Mark Wong MK

Popping the Montes
March 07, 2011, 01:46:58 PM
G'day guys,

Just wondering what you guys would be packing for week long Live-Aboard on the Kylin at the Montes? I've never been there before and some recommendation on lures and tackles would be much appreciated as I don't really know what the location is like.

Thanks very much ;D

Les Maunder

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Popping the Montes
March 07, 2011, 08:14:45 PM
Hi Mark

I have been to the Monties 4 times and while no expert can offer the following comments:

The Monties are a mix of shallow and deep water reefs and are no different to most other Aussie locations.

During the cooler months stickbaits seem to be the preferred option with a sardine or mackerel colour being the preferred option - examples being the Gunz Tailwalk and Richard Foong Custom working well for me.

As the water warms and the Fusiliers become more prevalent poppers start to take over. All the usual suspects work well such as Hammerheads, Fullscale Kongs and the cheaper River to Sea and Duel lures all do the job on their day.

A comment if I may - make sure that the charter you are going on actually intend to undertake GT fishing as many that go to the Montebellos only do bottom bashing.

Good luck

Les

Mark Wong MK

March 09, 2011, 11:02:27 AM
Thanks very much for the info Les.

Much appreciated  :D

Kasey Leong

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
March 09, 2011, 01:30:24 PM
A comment if I may - make sure that the charter you are going on actually intend to undertake GT fishing as many that go to the Montebellos only do bottom bashing.

This will probably be the overriding factor that will determine your success Marky - otherwise you're stuck with countless CT for meat!  :'(
Watashi wa kawaii scon class hetadesu bakadesu JooNya Poop Poop

Dan Konig

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
March 09, 2011, 09:02:22 PM
I haven't personally been on the Kylin, but from what I have heard they are ordinarily more of a bottom fishing operation.

However, if you are booking the whole boat then obviously you can get them to do as much GT fishing as you like, though not sure if they have much in the way of tenders to get in amongst the islands. It is really shallow in a lot of the parts.

Mark Wong MK

March 10, 2011, 01:35:36 AM
Think the Kylin's a boat for nightly food & bevvy session...Oh and for the much needed bed i suppose.

Thanks guys, have been finding out more myself and it seems that way to go is to hijack a dinghy and go explore the fishy bits without trying to run aground.

Cheers, for the lure recommendation colours. Will keep that in mind when packing.

KC, all i pray now is for good weather bro. Been pretty wet & wild this way as well