Chris Webster

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Carpenter Monster Hunter
October 27, 2010, 09:15:04 PM
Hi Guys,
Has anyone used one of these yet? If so, your thoughts?

Specs reported as follows:

Length: 8ft
Line: PE8-10
Lure: 250g
Drag:13kg
Weight: 430g
Fore grip: 250mm
Rear grip: 430mm
Price: $1099.95 AUD

Cheers,

Chris

Peter Morris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Re: Carpenter Monster Hunter
October 27, 2010, 09:20:35 PM
I havent used it myself but I have been told by very reputable sources it is very nice.

It could well be my next purchase.

Pete

Chris Webster

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
October 28, 2010, 07:29:25 AM
Thanks Pete.
I was considering a Wild Violence but this might be the go instead.
Looking for a good all rounder.

Cheers,

Chris

Andy Rowe

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
October 28, 2010, 11:52:53 AM
This rod is a beauty.

I have not used it yet but would quite likely put it ahead of the WV as a more modern, nimble and versatile rod. Based on just flexing it the rod feels like the very bigger brother of the CV79/40RF-SHP with a very strong lower section.  Malcolm Crane has used this rod already and described it to me in very favorable terms with regards to its ability to handle a wide range of lures. Looking forward to putting a bend into it soon. 
Last Edit: October 28, 2010, 11:54:24 AM by Andy Rowe
Set the ray to GeeT

Jon Li

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
October 28, 2010, 05:59:24 PM
This rod is a beauty.

I have not used it yet but would quite likely put it ahead of the WV as a more modern, nimble and versatile rod. Based on just flexing it the rod feels like the very bigger brother of the CV79/40RF-SHP with a very strong lower section.  Malcolm Crane has used this rod already and described it to me in very favorable terms with regards to its ability to handle a wide range of lures. Looking forward to putting a bend into it soon.

Hi Andy ,

There is a public holiday in the middle of November ( the 17th ) , can you take a leave on the 15th n 16th so we can fish from the 13th ~16th , Komodo sound doable and you can put a bent on that MH80H , may ask Jeng n Ky to come along . If Komodo is too far , may be spend a few days in Pelabuhan Ratu ?

Jon .
Last Edit: October 28, 2010, 06:18:43 PM by Jon Li
It's not what you don't know that gets you into trouble , it's what you know for sure that ain't so . Mark Twain .

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
October 28, 2010, 06:19:22 PM
Jon, how easily obtained is this Monster Hunter rod?

Sadly I suspect I know the answer.  Please prove me wrong!

Jon Li

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
October 28, 2010, 06:22:24 PM
Hi Mark ,

At the moment I have no stock but will get the bulk of them in early 2011 , right now only CV79/40RF SHP n DJ83MH are in stock for GT rods .

Jon .
It's not what you don't know that gets you into trouble , it's what you know for sure that ain't so . Mark Twain .

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
October 29, 2010, 08:40:10 AM
I was very pleased with this rod, although I look forward to possible (heavier) versions in the future.

I used this rod in Tokara, very light  but did not catch a fish on it - would still offer similar praise to what Andy mentioned though!

Geoff Volter

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
October 29, 2010, 08:47:41 AM
Luke, what would you say the cast weight range is? 250g is listed as the cast weight, is that the max, or the optimal?

Sounds like a great rod.

Chris Webster

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
October 29, 2010, 09:53:50 AM
G'day Luke,

By saying that you look forward to possible (heavier) versions in the future are you implying that the rod is a little on the light side? or mayby not suitable for the monsters you would catch in Tokara?

Do you think this rod would be suitable for topwater kings also?

Cheers,

Chris

Mick Cunningham

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
October 29, 2010, 10:32:47 AM
I was very pleased with this rod, although I look forward to possible (heavier) versions in the future.

I used this rod in Tokara, very light  but did not catch a fish on it - would still offer similar praise to what Andy mentioned though!

Luke ,

there is another rod which is a big brother to MH80H called

MH79XH rod
length 2390
PE 8 to 10
Lure weight to 300 gram
14 kg drag
weighs 415 grams

if this suit you or are you looking for a PE12 rod in the future ??

hope this help,s 
mick .

Jon Li

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
October 29, 2010, 01:47:44 PM
MH79XH is not a cropped MH80H , the rating is very conservative and may change in the near future , for those who are looking for a new generation XH rod from Carpenter , the delivery date of this rod should be within the second quarter of 2011 .  ::)

Jon . 

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
October 29, 2010, 02:32:34 PM
Jon, for the less initiated like me, could you briefly explain the key differences between these new generation heavy Carpenters and their established stars like the Wild Violence?
Last Edit: October 29, 2010, 02:52:04 PM by Mark Harris

Jon Li

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
October 29, 2010, 05:11:57 PM
Jon, for the less initiated like me, could you briefly explain the key differences between these new generation heavy Carpenters and their established stars like the Wild Violence?

Hi Mark ,

WV blank is slow to recover while the newer Carpenter blanks are faster to recover , on top of that it is less " hurt " to you but more " hurt " to the fish , I believe Malcolm Crane is the person who can elaborate on this aspect , being one of the first to use MH80H in this forum .

Jon . 

Tony Busscher

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
October 29, 2010, 05:40:02 PM
As the monster 80h is a new rod to the carpenter range ,I have a question that I'm interested to know .In comparison to the RF79H ,Which is a7.9 rod to the 80H at 8.0 of the two rods .Has the most power in the butt section .