David Reverdito

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Leader setup?
December 19, 2010, 12:20:41 AM
Hi All

I've been lurking on here for a while, but finally decided to take the step and have now got myself a GT outfit - Stella 20K w/ 16K spool, PE8 GT Avani and a Komodo Dragon. I have been playing around with knots and thanks to Crusty I think I have the PR knot sussed. But the question I have is what is the best option from the PE8 to the lure? Twisted or not? Bite leader yes or no? Connections in between and to the lure?

Any advice is good advice as this is all new to me.

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Re: Leader setup?
December 19, 2010, 09:25:30 AM
There is no best method, David. All you will get with this question are what individual member's personal likes and dislikes are. For me in general, I don't use a bite leader or twisted back leader with a stickbait. I tie it straight on. I use the twisted back normally with poppers and if I am hoping for something really big, I might use a short segment of bite leader. That said, I just do whatever sometimes!  ;D
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
December 19, 2010, 06:07:11 PM
As Brandon says David, there is no best way, only opinions.

This subject has also be discussed to death here, so a search for old threads would help you I think.

The simplest and commonest popping set is braided line -> friction knot (FG, PR or Mid - I would learn to tie an FG if I were you as it requires no bobbin gizmos like a PR) -> mono shock leader -> swivel -> split ring -> lure.

If you are using PE8 braid I would suggest a shock leader 180lb to 200 lbs.

Jon Li

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
December 19, 2010, 06:30:26 PM
Having bite leader will allow one to use lighter main leader , with my PE6 main line I use 120 lbs. main leader + 250 lbs. short PVdF bite leader , my PE8 main line I will use 150 lbs. main leader n the same 250 lbs. PVdF bite leader .

Jon .

It's not what you don't know that gets you into trouble , it's what you know for sure that ain't so . Mark Twain .

David Reverdito

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
December 19, 2010, 07:25:01 PM

The simplest and commonest popping set is braided line -> friction knot (FG, PR or Mid - I would learn to tie an FG if I were you as it requires no bobbin gizmos like a PR) -> mono shock leader -> swivel -> split ring -> lure.

If you are using PE8 braid I would suggest a shock leader 180lb to 200 lbs.

That sounds easy. I did however get confused I have learned the FG knot, not the PR. Surprised Crusty didn't jump in and give me a serve, he must be busy doing something...

Is a uni knot the go for mono to swivel? I have a bunch of 300lb barrel swivels, and owner #10 split rings - will the do the trick?

Aaron Concord

December 19, 2010, 07:48:34 PM
David,

The 300lb barrel swivels and #10 split rings will get you started, no problems.

Again, like the connection question, you will get various opinions on whether barrel or ball bearing swivels will do...... I like Yozuri and Sampo 300lb 2 ring- ball bearing swivels while NT barrel swivels are excellent too (ask Crusty about these, or search the forum about NT's).

Unless you are trying to dong a monster, #10 split rings will do.......I keep #10H and #11's for some of the Brisbane spots since the GT's can be very large!

Cheers

Aaron.

David Reverdito

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
December 19, 2010, 08:04:58 PM
David,

The 300lb barrel swivels and #10 split rings will get you started, no problems.

Again, like the connection question, you will get various opinions on whether barrel or ball bearing swivels will do...... I like Yozuri and Sampo 300lb 2 ring- ball bearing swivels while NT barrel swivels are excellent too (ask Crusty about these, or search the forum about NT's).

Unless you are trying to dong a monster, #10 split rings will do.......I keep #10H and #11's for some of the Brisbane spots since the GT's can be very large!

Cheers

Aaron.

Cheers Aaron

It's about time we went for a fish isn't it - local GTs sounds just right to me. I'll be in touch.

Aaron Concord

December 19, 2010, 10:38:43 PM
Ducky,

The local fish may be large, though they can be a fish of a thousand casts!!!!!!!!!!!!

Aaron.

Greg Burt

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
December 19, 2010, 10:48:36 PM
A thousand casts just to warm up ::)
Greg 'FFF' Burt

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
December 19, 2010, 11:06:27 PM
You are lucky. The big ones in Bali are in the 10,000 casts category :).

Like Aaron said the NT 2/0 or 3/0 will do you nicely for swivels. Never had one of these fail.

A four turn uni knot for the 180 or 200 lb shock leader to swivel will serve you well. Should have no problems at all forming a uni with a supple 200 lb shock leader. If you are using a stiffer leader and have trouble tightening the knot, try using pliers. And always remember to lubricate well with saliva.

Good luck :)

Marc Vandaele

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
December 25, 2010, 02:32:25 AM
Jon,what kind of bite leader is this pvdf?
is that a very abrasive nylon line or what kind?
what's a short line?do you mean about 50cm.
sorry for these questions but i gone make my 1st trip over 2 months and this is all new to me
thanks

Jon Li

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
December 25, 2010, 05:32:16 AM
Jon,what kind of bite leader is this pvdf?
is that a very abrasive nylon line or what kind?
what's a short line?do you mean about 50cm.
sorry for these questions but i gone make my 1st trip over 2 months and this is all new to me
thanks

Hi Marc ,

PVdF is the abreviation of poly-vinyledene fluoride which is the chemical name for generic name of fluorocarbon , in this case the leader I use as bite leader and 50 cm is sufficient as it is meant to stay outside the tip top guide when casting . It has better abrasive resitant than nylon and supposedly more invisible due to it's refractive index is closer to that of water than nylon , it's a heavier line too .

Jon . 
It's not what you don't know that gets you into trouble , it's what you know for sure that ain't so . Mark Twain .

Marc Vandaele

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
December 27, 2010, 06:42:35 AM
thanks Jon,and all the others
i am from Europe and it's a great site where you can find a lot of information
i have the idea that there are a lot of European anglers found  this very usefull site :)

Doug Terry

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
February 26, 2011, 08:33:56 PM
as someone who has just joined this site and is a pom (not many GT's in the english channel).
I have two questions.
1) why use a fluorocarbon leader of 100lb and not wire.
2) for Trevally other than GT's what b/s leader would you use..

Jon Li

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
February 26, 2011, 09:23:06 PM
Using wire leader won't get you much strike as GT has very keen eyes , the size of leader is dictated by the main line used , 1.5 times the max breaking strain of the main line is what I usually use , a short thick fluorocarbon bite leader often used if I am not comfortable with the thickness of the leader  , in the case of using sub 100 lbs leader .

Jon .