Thor Hafnor

GT fishing in havana Cuba?
March 12, 2011, 11:35:34 PM
Hi everyone. I wanted to find some info on fishing opportunities in Cuba, and I have not found a lot on the web. I know that there is tarpon, bonefish etc. on the flats there but I really want to go offshore and try some popping or jigging. Is there any GT, tuna, kingfish, barracudas, marlins there? I am staying at the hotel de nacional in the Havana area.

Best regards, Thor

Jonas Holmsgard

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: GT fishing in havana Cuba?
March 13, 2011, 12:51:03 AM
Hi Thor,
There are no GTs anywhere in the Atlantic I am afraid. In Cuba you can find good fishing for amberjack, cubera snapper, jacks etc. But probably not in Havanna. The south coast and its' archipelagos are more likely to produce. There are some "cays" on the north shore that also might have some decent fishing. In and around Havanna I think the focus is on traditional Big game trolling and they do catch some marlin, tuna, sails etc. Tourist boats probably go for barracuda and king mackerel - but just trolling I would think.
The coolest fishing on Cuba is ration, bones and permit - but again not in Havanna...

/Jonas (Sweden)

Doug Terry

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
March 24, 2011, 10:34:06 PM
Hi Thor: Go to http://www.worldseafishing.com  goto International Angler/Caribbean.
All the information you need about Cuba is there.
 If you want to do a bit of DIY avoid Cayo Largo the island is in the hands of The Avalon fishing Club and they have banned DIY on the island. The other place for information on Cuba is Cuba Mania web site .
Hope this helps
doug

Marc Inoue

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
March 26, 2011, 09:39:02 AM
As others have said, there are no GT's in Cuba.
You can catch Jacks (Crevalle), Sails, Marlin and lots of Barracuda.
I don't think there are ay charters that are specialized in jgging and popping.
Probably your best bet is to check out the boats in the Marina Hemingway a little north of Havanna.