi All,

I am going to the Yasawa islands in Fiji for the first week of March.
We are staying at the Waya Lailai Ecohaven resort on the southern tip of the Yasawa's and will be taken out from there to fish.
I have never fished in Fiji & was wondering if anyone knows what this area is like for GT's?
Any help much appreciated.

Mike

mike burgess

Re: Fiji - Yasawa islands
January 31, 2010, 09:09:02 AM
Anyone fished the Yasawa islands in Fiji ?
I'm keen to find out if its any good otherwise me will have to research getting on charters elsewhere in Fiji.
Thanks.

Travis Heaps

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
January 31, 2010, 10:19:20 AM
http://www.yasawa.com/popup_catchresults.php?page=1

That link has summary trip reports for a charter out of a resort in the Yasawa islands for basically the whole of 2008.  Gives you some idea. There was another link I came across that had photos of GT's from around Yasawa.  There are other operations purpose setup for GT's out of Fiji - Ocean Blue operate from Ono Island and Adrian Watt from Kadavu are names that ring a bell. 

Note - I'm not up with my Fiji geography so whether some of these are same, similar or completely different to where you're going i'm not sure  ;)

Scott Maybury

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
January 31, 2010, 02:37:59 PM
Hey,

I haven't fished the Yasawas but just returned from a trip to Kadavu, report posted a week and a bit ago.

Popper fishing, we fished the reef edges, casting into the swell basically where it breaks on the reef. Kadavu has a large barrier reef called the Astrolabe and this is where the GT hold up, crusing the edges looking for hapless prey.

Looking at Google Earth, the Yasawas don't seem to have quite the same structure, though down towwards the southern islands like Naviti and Yanggeta there is some interesting reef structure. I guess it would be surprising if there were not GT there, but size and numbers is anyone's guess.

Part of the challenge may also be finding a skipper who has enough knowledge to put you onto the fish that are there. It seems that many charters in Fiji, and similar places, are more focused on trolling for pelagic food/sports species like tuna, marlin, mahi mahi and mackerel. They may well be willing to pull up to the reef and let you cast at it, but knowing where and why the fish hold up where they do and the times to fish for them is as you know critical.

Good luck with it. If you decide to try and jump on a charter elsewhere in the Fiji Islands this time or some other time, I can't recommend Adrian's services at Matava Resort enough.

mike burgess

February 01, 2010, 10:30:18 AM
thanks guys.
Maybe a trip to Kadavu needs to be arranged also.

Sam Cheadle

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
February 01, 2010, 11:21:54 AM
thanks guys.
Maybe a trip to Kadavu needs to be arranged also.

Hi Mike,

I wouldn't even bother with anywhere else in Fiji mate - just get your ass to Kadavu - hook up with Adrian and enjoy the best fishing Fiji has got to offer. Afterwards you will know you've made the right decision!

Cheers Sam