Daniel Kaggelis

Using wire
May 06, 2011, 05:47:51 PM
Finally got up to a GT spot I have been dying to froth but really struggled to raise the fish from below. Swapped to jigging gear and got some good GTs which gave us enough incentive to go back the popping gear. Instead of large pops we tried lots of short sharp pops which seem to fire up the schools of spanish mack which proceeded to hammer our poppers in flying missile like attacks, lots of fun but they chewed right through the leader and after losing several cuberas which dissappeared like lolly pops down their throats it became apparent with no wire in the boat we were really not prepared. Whilst we still landed some spanish using assist hooks set ups it seemed a little futile to keep going. In saying that i have nvere used wire popping before and would love to hear how people rig using wire. 

Warwick Joyce

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Using wire
May 07, 2011, 08:01:02 AM
Daniel, I have not used wire in a popping set up as the macks are not a major problem popping here. However whist jigging they are crazy, you can get snipped off on the drop without even noticing. Its pretty easy to waste a hundred $ or 2 in no time!
I start with mono and if the macks are thick I will quickly change to a wire setup which is really simple (if you can tie the FG knot) I tie the mainline straight to multi strand mono coated wire with the FG (usually about 80lb wire) and only about 30cm max then crimp a swivel in then split ring- lure.
Pretty basic, you have to watch your strike drag as its easy to pull hooks as there is no stretch at all.

I run it like this because if you add mono in between the braid and wire there will inevitably be a bubble trail from the mono-wire connection and the razor gang love to hit that as well.

I think you have to use a mono coated wire to achieve a good bite in the FG knot, I haven't had one fail yet.

Greg Burt

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
May 07, 2011, 08:55:29 AM
Aaron Concord uses a mono wire bite leader as a standard setup, while I often use a crimped 200-300 mm 7strand bite leader crimped on to wind-ons when trolling in Wahoo country, either bite leader will work.
Pic 1 are Single strand add on s for jigging
Pic 2 is the crimped 7 strand bite leader [Wellsy's Tackle pic who sell them]
Greg 'FFF' Burt

Graham Scott

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
May 07, 2011, 03:15:07 PM
daniel,
next time try switching to a longer popper or a stickbait. mackerel are a tail snipper,if you fish long profile you have more distance between mono and teeth. not fail safe but will improve your chances. if i fish bait i use wire with a livie and single hook but don't bother if using a long gang hook setup like a gar or ribbonfish

William Espina

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
May 08, 2011, 01:59:42 AM
what lbs breaking strain are you guys using when macks and wahoo are about? how long are the wires you use?
i normally use 90lbs sevenstrand wire upto 300lbs when the toothy gang are around. i make them as short as i can.

tim watson

May 08, 2011, 04:54:45 AM
i use wire when ever spinning or popping if there are critters with teeth near by - only use 5 inches or so and i use AFW Surfion Micro Supreme which goes upto 90lb and is like braid rather than stiff wire - very easy to tie knots with no crimping involved - very supple and easy to use. you may wanna look at titanium leaders or wire too. I find titanium harder to use and you cannot really knot it.

Nigel Hagley

May 08, 2011, 09:29:11 PM
Hi Daniel

For your poppers, you can use a foot long of 175lb or heavier 49 strand wire, crimp one end to a solid ring and the other end also to a solid ring. (rings like the type you use for jigging). Pre make them at home and when needed, tie your leader to one of the the solid ring and the the other solid ring connect to you popper with a heavy (GT) split ring. Simple and strong. You will sort out the macks pretty quickly.

49 strand more supple, less prone to kink but more visible. Single strand is good for stealth but kinks a lot.