Johan de Vlieger

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
South of Oman
February 15, 2011, 10:18:33 AM
Last trip to Oman wasn't a great success and that's still an understatement...
The scenery is amazing and the environment is really breathing big GT but not while we were fishing.
We tried everything but the fish was not on the spot : we only caught 3 GT with 3 fisherman on a whole week !
Never had such a poor fishing trip ever, worst of all : two weeks after we left the same guide we had posted me  this amazing report with awesome pictures of monster Gt (he even refered to "Jurrasic Parc").
He said he never witnessed such a difference in activity in such a short notice.
We also had bad weather with wind that was blowing from a very strange direction for that time of year.
Let's just call it the name of the game and try to do better next time ! >:p.s.
Luckely one of the fish caught was a beauty...
Last Edit: February 15, 2011, 10:20:47 AM by Johan de Vlieger
Fishing is no matter of life or death : it's far more important !!

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Re: South of Oman
February 15, 2011, 11:49:57 AM
Very bad luck Johan.  More evidence that even the best sites can go into shut down.

matt ras

February 16, 2011, 02:36:17 AM
hey mate nice fish where were you fishing? we have a trip next week down southern oman for 4 days, im hoping the wind is ok down there as it has been blowing here in abu dhabi for the last week or two fingers crossed!

Vincenzo Caccico

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
February 16, 2011, 02:49:20 AM
Some years ago my omani friend told me:"wether condition are not in our hand!" expecially in this years, werether i will lave to Oman, where i stayed 2 time in the past and i hope to find good place for GT and YFTuna fishing like this  :)

We will see.

Johan de Vlieger

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
February 16, 2011, 04:36:04 AM
Hi Matt,
We have fished near Sallalah.
There is a group of 4 islets , first one about 1h30 from shore, which are lying in one straight line.
The spots are very very nice and there are really huge Gt's (sometimes...).
Fishing is no matter of life or death : it's far more important !!

matt ras

February 17, 2011, 01:27:48 AM
Hi Johan
sounds like the same place i cant wait all i hear is good things beautifull place with big fish. I will post a report after the trip hopefully a awsome one!

ed baduria

February 21, 2011, 12:08:13 AM
Hi Johan,
Bad weather has killed more than one of my trips. I've fished Northern Oman twice and just south of Salalah once. This time of year the weather can be unpredictable. I'll be heading to Southern Oman for a GT charter 22-28 April, hotter temp's but calmer weather. Chatted with the charter captain last week, there is one seat available. Cost is 3100 euro for 7 days of fishing. I'll be heading down a couple of days before the charter to do some shore casting. Decent snapper, queenies, and bluefish also with a chance to bag GT's from shore. Good luck on your next trip.

Cheers
PS If you decide to head back to Oman, sometimes all black poppers or stickbaits have worked wonders in the past.

Alex Rios

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
February 21, 2011, 10:36:04 PM
Hi Johan,

Really I believe that you had bad luck.

In that epoch you travelled?

I go at the beginning of April and apparently it is this very good epoch in activity for the big GTs of the zone.

I hope that your following trip is better.

A greeting.

Nathan Cefai

• Giant Trevally
  • Reel Men Smoke Stellas
  • Liked:
February 22, 2011, 02:40:33 PM
SOME BIG YELLOWFIN TUNA THERE<NICE JOBB>>>