Dave Huck

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Stella Rebuild
June 07, 2010, 09:01:14 PM
Hi Folks,

Back from Guinea-Bissau, we caught plenty of Jacks, plus lots of other species. Most importantly I started to learn all about popping and Jigging and had an excellent time. Now pondering a quick (3-4 day) trip to the Musandam early next year to try for my first GT (would love to do the full Salalah trip but I just don't have the time at the moment and Musandam looks do-able for a long weekend).

But I digress........ Now I'm back I'm sorting out tackle and an old Stella 2000 has turned up. It was in a boat that capsized on Lake Vic about 12 years ago and filled with sand before we could right the boat  :(. I approached Shimano UK about stripping and cleaning the reel but they refused on the grounds that the job would take too much time.

Can anybody recommend a good reel shop anywhere in the world that would be able to strip clean and rebuild the reel?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Dave

David Rapley

Re: Stella Rebuild
June 09, 2010, 06:47:11 PM
HI Dave,
              Um mate as i work in a shop that does servicing and repairs, id kinda say that the cost of properly stripping cleaning and especially replacing needed parts ( and by the sounds of it there would be an awful lot if the reel has gone that long after being submerged), would be rather outlandish and that maybe sourcing a well looked after second hand model and purchasing would be money better spent.

Is hard to find a tackle outlet with a reel servicer who is competent enough to truly do high end reels like that justice, especially being ruthless enough when it comes to replacing parts on a fully submersed reel, as if they dont do it properly then the new parts wont last.

Personally id spend the money on a good second hand (non submersed) model.

Good luck mate, Dave

Jon Li

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
June 09, 2010, 07:13:50 PM
Hi Dave ,

12 years ago means this Stella is the silver one , I just got back my STL10000PG ( 5:1 ratio ) from the authorized Shimano dealer , it took them almost 8 months to find the suitable alternative components to repair my reel , it now sports 6:1 gear ratio as they could not find the same gear assembly in Shimano Japan inventory .

If that reel of yours is not in anyway requires any replacement parts , I am sure a reliable reel servicing person can handle the works required , bearings n drag washers are easily sourced , not sure other propreitory components though . Good luck with the reel .

Jon .

It's not what you don't know that gets you into trouble , it's what you know for sure that ain't so . Mark Twain .

Andy Rowe

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
June 10, 2010, 10:49:54 AM
Jon, although you did not get it restored to it's original state, you should be happy now your old stella will be more suited to your top-water addiction ;)

Hi Dave ,

12 years ago means this Stella is the silver one , I just got back my STL10000PG ( 5:1 ratio ) from the authorized Shimano dealer , it took them almost 8 months to find the suitable alternative components to repair my reel , it now sports 6:1 gear ratio as they could not find the same gear assembly in Shimano Japan inventory .

If that reel of yours is not in anyway requires any replacement parts , I am sure a reliable reel servicing person can handle the works required , bearings n drag washers are easily sourced , not sure other propreitory components though . Good luck with the reel .

Jon .
Set the ray to GeeT

John Joubert

June 10, 2010, 02:59:35 PM
Try contacting Jack Erskine(ErskinesTackle?) in Cairns,Australia.. he would be able to do it or know of someone who can.
JJ

Jon Li

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
June 10, 2010, 03:17:08 PM
Jon, although you did not get it restored to it's original state, you should be happy now your old stella will be more suited to your top-water addiction ;)

Hi Dave ,

Jon .

Hi Andrew ,

It was meant for spare jigging n popping outfit at 5:1 but in reality I never used it for jigging .

Jon . 
It's not what you don't know that gets you into trouble , it's what you know for sure that ain't so . Mark Twain .

Dave Huck

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
June 10, 2010, 10:17:04 PM
Try contacting Jack Erskine(ErskinesTackle?) in Cairns,Australia.. he would be able to do it or know of someone who can.
JJ

Thanks John, I'll give Jack a call. I know the reel has been immersed but it was freshwater so hopefully the damage is limited...... Nothing ventured nothing gained!

Cheers

Dave