David Sharples

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Sorry for all the questions guys this is a steep learning curve!

What method do you guys use to attach the popper to the bite section, I was thinking a decent big game snap so I could change lures easily but do you reckon this puts too much hardware at the front of the lure?

Cheers again!

Rob Ciotucha

Alot of people use Split Rings / Swivels at the front of there poppers David, this makes for easy changing of lures and is also alot stronger than a snap.

Cheers
Rob

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
David, I don't know of any experienced GT fisho who uses snaps. You'll find the very large majority use split rings as Rob has stated or they tie the leader directly onto the popper. I tried snaps once upon a time (don't know why) and I landed one fish which had managed to open the snap! I was so lucky to land that fish and that was the last time I used a snap for heavy popping. I do use snaps for other types of fish but not GTs.

It is easy and fast to change lures with a split ring provided you have the big Owner pliers. I tend to use an Owner #10 split ring for the these purposes.
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Hal Harvey

Snaps like these they mean. David...

They work just fine.

Jon Li

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
I use Solid ring to the leader n Split ring to the eyelet of the lure , this facilitate easy changing of lure .

Jon . 
It's not what you don't know that gets you into trouble , it's what you know for sure that ain't so . Mark Twain .

Matthew Clem

How does a standard loop knot like a "Lefty Kreh loop" hold up in this style of heavy tackle fishing? Is it worth bothering with, or stick with the split ring combo? 

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
it's pretty hard to tie the Lefty Kreh loop with a twisted leader as you would end up with a whopping great big knot. If you prefer a knot, just uni knot it to the popper. The reason why we use a split ring is to facilitate changing the lure.
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Matthew Clem

Sorry Brandon, I didn't make myself very clear, I had thoughts of Lukes single strand leader system when I posted that one. I've only used the Lefty Kreh in my substantially lighter estuary gear (which works great!) and looking at that particular leader system of Lukes I was wondering if it would be an adequate knot for single strand of that calibre? I realise from all the correspondence on this site that twisted leaders are the way to go, but unfortunately, with 4 weeks to go before my trip, 2 kids and flat chat at work, makes time to have a crack at the twisties awfully hard, so I think that Lukes system might suit better at the moment. I have skimmed briefly over the twisted leader info, but it'll have to wait until I get back for now. Any other effective,relatively simple leader systems you know of??? The amount of info on popping/jigging is amazing.

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
Sorry Brandon, I didn't make myself very clear, I had thoughts of Lukes single strand leader system when I posted that one. I've only used the Lefty Kreh in my substantially lighter estuary gear (which works great!) and looking at that particular leader system of Lukes I was wondering if it would be an adequate knot for single strand of that calibre? I realise from all the correspondence on this site that twisted leaders are the way to go, but unfortunately, with 4 weeks to go before my trip, 2 kids and flat chat at work, makes time to have a crack at the twisties awfully hard, so I think that Lukes system might suit better at the moment. I have skimmed briefly over the twisted leader info, but it'll have to wait until I get back for now. Any other effective,relatively simple leader systems you know of??? The amount of info on popping/jigging is amazing.

Stick to the uni -> swivel/splitring.

I'll send you some twisted leaders - send me your address via PM.

No other simple single leader systems I know of unless you keep the knot out of the tip (which can be okay depending on terrain/gear used) e.g. uni to uni, albright, cairns quickie, no-name/bristol etc.

Stephen Polzin

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
I don't use twisted leaders and just use a perfection loop to attach the lure.  This knot can slip in lighter lines, but in heavy leaders I haven't had any problems.  I caught 16 yesterday and didn't lose any lures.  The biggest GT I've caught using this setup is "only" about 25kg though.

steve
Cairns Bommie Basher

Matthew Clem

Thanks for the info, and by the way Steve, I'm curious as to what connection you have from leader to main line?

Stephen Polzin

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
Matt this is going to seem pretty primitive, but most of the time I don't bother with a leader- to me another knot is just another weakness.  I just tie a bimini in the braid, swivel, a metre of 130lb mono then lure.  One of my mates makes wind-on leaders (single strand) and sometimes I use these, but most of the time I don't bother.  I reckon I'll be in trouble if a fish get's tailwrapped (with the sharp tail wrist) but it hasn't happened yet. 

steve
Cairns Bommie Basher

Hal Harvey

The thing I don't like about tying knots in single-strand leaders is that you shorten the leader every time. By the time you've changed lures ten times, you don't have much leader left.

Sachin Chaudhry

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
Hi David. I use a snap all the time for the same reason as your self. The sure method to avoid snap failure is to use one that is big enough. I use a 600lb game swivel. No GT is going to open that. 40kg yellowfin and 50kg dogtooth haven't even put the slightest stress on it.

Matthew Clem

I don't know about you David, but I think I'm leaning towards the solid ring to split ring combo. Easy lure changes and less failure points.