Kevin Hulse

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Popping the Montebello Islands 2011
April 20, 2011, 09:02:14 PM
Brad,

What an incredible trip! Some great photos there. Scenery looks awsome and the fishing looked pretty red hot too  8)

Doesn't get much better than that

Cenovito Zamudio

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
April 20, 2011, 09:43:02 PM
looks like an awesome trip

Brad.Bell

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
April 20, 2011, 10:00:45 PM
Thanks guys, I love the montes sure is a great place.  I especially love trying to figure stuff out for myself, the DIY trips sure add a whole dimension to this game.  Thanks and i am glad some of you liked the photos

cheers

Brad

Chris Young

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
April 21, 2011, 07:08:13 AM
Love your work Brad, you got a nice backyard to play in  ;D

Zeck Lim

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
April 21, 2011, 11:25:36 AM
Brad, this is amazing. You guys are so blessed to have such awesome fishing grounds. Thanks for sharing.

Clay Hilbert

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
April 21, 2011, 10:15:44 PM
Awesome report! Thanks for sharing! Nice looking GT platform you have their mate, nice set-up. Just on question, what type of retrieve were you using for the bopara's?

Brad.Bell

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
April 22, 2011, 11:20:51 AM
Awesome report! Thanks for sharing! Nice looking GT platform you have their mate, nice set-up. Just on question, what type of retrieve were you using for the bopara's?

when the GT's were switched on we were letting them hit the water and then with a low rod tip just cranking them back to the boat.  Other typical actions, long sweeps, twitches etc worked as well

Shaun Raymond

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
April 27, 2011, 09:32:20 PM
Brad.

Wow what a trip report mate, i have a trip scheduled to the montes with a charter company called bluejuice in september, i noticed that your trip was only recently, i love my gt fishing and just came back from new caledonia and am keen for more, can you tell me if you think that sep is also a good time for the gt fishing in those parts.

Thanks mate, and thanks for the post it has got me all fired up.....

Travis Heaps

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
April 28, 2011, 12:42:19 PM
Hey Brad - i think that there is pretty much no better trip than one you research, plan and go through with yourself - even moreso when you get amongst the fish.  The adventure and unknown of a self guided trip is really great, along with the nudeing up for a bucket bath on the remote beach as the sun goes down  :o ;D  And when you can cap it off with trout and chips like that even better.  One of my fave trips reports on this site so far, thanks for sharing.

Jay Burgess

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
April 28, 2011, 01:17:09 PM
Brad.

Wow what a trip report mate, i have a trip scheduled to the montes with a charter company called bluejuice in september, i noticed that your trip was only recently, i love my gt fishing and just came back from new caledonia and am keen for more, can you tell me if you think that sep is also a good time for the gt fishing in those parts.

Thanks mate, and thanks for the post it has got me all fired up.....

Hi Shaun, GT fishing in the Pilbara is a year round affair although I find that they can be a little more fired up and willing to bite in the warmer months throughout summer. I also have a trip planned to the montes in September and there should be plenty of GT's about. It can get a little windy at that time of year so that will be the only thing you need to watch out for.

Scott Maybury

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
April 29, 2011, 07:34:54 AM
Very high levels of awesomeness there guys, well done, such cool light tackle fishing plus some beaut GT's, that view from the camp and the fish and chips would have been enough for me to brave the trip there (as long as I didn't have to drink Corona haha)

Some nice pics too

Thanks for sharing. Not quite sure if I am more happy or depressed that I read this report :D

Mick Rowley

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
April 29, 2011, 09:59:36 AM
Totally agree with everyone, cracking good trip and report, makes me want to hook up the boat and put in the long haul from nsw south coast. why do i have to live so far away from the gt's!!!!!

Brad.Bell

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
May 01, 2011, 11:43:59 AM
thanks guys yep certainly is a pretty good feeling completing a good DIY trip, i like charters too dont get me wrong but sometimes is is pretty cool to suss out a spot on your own and score.

cheers for all the positive comments

Brad