Dan Konig

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
PE3 rod recommendations
June 08, 2011, 12:01:16 PM
I am chasing some guidance on PE3 rod choice.

Currently looking at either a Yamaga Blue Sniper 70/3, Blue Sniper 65/3 or a Ripplefisher Apis 69MH

Needs to be 7ft or shorter, and much prefer something that is not a single piece (which is steering me away from the Ripple).

Looking for something to be my 'go to' rod for most types of fishing in Western Australia, including small stickbaits, soft plastics etc.

Will be paired with a 6000 size reel.

To add yet another requirement, it needs to be something that I can get stock of locally in WA, as it is a rod that is being bought by insurance to replace another which was broken.

Does anyone have any other recommendations? Or any experiences with the two Yamaga rods which would suggest a difference between the two (other than the length)?

Thanks in advance.

Dan

Dan Konig

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
Re: PE3 rod recommendations
June 08, 2011, 01:25:05 PM
To this list it's been suggested that I add the Zenaq Twitch FC70-3.

Would appreciate any feedback that people can provide on this rod relative to the others suggested.

Cheers

Dan

Peter Childs

• Bluefin Tuna
  • If it moves......cast at it!
  • Liked:
June 08, 2011, 02:00:41 PM
Dan

I'm in the hunt for something very very similar (see my post under PE4 stickbait rod). 

In reply I had the opportunity to visit Gara Proshop yesterday and played host to Luke's hospitality.  Those guys bent over backwards to find a rod to suit me and a number of offerings were "Oh so close", I must say, they have some beautiful rods there from a number of manufacturers which would suit your brief (slightly lighter and shorter than what I am looking for).  A couple of rods from CB one and Seven Seas spring to mind - these look ideal.

I know they are east coast based, but with that kind of customer service I reckon the boys will come up with a way of getting the right rod into your hands.

PS. Kudos to Gara, looking forward to the Website.........and the shopfront!

Cheers, Peter

Chuen Fan

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
June 08, 2011, 02:04:32 PM
Dan, I recently had a heap of fun catching baby GT's, Mackeral and Bludgers on a Nitro Viper (7 foot, 2 pce) in Malaysia. Not in the class of the Japanese premiums but equal to the task, also a fair bit cheaper! In saying that though, the Yamaga 70/3 remains my favourite for that line class.
AKA: Sunny

Jamie Moir

June 08, 2011, 03:25:32 PM
You can find a stockist for the smith KGS60MH if you really have to!

Samuel Chieng

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
June 08, 2011, 04:24:20 PM
One of my rods is the Majorcraft Crostage, a new line of saltwater casting rod. Works stickbaits, lures and poppers up to 40-60gm real fine. Great build (Fuji K Guides, double locknut on reel seat), and easy on the wallet. 

There is the Hots Gipang Tide Lez series which you can consider too.

Dan Konig

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
June 08, 2011, 04:26:49 PM
Thankyou for the comments so far guys.

I think the difficulty is going to be finding a stockist for a lot of these in WA, though I know the Yamaga can be purchased at a couple of places here.

Dan

Jon Li

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
June 08, 2011, 04:40:28 PM
My latest acquisition ; MC Works LN733CR .

Jon .
It's not what you don't know that gets you into trouble , it's what you know for sure that ain't so . Mark Twain .

Chuen Fan

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
June 08, 2011, 04:49:55 PM
You've given up on Carpenter's Jon?
AKA: Sunny

Jon Li

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
June 08, 2011, 05:37:30 PM
You've given up on Carpenter's Jon?

Hi Sunny ,

Not at all , MC Works is another top brand we are representing for the region , we will concentrate more on their jigging rods because of their specialities , both Carpenter n MC Works complements each other .

Jon .
It's not what you don't know that gets you into trouble , it's what you know for sure that ain't so . Mark Twain .

Tony Yancic

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
June 08, 2011, 05:55:52 PM
hi jon
how do you compare the MC Works LN733CR to the BC75MLR for 5000sw whats your Opinion on both rods cheers

Tony

Jon Li

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
June 08, 2011, 06:46:51 PM
hi jon
how do you compare the MC Works LN733CR to the BC75MLR for 5000sw whats your Opinion on both rods cheers

Tony

Hi Tony ,

Visual observation wise , both rods share the same blank constructions but dimensions wise , BC75MLR har a beefier blank than LN733CR . I am yet to try both rods in an actual fishing condition , must get one of the blokes whom have got their BC75MLR to go fishing with me , so can't tell you how they differ but  according to my Japanese associate , Carpenter rods tend to be more robust while MC Works rods tend to be more forgiving .

LN733CR uses the new K guides system while BC75MLR still uses the conventional Ocean guide system , I was told this will change in the near future .

Jon .

Tony Yancic

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
June 09, 2011, 12:41:56 AM
Hi jon
thanks for that, Tak said that the new BC75MLR will be replaced with K-guides and they are testing  for the settings now and hopefully be available next year. i might wait as i think the BC75MLR with 5000Sw would be ideal for chasing southern blue fin tuna in south australia and kingfish up to 20kg i have being looking at the LN733cr saltywater tackel has one in stock but might wait for while see if i can get the BC75MLR when they are avalible.. or might even get both saves the confusion  ;D

Jon Li

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
June 09, 2011, 01:11:00 AM
Hi Tony ,

Those BC75MLRs we received from Japan went very quickly , among those who bought them are members of this forum from my immediate location , I am sure they will share their findings once they use the rod after going fishing .

I am sure the new batch of BC75MLR will have K guides but the earliest supply of this new batch won't happen until late this year or early next year . Carpenter BC75MLR is one of the most sought after rod all over the world , including JDM .

Jon .

Tony Yancic

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
June 09, 2011, 01:24:13 AM
Hi jon
I might have to try and pre order one as we have a few more carpenter agents in Australia now. like you say they are very hard to get hold of i dont know if i can pre order one, i would like too if i could, i think it would be worth the wait they would not be so popular for no reason, all i know is i want one..