Scott Maybury

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Owatatsumi Poppers Non-Delivery
June 11, 2010, 09:41:24 AM
Hey guys,

Just wanted to put a heads up without too much of a rant.

There was a post on here last year about these lures, made in Germany, which I had seen advertised on PLAT (but always out of stock)....anyway, they are a pretty blatant rip off of some well known designs by the looks of them, and I don't normally buy 'knock offs' but was keen to add some cheap-ish poppers to my arsenal and give them a go, so I ordered some for a mate and I.

In August 2009.

Delivery was supposed to be within 2 months as they were about to do their production run.

Anyway, after a lot of toing and froing (including a couple of requests to confirm the colours I wanted, which I did about 3 times) I got an email with pictures of finished lures in February, and told they were ready for delivery. There were a lot of excuses in between, sick workers because of a flu epidemic, much higer than usual orders etc etc, and I thought I was pretty understanding, considering I had already paid for these lures.

They still haven't come. I sent an email in May expressing in fairly strong terms my disappointment, and have not had a reply.

Pretty disappointing obviously. I guess it is possible this happens when you are dealing with overseas companies you don't really know, but they seemed pretty reputable and the guy I was corresponding with, Christian, seemd a very keen fisho and nice bloke in correspondence. I can honestly say in all my dealings with fishermen, including overseas, I have never been dudded and totally did not expect it, in an industry/fraternity that is known for co-operation, helpfulness etc

Just wanted to post this as something for other people to consider before dealing with this manufacturer

Serge de Bruijn

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
Re: Owatatsumi Poppers Non-Delivery
June 11, 2010, 04:05:50 PM
Hi Scott,

that's bad news...

We ordered with him last january as well and received our lures in perfect order, no complains here.
Since our trip fell through they were never used so if you are interested send me a PM.

I hope he get's in touch with you and sorts you out or gives a refund.

Good luck !

Serge.

AustralianAngling

June 11, 2010, 06:47:24 PM
These lures are not made in Germany it is China.

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
June 11, 2010, 08:02:37 PM
Steve - you know this as a fact?
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Andrew Cox

June 11, 2010, 08:20:33 PM
Owatatsumi poppers are just a re branded popper from Singapore.

Chris Leong

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
June 11, 2010, 09:54:32 PM
The poppers are not made in china for sure. The owner/manufacturer happen to be a close friend of mine and I have heard from him with regards to the German guy, Christian, who was distributing the poppers in Europe. He is currently back at the factory with limited Internet access. I will relay to him about this and to come out and clarify the issues surrounding that Christian.

I am very sure, all orders originating back to him is fulfilled. That could not be said of the German guy.

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
June 11, 2010, 10:24:57 PM
Chris, I think we would all be interested in some clarity around the origin of these lures. Christian Seidl was on the forum some time back claiming these lures were manufactured in Germany by his company. If that is not the case, we will take a dim view on this.
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Andrew Cox

June 11, 2010, 10:34:44 PM
Chris, I think we would all be interested in some clarity around the origin of these lures. Christian Seidl was on the forum some time back claiming these lures were manufactured in Germany by his company. If that is not the case, we will take a dim view on this.

I cant wait for the response to this, I have brought these poppers from Christian Seidl myself, unfortunately these poppers are not made in Germany as Christian states they are, I doubt these poppers can be brought from him now after all the problems I have had when buying these in the past from him. It was very interesting when I found out who makes Owatatsumi poppers.
I haven't tested these myself but I did hear of some guys that used them and they said they were a very good popper for the price.
At the end of the day it doesn't matter where they are made does it as long as they swim.

Chris Leong

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
June 11, 2010, 10:47:58 PM
Hi Guys,

As much as i could, im trying to contact my pal as this is a very bad rep cause by Christian to the poppers. Christian was never the owner or the manufacturer of the poppers as far as i know. There seems to be an issue with Christian but i believe my pal have moved on with it.

Nevertheless, the poppers are still in production and a tackle shop in Singapore is the sole distributor of it. They do make online orders if interested. Meanwhile, i believe a new proto of the poppers are in the pipeline and after seeing the blanks of it, i am very excited.

Scott, since my pal have not have access to this post, let me apologize on his behalf for the non delivery of the poppers from that German guy. Im sure that guy have nothing to do with the integrity of the company producing the poppers. Drop me a pm, and i see what i can do about rectifying it. I believe what ever happened behind the scene with that Christian should not have any bearing on the anglers who is interested in the Owas poppers.
Last Edit: June 11, 2010, 10:51:12 PM by Chris Leong

Andrew Cox

June 11, 2010, 11:02:37 PM
It would be great to hear how these poppers swim from someone, I have a few sitting here and they are a nice looking popper with a great colour range for us fussy fisherman to decide from. I will take one down the road to the lake tomorrow in fact and see how it goes.

Jon Li

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
June 12, 2010, 01:06:22 AM
Steve - you know this as a fact?

Aren't these poppers used to be called " Evolution " poppers from PR-Lab.com ?

Jon .
It's not what you don't know that gets you into trouble , it's what you know for sure that ain't so . Mark Twain .

Chris Leong

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
June 12, 2010, 02:06:41 AM
Hi Jon,

It's not used to be. THis is another line of poppers that were produce on an OEM basis. The evolutions are the flagship models of PR Labs. Those were another complete line of models.

AustralianAngling

June 12, 2010, 08:58:16 AM
I spoke with manufacture of these lures at China fish. There was maybe 4 manufactures with similar styles, even a Japanese company purchase the bodies take to Japan paint and sell under Japanese brand. These lures are not balanced and do not swim very well as manufactures do not understand about lure balance. Last week I received email from a company and they have added weight to there lure after our discussions I await samples. Images of some of the latest releases.

Chris Leong

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
June 12, 2010, 11:47:25 AM
Before this gets any further, i have to say, Owatatsumi poppers are certainly not made in China. Steve, which ever manufacturer you spoke to, is certainly not the manufacturers of Owas and Pr Labs. Have you seen the Owas in person yet?

I may not have as much water time as you guys here, i may not have as much Carpenters, orion or hammerheads as you guys here. But im sure i can tell the difference between a balanced popper with those that are made with no respect to the weight distribution. All the owas i owned swim the way it's supposed to be, pop the way its suppose to be. If you have seen the way the Pr Labs poppers are done, are you telling me the manufacturer does not understand how to balance a lure. Steve, thats a very generalizing comment.

I would say, the paint work on the poppers are almost second to none. They are as good as any other premium poppers. Just that the name is not as well known. Im sure, if i use an Owa popper in places like New Cal or in the Coral sea, i could catch as much Gts as any other premium brands. Besides, the poppers was tested in Maldives and New Cal before launched.

I shall not comment as much, but im very sure, Owa poppers are not made in China with no QC and research. Just because a brand name is not well known or endorse by some big time popping angler, does not mean that it's another copy made from China and used just because its cheap.

Chuen Fan

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
June 12, 2010, 12:17:38 PM
Maybe the China made ones are copies of Owa poppers?
AKA: Sunny