David Noble

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Lure fail - or is it me??
November 28, 2010, 09:04:47 PM
After reading Colin's directive about the Baby Runboh being a must have lure for NZ, it sounds like everyone can catch a fish on it - well, everyone except me!   >:(

I must confess I have never caught anything on my Baby Runboh, and not through lack of trying!
I'm pretty fond of the little Smith sinker - I'd eat it...  The closest I've done is a few puncture marks on it from a coral trout or bass. 
Come to think of it, I don't have much luck on all white soft plastics either! So they don't get used often, but I'll catch fish on any other colour except straight white...

At least I accomplished the decent snapper (13lb) on a soft plastic goal the other week in NZ.

Anyone else got a monkey on their back as far as having a sensational piece of kit begging for a good fish and no amount of trying seems to work??

Cheers David 

Jamie Moir

Re: Lure fail - or is it me??
November 28, 2010, 09:28:49 PM
A friend brought a bunch of jigs to Perth, and a guy knocked back a size and model he wanted (Shout! Shab Shab 130g), because he didn't like the colour (Straight Silver Holo). I've since used it to catch a few dhufish, Tuna, Sambos and AJs. The guy that almost owned it has been a little miffed about missing out now.

No problem with white plastics. The McArthy Baits 5" Pearl Finesse Minnow was my go-to for the last Exmouth trip. I got some nice cobia, queenfish and tuna on it. That said Baby Elf or Orca in 7" seems to be getting smashed by reefies.

That said my two biggest underperformers are;
  • FCl Labo SL 180g (in straight silver), this colour was mistakenly shipped to me, and so far the closest its gotten to a fish is two huge chomp marks from a deep sea leather jacket.
  • 7Seas Revolver 200gish?, orange/red? this thing doesn't even have leatherjacket bite marks

Last Edit: November 28, 2010, 09:34:55 PM by Jamie Moir

colin tecofsky

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
November 29, 2010, 07:47:13 AM
Gidday David hope you enjoyed the fishing over here wait till it hots up! . I'm with you on the all white softbait don't know how many times I've tried them over the years. As a charter operator and devoted softbait fisherman  I hate to admit it but the bloody things wont work for me :-[. Can't be my fault ' I put it down to not enough colour contrast in the water that way my tiny minds a much happier place to be  ;D. As for S B runbohs I like them that much I have just orderd another 12.  8x floating 4x sink roll on summer I smell a Marlin on the Rumboh''. All the best for Xmas mate and a prospours 2011.

Cheers C T aka ( Fishpimp) 8)

Peter Childs

• Bluefin Tuna
  • If it moves......cast at it!
  • Liked:
November 29, 2010, 10:23:41 AM
Hey Colin, great to see you on the site - thanks again for a great trip mate, I'm already missing your keen sense of humour!  Dont forget to order some of those blades we spoke about, try the 1/2 ounce ones, I reckon they'll go off!

I'm with you on the baby Ruboh Dave, hadn't caught a thing on it until NZ (only snared one there anyway), not through a lack of trying!  It's such an easy lure to work and looks irrisistable in the water - I was about to turn it into a Christmas Decoration!  I'll persist a little longer now with some new found confidence!

My Nemisis has got to be the gulp shads (not the stick baits, but the ones with the paddle tails), people swear by them, but I haven't pulled a straight one out of a packet yet, and my heart sinks whenever I tie one on, they have got to stink AND SWIM for me - this seems to be reflected in my results!  Thank goodness the jerk shads are soo good!

I think I might be working the Tailwork Gunz 160 beside the Runboh for a bit - it's the new benchmark for me in the smaller stickbaits.

colin tecofsky

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
November 29, 2010, 04:04:14 PM
HI Pete yea like wise glad you enjoyed the trip. Just had a thought about the S B Rs what poundage of leader material do you and Dave use?Maybe it's to heavy for the smaller baits. I use 100 lb Berkley Flurocarbon 90% of the time. As with most lures and soft baits etc the lighter leader you can use the better the lures seems to work. If you are worried about knot slippage using fluro leader for stick bait or jigging then do what I do . With a piece of 40-60 grit sandpaper give the last 2-3 inches of leader a couple of light rubs just to remove the shine and then tie Braid over the area using your prefferd knot  ;).Never had one let go yet. If  you are talking with the other lads from the trip wish them a merry xmas from me and I hope we see you back in NZ soon. As the song goes " we've only just begun" the fishing only gets better from now on.

Quote for 2011 ( Ya can't make Honey out of Horse P..s)