David Sharples

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
http://www.sportfishingmag.com/techniques/tips/staying-power-53427.html

Just been reading this, there's probably been other stuff written on the same topic but the thing I found interesting was that this guy was tying 12 turn biminis in braid and recording 98% break strength in Tufline XP and Power Pro.

Is the reason you need a 70 plus turn bimini for popping down to the line having a lower shock tolerance? I think I read something Luke wrote about this somewhere..

Anyway, reading for anyone who'd bored at work like me!

David Sharples

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
Just as a further thought. Tuf line XP dry break strength of 20lb stated test is 21.1lb. Power Pro 20lb breaks at 36lb.

Diameter of the XP rated at 80lb is 0.018", Power Pro is 0.017"

From this as we're obviously not fishing IGFA then Power Pro seems a better choice, greater strength to diameter ratio plus biminis test far higher?

I hope some of you guys in the southern hemisphere wake up soon so I don't end up having this conversation with myself! Is Power Pro available over there?

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
David, I think you'll find most of us regard that article as a "thank you but we'll disregard it"
There have also been numerous other tests done which quite clearly indicate that the 70 turn is more effective at retaining breaking strength than a lesser number of turns. A lot of tests that are conducted don't simulate a strike from a fish. It's the immediate shock load that does the damage. I've seen snap offs at the spool on very heavy braid from a powerful strike on numerous occasions. If the test is conducted using a gradual load being exerted, it does not simulate reality to a strike from a powerful fish like a GT.

There is a good reason why experienced GT fishos stick with the 50 - 70 turn bimimi.
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Greg Burt

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
The way I see it is the top of the knot is the weakest point, where the single line is first clinched by the 'spirals' where there is not any noticeable difference between 12 or 70 turns, but where it makes a difference is in 'slippage' of the knot. I think a 12 turn could be slipped with hand pressure let alone under fighting conditions which means you are putting all the strain on one strand of the double.
 My theory :)
  Greg
Greg 'FFF' Burt

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
here David, read this - http://www.westernangler.com.au/default.asp?action=article&ID=87

I am far more inclined to accept this article as gospel based on the way Neil conducted the test as well as based on what GT fishos have found actually works in practice. I find putting 70 turns into the bimimi hardly takes another ten to twenty seconds.

I suppose the biggest test and one that the author of that article did not confirm was that he now actually uses 12 turns himself.

On the breaking strains of the line, I'd be cautious relying too heavily on these. I've seen different tests result in different braking strains and I think the primary issue is that braid is not that consistent in terms of its breaking strain. Personally, I prefer to buy a line that will break at its stated breaking strain. At least I know what I am buying.

Hal Harvey

I suppose the biggest test and one that the author of that article did not confirm was that he now actually uses 12 turns himself.

Not sure what you meant to say there Brandon but I'm sure it didn't come out right!

As the author of the article I can say I now use 70 turns in Biminis in braid... also important I believe to not have much tension on the first ten or so, and tighten up more as the knot progresses.

lonhro

I think Brandon is referring to the Author of the other article not you Hal  ;D

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
hehe  :D   If you read it that way, it certainly didn't come out right!

I was actually referring to Doug Olander's article, Hal. Not the one you wrote in Western Angler! The article you wrote in Western Angler about the tests conducted by Neil pretty much serves as gospel today for most GT fishos.

Not sure what you meant to say there Brandon but I'm sure it didn't come out right!

As the author of the article I can say I now use 70 turns in Biminis in braid... also important I believe to not have much tension on the first ten or so, and tighten up more as the knot progresses.

David Sharples

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
Cheers, for the link. Makes loads more sense. Still like the idea of more strength to diameter in Power Pro though. Could break tests in a single brand show as much inconsistency as 50%?

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
David - I don't think I can offer an informed opinion on that. Perhaps guys like Hal or Neil would have more idea on this but I don't want to offer an opinion on something where I simply don't know.