Nomad Sportfishing

• Past Sponsor
  • Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Jewell Reef 3 Nov 2010
November 04, 2010, 08:50:13 AM
Damon:- We fished the northern end of Jewell today, and had a lot of bad luck. We hooked a 45kg GT around mid morning and had it bust us off on a bommie, then we had another monster GT, well over 50kg have a swipe at the popper and fail to hook up. We had a few excellent sessions in the shallows on coral trout and red bass, and caught some solid trout over 10kgs on the light gear, but the guys wanted to chase GTs and get revenge on the big ones that got away. We spent the arvo chasing GTs and landed a few decent fish. All up, we had a god day and landed maybe 10 GTs mixed in with a heap of other light tackle captures.

Chris:- The plan for the day was to fish up north to a few spots where we hadn’t fished before. Lots and lots of bait but the fish were still a little shy although the first cast of the day was a double hook up with a nice GT and a nice 8-10kg trout which started off the day perfectly. The guys didn’t really want to do too much casting so I decided to mix it up a little. We cast for GTs for about an hour I’d say and saw plenty of GTs but they were avoiding the hook which was quite frustrating. I then moved up into the shallows to play with the trout, red bass, bluefin trevally and GTs which was fun but I could see that even the light tackle was a little bit too much energy for the guys so I then moved onto the troll and we slayed it catching Spanish and shark mackerel one of which was about 25kgs, trout of about 12 or more kg. Barracuda, nice big bluefin trevally which kept us entertained until late morning and then decided to play with the tuna schools until the guys called in quits at 12. A very cruisy day.