Le Vi Hua

Flying Fish imitation lure at suggestions?
September 14, 2010, 07:58:03 PM
Look for a lure which mimics a flying fish. One that make some noise and bubble trail would be good. Anyone got any ideas/pics?

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Flying Fish imitation lure at suggestions?
September 14, 2010, 08:12:29 PM
I assume you are asking in coloration? I am not aware of a lure that can fly yet!!   ;D
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
September 14, 2010, 08:23:12 PM
On a bad day I am very adept at making poppers fly  :-[

Andre van Wyk

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • DARK CONTINENT DARKSTAR RIDER
  • Liked:
September 14, 2010, 08:43:51 PM
You could try rigging up one of these for casting...
http://www.williamsonlures.com/products/teasers.php

I've seen the guys fishing in Seychelles having fair success with something similar... I'm guessing the ones with the softer wings would make for the best hook up options...

Alternatively check out the soft plastic versions some of the MArlin boys use for trolling teasers...
To Ride, Shoot Straight and Speak the Truth...

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
September 14, 2010, 10:15:06 PM
that was bloody good, Mark!!   ;D

On a bad day I am very adept at making poppers fly  :-[
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Jon Li

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
September 14, 2010, 11:21:31 PM
Guys ,

Check this Flyingfish lures from YoZuri but Sashimi Bull from the same company is called " Flying fish " too .

http://www.alltackle.com/yo-zuri_flying_fish.htm

Jon .
Last Edit: September 14, 2010, 11:48:19 PM by Jon Li
It's not what you don't know that gets you into trouble , it's what you know for sure that ain't so . Mark Twain .

Gary Prerost

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
September 14, 2010, 11:35:25 PM
I have always thought that when flying fish are around you use a fast moving popper Isnt that why we see chrome "WINGS" on the side of them whether their blooped _injured fish or skittered _ flying fish always works for me

Warwick Joyce

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
September 15, 2010, 09:57:58 AM
Those Yozuri look pretty good.
I use these, http://www.rapala.com/products/lures/x-rap_subwalk/ , you can get them to skitter along the top fairly well as well as just under the surface.

Le Vi Hua

September 15, 2010, 11:17:57 AM
Sorry I have a habit of been unclear.

A hardbody lure +100g suitable for GT's.

We see flying fish been chased where we pop and I reckon a close match shape wise could work well. Also the fish are down 25m deep so a lure which makes some noise or bubbles would help.

Any suggestions?

Ken Best

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
September 15, 2010, 02:09:09 PM
How about a Craftbait Realbait or GT2 in "Flying Fish" !!!!
"Beer makes you feel the way you ought to, without beer" (Henry Lawson)

Warwick Joyce

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
September 15, 2010, 05:19:34 PM
If you are seeing the flying fish being chased any pencil popper or skittering stickbait with silvery sides should do the trick. If the fish are holding 25m deep then I would think you will need a blooper to raise them? If you can see the flying fish then I would assume they are being chased and the bigger predators are high in the water column and any lure matching the general size of the flying fish thrown into the frenzy will get a strike.
I'm not sure if GT's would chase the flying fish too much (someone correct me if i'm wrong ;) ) when we see flying fish being chased here its usually mackeral and tuna at fast pace, round and round all over the place. To me it doesn't match the GT's feeding habit.

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
September 15, 2010, 05:27:23 PM
I was wondering that as well Warwick.  Flying Fish do not seem to be the obvious GT prey.

Up here in Indonesia, jumping flying fish normally mean fast pelagic predators like Tuna, Wahoo and Mahimahi. And yep, cast stickbaits at them!

Le Vi Hua

September 18, 2010, 08:01:49 PM
Thanks everyone for your feedback.

Aaron Concord

October 07, 2010, 09:51:55 PM
I have noticed at some of the local spots where I've popped, the GT's seem to be active when there is flying fish around.
Though I'd hasten to add, on days like that, the wahoo, mack tuna and yellowfin are working the same areas and particularly the tuna are fond of the flying fish.
It would seem that the mack tuna are chasing the flying fish and the GT's are chasing the mack tuna.......So of course you need a 4kg mack tuna replica???

I've lucked out early in my high speed spin days (daze??) by hooking bloody big GT's on Cordell Pencil poppers wound flat strap around flying fish, thinking I'd only induce the wrath of mackerel or tuna present, though the GT's ate them no problems.....pity about the 10kg mono back then.....I might have one a round or two!

We all know how switched on GT's are in their watery environment.........I think the flying fish gets the 'chain' going then everything else follows suit.