Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
I returned from New Caledonia after a five day live-aboard charter yesterday. This was a trip that has been about a year in the planning as Tak Otsuka and I been very keen to take Kenji Konishi, the owner of Carpenter on a trip to the land of monsters GTs. Also, while I have fished the south extensively, I have minimal experience in the north so all in all, this was a trip we have looked forward to with a lot of anticipation.

Kenji turned up for the trip armed to the teeth with his current new range of rods as well as a number of prototype sticks. The same applied for lures - while he had his traditional favorites, he also had a few new prototypes he was testing out. As Carpenter will be rolling out the release of its new rods soon (we've already seen small numbers of rods like the Monster Hunter 80H released), I'll also put up a review of my views on these rods in a separate thread soon as I know a lot of you are looking at these with quite a bit of anticipation.  For the purposes of the trip report, I won't go into the rods.

New Caledonia obviously loves great anglers because it rolled out good weather for Kenji, unlike what it has done for myself and Malcolm on some of our trips in the past! The rest of it, well, Kenji made his own luck. I've been in this sport long enough and of course, have fished previously with Kenji so I didn't have stars in my eyes but he truly is an angler in a different class to myself. His skill with the surface stickbait is breathtaking. For those of you who have attempted to swim a Gamma in the past, you simply cannot believe what he can do with a surface stickbait. The lure simply seems to come alive and what he can do with a huge Gamma stickbait is amazing. The fish think so too because they simply kill it.

Kenji doesn't like going into the size game without a scale to weigh the catches as he is very conservative so they're my estimates of size but he ended the trip with the following captures - 1 x 55kg+, 1 x 50kg, 1 x 45kg+, a stack of 30-40kg and to put the icing on the cake, a big dogtooth around 50kgs on a massive 250 Gamma. Highlights were of course the big fish but believe it or not, a dogtooth on epic proportions attempted to eat the 50kg dogtooth he caught whole. He had the fight won when he said something funny was happening and most of the fight went out of the fish. He reeled it it for us to find the familiar triangular bite mark of another dogtooth around the middle of the fish. I can't even imagine how big the second doggie must have been.

The other highlight which Tak and I are still laughing about was that one night, a small bird got into the Antares. Rudy woke up as he heard it hopping along the floor and he tried to catch it but it evaded him and hopped into Kenji's cabin. Kenji was in a deep sleep when the bird started hopping up his body starting from his feet. He didn't have his glasses on so couldn't see what it was but he was extremely startled by the bird as his first thought was it was a big rat. This incident gave Tak and myself enormous pleasure and unfortunately, for Kenji, he has been copping it about the killer tori (Japanese for bird) since then.

Overall, an unbelievable trip - thanks an absolute heap to David and Rudy at Le Poisson Banane for making it possible and for working so hard every day.

PS - Tak and I made good spectators!
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Sami Ghandour

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
Congratulation for an epic trip Brandon!
New Caledonia strikes again  ;)

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
a few more ........

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
EPIC
 8)  8) 8)

Torsten Traut

unbelievable .... that´s awesome!!!

paul chua

Excellent write up, photos and amazing fishes!
Keep them coming Brandon!
Cheers,
Paul.

Sam Cheadle

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
Great report Brandon and great pics and company

That story about the bird cracked me up.

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
yes, that little bird gave us a great deal of entertainment!

check out the last photo and ther bite mark on the doggie - which was about 50kg

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
I gotta post again - simply superb!

I'm really glad the north fired for you guys mate...you've got a few more dates up there to get your own monster like Konishi ;)

Patrick Cooper

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
Great report and photos! that must have been a absolute monster of doggie...

Peter Morris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Spectacular stuff Brandon and Tak....

Some beautifull fish in that line up.

Brandon was Tak plane spotting at all .... ???

Pete

Peter Morris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
The list of Killers is Growing with each trip.....

Killer Goby,

Killer Tori,

;D ;D....That would have been very funny.....I can hear you and Tak laughing about it now..!!

Back to the photos now.....I have to look again.

Some of Kenji's GTs are monsters.

Pete

Mario Benedict

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
Holly Moley ! those massive GTs looks unreal

Chris Tan

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
Some monsters Brandon. I checked the weather when you were out and it looked superb.

Can't wait for our turn in a few weeks! Just hope the weather holds.

Tom Grubb

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
great report, some very nice fish caught on what looks like a mad trip.
PoPpInG mAd