Daniel Wong

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
New Caledonia Mixed Trip Advice?
April 01, 2011, 09:29:56 AM
Hey Peeps,

My missus and I are looking to take a trip somewhere in July, and New Cal is right up there as an option. Now it wont be a fishing holiday as such ::), but i really wouod like to get out for a couple of days and stretch my arms.

Are you able to advise me on where we should stay so as to be in good proximity for some fishing & of course a location that will keep the lady happy? ie day spa's etc...

Realistically I'll probably be able to get out on a charter for 2 days, so any operator advice woudl also be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks Guys
Dan

Jay Burgess

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Re: New Caledonia Mixed Trip Advice?
April 01, 2011, 12:34:38 PM
Other anglers have had similar requests in the past and it seems Fiji might be a better option for this.

Peter Morris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
April 01, 2011, 01:38:40 PM
Fiji is a great option if Kids are involved.

Pete

David Noble

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
April 01, 2011, 04:32:46 PM
Ditto Jay and Peter's comments..

Fiji is family friendly, good value, easy and a fishing boat is never too far away (albeit in varying degrees of quality, price and service)
Vanuatu would make the short list option also, a fair bit more going on in Port Vila if that's your thing.  Best place to stay for the missus would be The Havannah, very nice boutique waterfront resort, out of the way in a stunning area.
As for New Cal, very good place to fish but it's a huge area so good and not so good spots. Noumea not the best from an anglers point of view, most of the Tourism and resorts are based around here.

What about Bali, those lush private villa experiences and service you get in Seminyak and Ubud really shows up most of the Pacific.
Does have fishing options, though I didn't fish when I was there.  Maybe speak to forum member Mark and the other Bali familiar guys on the forum?

Cheers David

Ben Furness

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
April 01, 2011, 04:49:19 PM
If you end up going to Bali I have a newly built 4 bedroom villa I could sort you out with, billiard room, media room with pool and ocean views in Jimbaran. Comes with a maid, gardener and a driver as well.

Mark seems to know everyone involved with fishing there and has helped me sort out a fantastic trip in three weeks time.

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
April 02, 2011, 11:08:42 PM
Bali does work well as a mixed family/fishing holiday. A David rightly says, this island is home to some of the plushest luxury accommodation anywhere in the world.

But for Daniel, July is not a valid option: June, July and August are months to avoid for fishing - it pretty much shuts down.

Al Morrison

April 04, 2011, 06:22:28 PM
Daniel,
The Maldives would certainly be well worth considering. Phenomenal range of fishing for all budgets. Excellent GT fishing only a few minutes from a spa .... leave the little lady at the resort and get after it. Not sure what your budget is but i can recommend the Conrad on Rangali island. My partner loved it, my kids loved it on an earlier trip. The fishing was expensive - but hey having a 40 ft Riviera all to yourself never comes cheap. The boat there has an excellent skipper who knows his fishing and specializes in GT fishing / popping. July is nice because it is monsoon - the rates are down, occupancy is down, weather is OK sunny and cloudy etc. I was there last July and landed fish to about 25 kgs. The Hilton in the north also has superb facilities although its merely 5 star !! Boat is OK, skipper OK, but you need your own gear. I also snuck off to a deserted island for a half day and got dropped off with a fly rod and some drinks. MAGICAL - being left alone on a sandy island with nobody in sight. I was chasing bones, but saw bluefin and GT's there too. That was a cheap half day. The Kanuhura in the NE also has great fishing (fly fishing, LB GT fishing etc both cheap) and also a game boat - I havent been on the game boat I only fished the islands nearby. I believe the same guys runs it as when it was a One & Only resort. Those are three resorts i have taken women and children to and all have received great reviews from all concerned.

Daniel Wong

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
April 05, 2011, 01:49:19 PM
Hi All,

Thanks so much for all your advice. It's certainly changed things up a bit.

Had a look at Maldives just spectacular!!! But unfortunately a bit over budget as I want to do a new cal fishing only trip later this year.

I think we're going to hit the whitsundays instead... Not sure which one just yet, but will research the options!

Thanks again guys really appreciated!

Dan

Daniel Kaggelis

April 05, 2011, 04:15:32 PM
If you are thinking about the Whitsundays you may be better off looking into staying somewhere around Hinchinbrook Island instead like Cape Richards resort. The outer reef is close and the the GT fishing is awesome  (not many poeple pop there lots of meat fishos). Not sure how good after Cyclone Yasi but it is a much better option then the whitsundays

Al Morrison

April 06, 2011, 01:42:49 AM
Daniel,

The Maldives has cheaper options ...... I just havent used them  8)

Daniel Wong

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
April 06, 2011, 12:23:22 PM
Thanks Dan - I'l have a look into that!

Al - lucky bugger!  >:(

marinco koj

April 06, 2011, 07:17:37 PM
Hey Dan

Go Fiji, it's cheaper and you can hire the boat for more days, she can tan and you can pop.

mk

Daniel Wong

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
April 07, 2011, 10:58:21 AM
Marinco!

How are you chief??

funny you should mention it, cos we discussed it last night and Fiji turned up as an option. going to stay north in denarau this time - that's drive to the Cral Coast is just too darn dangerous!

god forbid i get into an accident and damage my gear!

Haha

Al Morrison

April 07, 2011, 11:18:54 AM
Daniel, hahahaha luck it isnt - planning  it is...  after treating the missuss to a 6 star splurge with some decent GT fishing in the Maldives she didnt bat an eyelid when i suggested we do a liveaboard with LPB later this year...... so it has paid off.... :P Seriously there are cheaper option there and great liveaboards too. Thats another dream ...... 6 day liveaboard casting off the roof of a nice big boat ...

Jeff Larsen

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
April 10, 2011, 02:34:51 PM
Fiji would be a better option IMO with the family.