Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Connection from mainline to leader
April 17, 2011, 07:09:50 PM
I was wondering what most people are using to connect the leader to the mainline. I know that when we first started the forum, the majority of anglers were using bimimi double to twisted leader but it seems like there has been quite a migration to friction knots.
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Chuen Fan

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
Re: Connection from mainline to leader
April 17, 2011, 07:15:24 PM
It'd probably be easier to start a poll with a few different knots for people to vote/choose on Brandon.

For me I've always stuck to a 'FG' knot connection. Haven't had one fail yet (touch wood) so won't be changing it anytime soon.
AKA: Sunny

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
April 17, 2011, 07:25:55 PM
Thanks Sunny - I just added a poll.
Good idea!
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Jay Burgess

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
April 17, 2011, 08:41:34 PM
Anyone that selects 'other', can you specify what connection it is?

jake mitchell

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
April 17, 2011, 10:01:43 PM
Anyone that selects 'other', can you specify what connection it is?

i selected other, i mostly jig,troll and bottom fish so i use wind-ons that i make myself. i've used fg's and for a while when i first popped just an albright but when i do a bit of popping i just use a wind on because they're there and easy to use. the only down side is that you have to keep an eye on the dacron connection for wear.

jake

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
April 18, 2011, 04:22:31 PM
Always FG to single strand leader for both popping and jigging these days. Since I learned to tie one properly, have never had a failure.

Andrew Smart

April 18, 2011, 05:16:38 PM
Always FG to single strand leader for both popping and jigging these days. Since I learned to tie one properly, have never had a failure.

Ditto!

Andre van Wyk

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • DARK CONTINENT DARKSTAR RIDER
  • Liked:
April 18, 2011, 05:33:26 PM
I'm currently using a PR for Single strand leaders, or windons with hollowcore spliced loops...

For twisties I prefer a Hollowcore spliced loop over a Bimini if I'm using JB, or a Braid Stich loop instead of a Bimini... I'm not crazy about Bimini's in braid, although I've not had many failures, I find the stitch loop 100%, and I can make the loop nice and small...

I've never had someone to show me the FG, so not tried it yet... need to do some reading up and Youtube searching I guess...
To Ride, Shoot Straight and Speak the Truth...

Jay Burgess

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
April 18, 2011, 06:54:17 PM
I've never had someone to show me the FG, so not tried it yet... need to do some reading up and Youtube searching I guess...

Youtube's a good place to start. Just practice at home and test it to breaking point.

Andre van Wyk

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • DARK CONTINENT DARKSTAR RIDER
  • Liked:
April 18, 2011, 06:59:06 PM
Cheers Jay, will get on it...
Just landed a bunch of Streamline Wind Ons for an upcoming trip, so should be pretty set, but alwasy keen to learn a new connection, especially a well used and recommended one..
Cheers
To Ride, Shoot Straight and Speak the Truth...

Dan Wulf

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
April 18, 2011, 10:15:14 PM
DIY wind-on leaders -> 130 lb mono in double sleeve 130 lb JB hollow braid. The wind-on is connected to main line via loop-to-loop (bimmini twist on mainline). I'm still in process of optimizing the serve between mono and hollow braid on the wind-ons. I have just received a serving tool from Beiter and will start making tighter serves using this tool. (http://www.wernerbeiter.com/en/products/winder/Winder_Profi.php).

Travis Heaps

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
April 19, 2011, 08:35:58 AM
For popping I use the catspaw to twisty. 

For stickbaits i've been uusing "other"...this one -> http://www.gtpopping.com/forum/index.php?topic=3565.0

Vinh Nguyen

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
April 19, 2011, 05:55:21 PM
Here is something different I can contribute to the GT popping world.  My  connection goes like...... solid braid (short uni to uni) to 6-8ft of hollow core spliced to mono (4ft of mono spliced into the hollow core and about 10-15ft of lead line), nail knot the hollow and mono splice with a drop of glue, from there I either double up for bite leader or uni to uni a heavier mono bite leader.

I like this connection because I'm able to cast solid braid with the stream line connection of the hollow core spliced mono and retie is quick and easy.  Nailed knotted splice cast a lot smoother than a FG knot.

William Espina

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
April 19, 2011, 06:37:14 PM
yup FG for both popping and jigging for me ;)

fish on!

Kurt Carlson

April 24, 2011, 04:44:16 AM
I have been using an albright knot finished off with some half hitches.  It has worked good for me and is quick and easy for both single and twisty leaders.  I no longer cast leader through the eyes as I have had to many eyes bent.  I am going to try the FG again with the video posted if I can be patient enough to wait for it to load with the blistering internet speeds here (64kps)