Peter Morris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Coral Sea Marine Park Proposals..!!!!
March 26, 2010, 12:02:50 PM
I just got a hold of the Map showing the Marine Park propsals for the Coral sea.

What an absolute tragedy it will be if this is allowed to go ahead.

Have a look at the size of the proposed area:

http://www.environment.gov.au/coasts/mbp/publications/east/fs-coral-sea.html

Through various websites I have been doing what we all can do and that is pepper these politicians with emails and letters.
I have sent 4 emails to Garrett and Rudd for not one single reponse.

Everyone should have a read through this link:......copy and paste the emails and send them on.

http://www.fishingdvd.com.au/fishing_issues_1.php

Its very scary whats happening with fishing.

Pete

Travis Heaps

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
Re: Coral Sea Marine Park Proposals..!!!!
March 26, 2010, 12:43:01 PM
Typically - it's very all encompassing and grand while at the same time being very light on detail isn't it.  And at almost 1000000 square kilometres it's a scary proposition when they are suggesting they'd like the plan to cover the - protection of seafloor features (e.g. seamounts, atolls, plateaus, deep sea plains and canyons) and associated ecological processes and biodiversity across a range
of depths

What's that mean exactly?  Also I see there that it said there is no plan to establish a large no take zone.  I heard the other day it was planned for it to be a no take zone? 

It's definitely scary for fishing as a whole - the green zone process is one where they continually nibble away, taking a bit here and a bit there - it's enough to draw a few heated responses but it's not enough to get everyone up in arms as a whole.  This doesn't take that approach, rather it's using the distance from the mainland factor to lull the majority of people into a sense of "oh well, doesn't worry me".  I can see the day coming where there is going to be very few places left for people to recreationally fish.  It's an issue, and an emotive one - the problem is the majority of fisher people are too laconic to do anything about it where as the environmental groups are passionate, well funded and consequently far more capable of pushing political and popular opinion.

Peter Morris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
March 26, 2010, 02:50:21 PM
Im sure most fisho's can live with a 'No Take' zone......IF (and its a big if) thats all it is.

PEW and these other environmental groups are pushing constantly for complete lock outs.
That is No fishing whatsoever......without any scientific basis for there extreme claims.

Pete

Greg Burt

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
March 26, 2010, 05:29:07 PM
Greg 'FFF' Burt

John Campbell

• Fusilier
  • winner 2010 MC award Elusive GT tournament
  • Liked:
March 26, 2010, 06:52:49 PM

sounds like there must be  an election coming up soon ?  :P :)

there is an article in the latest Fishing World magazine about the editor having a sit down and chat
with mr Garrett makes for interesting reading.

Hey Bun which marine areas is he talking about here  :o :o

Peter Morris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
March 26, 2010, 07:12:59 PM

sounds like there must be  an election coming up soon ?  :P :)

Exactly... ::)......convenient timing.

Pete

Greg Burt

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
March 26, 2010, 08:37:03 PM
I presume all the existing Green Zones John, at least slowed down PEW [has a on the nose ring to it] for now  :-\, but they'll be back  >:(.
Greg 'FFF' Burt

John Campbell

• Fusilier
  • winner 2010 MC award Elusive GT tournament
  • Liked:
March 26, 2010, 09:11:36 PM
I presume all the existing Green Zones John, at least slowed down PEW [has a on the nose ring to it] for now  , but they'll be back  .

I think that description of there name  says it all  !!!!  hopefully we will have a more united front to tackle them with next time 

Warwick Joyce

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
March 30, 2010, 12:52:51 PM
I dont mind a few green zones, it has to be good for fish stocks. But I also like to fish!! What I would really like to see though is a rotation of the zones, eg green zone for 5 years then changed to a yellow or blue for a couple of years.
I certainly hope they don't green zone the ribbon reefs as that is one place I have to fish!

Peter Morris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
March 30, 2010, 01:22:55 PM
I dont mind a few green zones, it has to be good for fish stocks. But I also like to fish!! What I would really like to see though is a rotation of the zones, eg green zone for 5 years then changed to a yellow or blue for a couple of years.
I certainly hope they don't green zone the ribbon reefs as that is one place I have to fish!

Yeah I personally think there is enough 'Green Zones'.
I would and and I feel many anglers would be happy with 'No take zones' where catch and release fishing was still allowed.
Sure there would be some teething problems with these but on the whole I reckon people would do the right thing.

Pete