Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
See you in a week, guys!
March 24, 2007, 03:52:11 PM
Well, I'm off fishing for the next week in Vanuatu so I'll be absent from the forum. I'm praying to the weather gods to be kind to us. The trip has already ahd some serious speedbumps before we even go! The two guys who were leaving from Brisbane had their Virgin Blue flight cancelled and told to come back tomorrow. Thankfully, they have been able to get flights down to Sydney and onto the Air Vanuatu flight which the rest of us are on.

Hope we get into some nice fish!  ;D
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Andrew Poulos

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
Re: See you in a week, guys!
March 24, 2007, 04:07:31 PM
Good luck..hope you have a great time.Hopefully catch up with you when you get back one arvo.

Make sure you get some great pics too !

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
March 24, 2007, 07:03:30 PM
sitting in the Qantas Club waiting for my flight.......
Thanks - I'll certainly try to take a number of pics this time as I have a camera now! Just hope we catch some decent fish which are worthwhile taking pictures of

Andrew Poulos

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
March 25, 2007, 04:55:22 PM
Hmm..bet you will have an interesting trip. Just read earthquake of 7.2 in the region....

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
March 28, 2007, 12:53:49 PM
You got in one, Andrew

It has been one of those nightmare trips. We spent one day getting out to the fishing location. The sea was dead flat like a swimming pool. We then fished the next day is equally calm conditions. We spent a few hours trolling and jigging around an active volcano and it was one of the most beautiful looking spots I have ever seen. It looked amazing for dogtooth etc and one day later, we are running from a cyclone. I am in Port Vila at the moment as a cyclone is lashing the city.

I also heard there was an earthquake in the area too.  :-[
I've fished enough where I am philosohical about it but I really feel sorry for a couple of the other guys to whom this was a trip they had been looking forward to for so long. It's his one trip a year unlike me with my six trips a year.

I haven't seen better looking dogtooth ground that the are we were fishing. It's a shame but I'll be back. We're still hoping for a couple of days fishing if the cyclone passes over. Can only hope.

Hmm..bet you will have an interesting trip. Just read earthquake of 7.2 in the region....

Narc

March 28, 2007, 01:13:53 PM
Hi B.

Sorry to hear the trip didnt turn out too well...
Guess anglers have the biggest enemies in the world... dynamites, commercial trawl nets, weather, earthquakes....

Wish you better luck for the coming days...

Andrew Poulos

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
March 28, 2007, 01:24:11 PM
I thought an earthquake would be enough, but a cyclone too. Fingers crossed it does pass enough to get a bit more fishing in....

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
March 28, 2007, 08:43:14 PM
Guys, that's fishing.  Hopefully, my next trip will be in better weather. That said, I've seen enough to be able to see the potential of this fishery. I'll be back some time

Andrew Poulos

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
March 28, 2007, 09:39:47 PM
With 6 trips a year, Im sure the next will fire. I need a new job I think to be able to support more fishing!

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
March 31, 2007, 08:03:35 PM
home now - we managed to get out the last couple of days but it was a wipeout. There was bugger all around fishing out of Port Vila and I think the after effects of all those natural disasters had the fish spooked. How bad overall? Well, I've had worse but it was pretty bad overall. That said, the outer islands look like they have enormous potential for huge dogtooth. I've never seen better grounds for doggies anywhere. Huge sea mounts with really big drop-offs.

I'd be keen to organise another trip over to focus on the doggies. May think about going back next year to take revenge!!

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
April 01, 2007, 02:35:55 PM
home now - we managed to get out the last couple of days but it was a wipeout. There was bugger all around fishing out of Port Vila and I think the after effects of all those natural disasters had the fish spooked. How bad overall? Well, I've had worse but it was pretty bad overall. That said, the outer islands look like they have enormous potential for huge dogtooth. I've never seen better grounds for doggies anywhere. Huge sea mounts with really big drop-offs.

I'd be keen to organise another trip over to focus on the doggies. May think about going back next year to take revenge!!

That's a real shame mate.

Better luck next time ;D

Andrew Poulos

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
April 02, 2007, 08:29:15 AM
Could have been worse..
A TSUNAMI alert has been issued for parts of the Pacific - including Australia - after a strong earthquake near the Solomon Islands.

The quake, with a preliminary magnitude of 7.8, jolted the South Pacific Ocean at 6.40am (AEST).

The Pacific Tsunami Warning Centre has issued a tsunami warning for Solomon Islands, Papua New Guinea, Vanuatu, Nauru, Chuuk, New Caledonia, Pohnpei, Kosrae, Australia, Indonesia, Tuvalu, Kiribati, and Marshall Island.

Greg Burt

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
April 02, 2007, 08:47:08 AM
Warning for GBR Islands for about 9,30am
 Fingers XXXX
Greg 'FFF' Burt

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
April 12, 2007, 07:51:55 AM
I'm off again - to Shoalwater Bay this time
Hope I have better luck with the fishing on this occasion -at least there are no cyclones hanging around that I am aware of.

Greg Burt

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
April 12, 2007, 08:35:32 AM
Fri ESE 15-20knts dropping to SE 10-15knts by Tue, maybe a bit wet Mon.
 Half your luck, have fun.
Greg 'FFF' Burt