Jim Isherwood

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Braid
February 20, 2011, 09:33:31 AM
Hey Guys

Just interested what other lines anyone else uses besides Varivas . Has anyone had any problems with Jerry Brown non hollow core ?

cheers
Jim

Tony Fowler

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
Re: Braid
February 20, 2011, 10:13:35 AM
Gday Jim

After having a few problems with varivas smp i was put onto Jerry Brown solid spectra and I really liked it. I was able to cast JB 100lb the same distance as varivas GT max in PE8 and only slightly less then the smp, without the line breaking hassles of smp.

The other advantage with the JB is that its a fair bit cheaper. Id say its probably better then Tufline being slightly thinner, smoother and still has great knot strength. I'm currently using it in 130lb, 100lb, 80lb and 65lb. And because it comes in a variety of colours you can colour code your breaking strains if your a bit anal like me.

I have also started converted over to using JB for lighter fishing types from 50lb down to 10lb instead of tuffline ie mackerel and snapper on plastics etc. Don't get me wrong i still like the tufline, just preferring the JB at present.

Hope this helps

regards Tony

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
February 20, 2011, 10:14:12 AM
I think you're referring to the Jerry Brown solid spectra. I have used this in the 100lb. It's an excellent line. It really softens after a little bit of use.
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Jim Isherwood

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
February 20, 2011, 10:24:39 AM
Thanks Tony , was exactly the info i wanted to hear and Brandon yes your onto it as usual , just woke up its only 6.30 over here !!!

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
February 20, 2011, 12:25:48 PM
Jerry Brown solid is excellent in my experience.  My 2nd choice only to Varivas Avani GT Max.  If price was taken into account it would be my first choice!

Peter Morris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
February 20, 2011, 12:35:52 PM
Brandon put me onto the JB Solid spectra and I love it. 8)

Seems to last well,cast well and is very reasonably priced.

Pete

Sam Owen

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
February 21, 2011, 08:02:46 AM
Hey guys,
any suggestions on a site to have a look/order some Jb?
Cheers

Jim Isherwood

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
February 21, 2011, 09:39:35 PM
Sam try melton tackle or direct from JB themselves

cheers Jim

Stephen Polzin

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
February 25, 2011, 02:40:32 PM
I've been using JB 80lb lately.  It's smoother than Tufline but I've had a couple of unexplained breakages with it, above the knot.  At this stage I've got more confidence in Tufline.
Cairns Bommie Basher

Sacco Gerard

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
February 25, 2011, 07:36:52 PM
I've had a couple of unexplained breakages with it

Stephen, the same thing for me but with Tuf XP 100Lb and Varivas SMP 90Lb and not at the knot, why ?, I am a very meticulous person to check the state of my braid.  ;)

Michael Mihajlov

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
February 25, 2011, 10:10:59 PM
I love the JB solid spectra but can't recommend dealing with Melton tackle...worst experience of shopping online ever!

Would love to see some local tackle outfitters selling this brand in a greater range.

Ben Furness

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
February 25, 2011, 10:15:29 PM
I know that Billfisher tackle in Frankston VIC stocks it in massive bulk spools, I think they charge about $30/100m and will spool you up for free if you buy a top end reel there. I think you can buy it through the and if they haven't got the right poundage they might even be able to order it in for you.

Fernando Duarte

March 04, 2011, 04:47:08 AM
What about JB Hollow ?

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
March 04, 2011, 08:54:49 AM
JB hollow is widely used and is generally regarded as an excellent line.
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Jaime Chee

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
March 04, 2011, 09:31:19 AM
Hey guys

You probably get the question alot but there is so much different information out there im and confused at which one to believe . So i have a stella 10000 sw and would like to spool it up with tuffline xp either 65lbs or 80lbs . that being said does anyone know of how much capacity i would get with both lines ?

cheers