Ludovic Goldschmidt

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
hello,need your advices about stickbait rods.want a rod for lures between 140and 180g whithout hooks. fish whith varivas avani gt in 100 lbs and drag max about 12 kg.the best stickbait is for me the carpenter gamma 160 grs,need a rod for this lure and orion big foot and big nambas 170 grs too.
thanks for your advices.
ludo

Andy Rowe

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Set the ray to GeeT

Ben Furness

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
MH80H  :D

Seems to be a popular choice for poppers/stickbaits under 200g. Does it suit both styles of fishing?

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
For Gamma 160, my preference would be a Carpenter TBL711 or Ripple Ultimo 79MH or 83MH. For the Orions, most rods would do the job.
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Andy Rowe

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
MH80H  :D

Seems to be a popular choice for poppers/stickbaits under 200g. Does it suit both styles of fishing?

(/quote]

Ben, it will do both. Not ideal for big faced chugging lures over 150gm though I have used 150gm skipjacks and GT2 and it is fine for them. Due to the 250gm lure max stated on the rod I am thinking it was designed more to handle the big 200gm gammas. It is not a finesse rod but if you could take only 1 GT rod into potentially big GT country to cast medium poppers and big stickbaits a long way it would be great.

Andy

Set the ray to GeeT

Ludovic Goldschmidt

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
perhaps coral viper is the best rod for gamma 160 or big foot 180?
OR RIPPLE ULTIMO 79 H?

YOUR ADVICE

Luke Seyrek

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
For Gamma 160, my preference would be a Carpenter TBL711 or Ripple Ultimo 79MH or 83MH. For the Orions, most rods would do the job.

Hi Brandon, would you say there's much difference between the Ultimo 83MH and Ripple Long cast 82 as the specs seem very similar.

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Luke, the Ultimo 83MH has a softer tip than the 82LC but you're right - they are similar

Luke Seyrek

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
Thanks for confirming that Brandon. Have a friend tossing up between the 2 rods will pass it on, cheers!

Andy Rowe

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Personally i would say the 160 gamma would be the heaviest unrigged lure for the CV, for me it feels and casts better with lures (rigged) to around 150-160gm maximum. I'd be going for a bigger rod with 180gm unrigged lures.

perhaps coral viper is the best rod for gamma 160 or big foot 180?
OR RIPPLE ULTIMO 79 H?

YOUR ADVICE
Set the ray to GeeT

Antonino Augugliaro

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
Some news about EP 82/38? Should be good choice for stick in 160 gr range? Has someone check This rod jet? I'm thinking to some rods, but choice isn't easy: rp ultimo 83mh or 79h, carpenter cv 79/40, tbl 711/35, ep 82/38, yamaga blue reef  710/8 710/10. Some of these are pe 10 rods and my fear is that should be to stiff for floating stick bait. My be better a pe8 for This range of stick ( 140-180 gr)? Sorry for the enquire, but I need to make order before purchase.

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
All the rods you have mentioned will do the job.
Of course a lighter tip will be better for a 160 Gamma but if you want to use PE10, then not much choice. If you want to use PE8, then obviously, a PE8 rod would be more suitable for the lure.

Antonino Augugliaro

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
Thanks Brandon,
I've some little trubles whit english, so I can't explain well, but I've appreciate your answer.
For stick in this range I'll fish whit PE7-8, so now I can exclude some models on PE10 rating.
For bigger stick (gamma 200, 250) I think to go on a Monster Hunter 79EH or other rods in similar class (whit this rod I intend to pop G-I cup too).

So my set up will be as follow:

1) stick bait up to 160 (unrigged): EP82/38, CV79/40, TBL 711/35.
2) stick bait up to 250: MH79EH, Tokara60, RF FS79H.

My be CV79/40 should replace also my GTGame for medium popping, up to 150gr?

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
It depends on which GT Game you have - T-RS or T-RSH. T-RSH is definitely stronger than CV79.

Antonino Augugliaro

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
I've Tr-s model, Brandon