Doug Terry

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Shimano which reel?
March 10, 2011, 03:02:42 AM
Can't decided between Shimano stradic 8000fi or Shimano Sustain 8000.
anybody help me to decide.

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Re: Shimano which reel?
March 10, 2011, 06:28:03 AM
but what do you want the reel for, Doug? If we assume you are referring to GT popping, I wouldn't recommend either and suggest you look up a model or two.
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Doug Terry

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
March 10, 2011, 07:35:51 PM
looking for a reel to take to Christmas Island as a backup to the bonefishing, generial spinning and popping use but if a travelly gets hold I've a chance to land it will be using 50lb Braid and a 80lb leader.
OK so please tell me any other reels in the same price bracket I live in the UK there aren't many GT's in the North Sea so will only be using the gear now and again when I go Bonefishing.
Last Edit: March 11, 2011, 06:25:24 PM by doug terry

Dan Konig

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
March 10, 2011, 08:05:50 PM
For a medium spinning reel I think either of those are good options for the price. I have a stradic 8000 that I use quite regularly. It was the reel I used for pretty much everything on a week long Montebellos trip (aside from trolling big skirts and GT popping of course). Gets a lot of use (weekly) back in Perth as well.

It comes with with 2 spools, and is very cheap. Has not given me any grief at all, though I did switch the drag to carbontex washers after a trip to Thailand (catching 18 giant Mekong up to 35kg in 1 day was a bit much for it).

Obviously the Stella 8000 is going to be better. Whether it is worth 3-4 times the price depends on how much you like to spend on tackle. Personally I went cheaper on the medium sized gear and spent the money on the Stella for my heavier stuff.

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
March 10, 2011, 08:10:00 PM
As a general piece of advice Doug, you might be more successful when asking for advice if you were a touch more polite.

Anyway, as I read that, you want a PE5 reel capable of landing a GT which you might catch when you are flyfishing for Bonefish in Kiribati?

Sustain or Stradic - I would forget it.  But if you must, then a Sustain and not Stradic IMO.  If you cant stretch to Stella, Saltiga or Twinpower, I would actually go for a bigger reel for the same (or less) money like a Saragosa 14000 or 18000. I think there is more chance of that holding up to the stress that a sizeable GT provides on equipment.

If I knew what rod you are going to pair it with, those views may well change.
Last Edit: March 10, 2011, 08:12:12 PM by Mark Harris

Doug Terry

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
March 10, 2011, 09:04:33 PM
Last Edit: March 10, 2011, 09:07:04 PM by doug terry

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
March 10, 2011, 09:56:12 PM
Hi Doug, I can only speak for myself but I think it is just sometimes good to use words like "please"  :D

A Beast Master lends itself to a Saragosa 14000 or 18000 - my advice remains on that one.  You ought to be able to find one of those in the US$ 250-300 range, so well under 200 pounds.

Others might disagree, but I think a large clunk of a reel like a Saragosa will holds up to GTs better than the relatively delicate Sustain and Stradic options.
Last Edit: March 11, 2011, 12:55:44 AM by Mark Harris

Doug Terry

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
March 10, 2011, 10:29:09 PM
Thanks for the advice Mark and point taken.

Dan Wulf

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
March 10, 2011, 10:47:03 PM
I have recently ordered a Shimano Spheros 18000FB. I will use it as a spare reel for GT popping. In comparison with a Saragosa the internal parts of the reel are suppose to be of almost similar quality. Specs indicate a max drag of 44lb but a relative low line intake (4.6:1; 96cm/38in). The handle is a lighter and weaker version of the Saragosa. I will upgrade the reel with new drag washers (carbontex) which will add another 5-8 USD to the price. I will later find out whether this reel can take some beatings - but the reel is used among BFT anglers in US as a cheap substitute for a Stella/Saltiga. In UK you should be able to find this reeel for apx. 150 pounds. 
Last Edit: March 11, 2011, 02:33:10 AM by Dan Wulf

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
March 11, 2011, 12:51:40 AM
Dan, good budget recommendation.  I had Spheros 18000 a long while back and a boat charter I use a lot has them as their stock jigging reels.  They take a bit of bashing OK but have failed on fish above 15 kgs. It does share a lot with the Saragosa, but for not too much more money I would definitely prefer a Saragosa.
Last Edit: March 11, 2011, 01:07:43 AM by Mark Harris

Dan Wulf

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
March 11, 2011, 05:54:55 AM
....... It does share a lot with the Saragosa, but for not too much more money I would definitely prefer a Saragosa.
I was offered a Spheros for half the price of a Saragosa, so I took the chance and went for the Spheros. For that price it was difficult to resist..... 8)

Kevin Hulse

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
March 11, 2011, 08:42:10 AM
Doug,

I'm no reel buff by any means, but if you end up including the Saragosa and Spheros on your short list, bear in mind that the Saragosa features Paladin Gear Enhancement where as the Spheros doesn't. In my mind that would be the most important difference between the two.

Peter Childs

• Bluefin Tuna
  • If it moves......cast at it!
  • Liked:
March 11, 2011, 04:38:41 PM
Doug, If you shop around on line a little, you might be surprised what you can pick up a twinpower for! 

In the 8000 size its a pretty flexible reel too which should see use with a range of spool sizes and fishing activities, suited to a range of destinations. 

A reel that size is comfortable fishing everything from PE3 to PE8 with a spare spool or two (8000, 10000, 12000, 16000).  The OEM 8000 spool or even 10000 will handle your 50lb braid just fine!

Damian Fantozzi

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
March 22, 2011, 08:21:20 AM
ive got the saragosa 18000

it is similar to spheros but for the following, prices in $AUD

1) paladin (basically a hard black coating) on main gear $40 part
2) machined handle $100+
3) bearings on both sides of main gear as oppposed to a bushing on one side with spheros $5
4) carbon drag upgrade $20

ive hooked some stingrays the size of car bonnets with this reel and have not damaged it yet, but it is heavy and the line lay isnt fantastic. I have an FA stella t-bar handle on,  which makes this reel very comfortable for jigging. It is my main heavy spin

Dan Wulf

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
March 22, 2011, 07:49:25 PM
ive got the saragosa 18000

it is similar to spheros but for the following, prices in $AUD

1) paladin (basically a hard black coating) on main gear $40 part
2) machined handle $100+
3) bearings on both sides of main gear as oppposed to a bushing on one side with spheros $5
4) carbon drag upgrade $20

ive hooked some stingrays the size of car bonnets with this reel and have not damaged it yet, but it is heavy and the line lay isnt fantastic. I have an FA stella t-bar handle on,  which makes this reel very comfortable for jigging. It is my main heavy spin

Very useful information!

When I was looking for a spare reel - which will only come in use when inviting a guest or in the odd (?) event of a problem with a Stella - the choice was between a Saragosa 18000F (319 USD) and a Spheros 18000FB (164 USD). So I went for the Spheros + a carbontex drag washer upgrade. In case I further down the road will upgrade with a stronger handle (120 USD?), the price difference will become insignificant and I may regret that I did not purchase the Saragosa. Well - the damage seems tolerable.  :D