June 16, 2011, 08:21:30 AM
Epic trip, that is mental DIY fishing. Great stuff thanks for sharing

Angus Hulme

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Stanage Bay Revisited May 2011
June 16, 2011, 10:08:04 AM
Brilliant work Tony, thanks so much for sharing all the detail and pics of this fantastic adventure, I found it extremely inspiring for my trip to Whitsundays in a few months time.

I'd actually love to see more DIY trip reports on this site, especially if they are anywhere near as informative and entertaining as yours!

Cheers mate, top shelf stuff!

Angus

Tony Fowler

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
June 16, 2011, 10:23:45 AM
Last Edit: June 19, 2011, 06:35:13 PM by Tony Fowler

Jay Burgess

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
June 16, 2011, 11:05:49 AM
Jay

Did you ever get Bill Bardsley out chasing GT's when you lived up north or is he sticking to meat fishing only?

Not sure that I know Bill, Tony... Any more info?

Bloody hell Tony, you guys are committed, thats a long way in a small boat - thanks for the post, great to see some photos to add to the story! 

Small? 6.5m to me is big  ;D We're used to doing similar trips in 5.2's  :-\

Tony Fowler

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
June 16, 2011, 11:38:25 AM
Jay, Bill's a bloke i know from Port Stephens who moved over to Karratha, I think his missus Julie worked for a recruitement agency and had you on her books. Sorry if i'm mistaken.

Peter Childs

• Bluefin Tuna
  • If it moves......cast at it!
  • Liked:
June 16, 2011, 12:12:11 PM
Hey Tony, yeah I hear you about the current.

I've geared up a 12 foot rigid inflatable with a 15hp on the back, flat casting floor and rocket launcher for 4 rods, I will be transporting it on the foredeck for offshore passages and tow it around on the flat.  She gets along at about 18 - 20 knots with 2 on board.  It should be ideal for lagoon work, but still managable on the reef edges if I'm careful.

I reckon that setup should be good for PE6, any heavier and I'm more likely to end up ON the reef rather than beside it!  I can see me doing a bit of jigging straight off the back deck of the yacht and some longcasting at anchor with the longer rods.  I'm hoping to catch up with a mate on the way north (who owns a 6.2m centre console) for a bit of mother shipping as well. 

Jay Burgess

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
June 16, 2011, 02:12:40 PM
Jay, Bill's a bloke i know from Port Stephens who moved over to Karratha, I think his missus Julie worked for a recruitement agency and had you on her books. Sorry if i'm mistaken.

Julie Bardsley definitely rings a bell, my crappy memory isn't doing me any favors at the moment though ???

To answer your question though, no, I didn't get out popping with Bill.
Last Edit: June 16, 2011, 02:15:15 PM by Jay Burgess

Tony Fowler

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
June 16, 2011, 03:30:26 PM
No worries Jay

Peter, you'll be right in that little boat on the lee side of either Percy island or with flat seas and minimal wind on the exposed sides, but add the typical strong current the area is renowned for and watch out. On the north and west side of Middle Percy there is plenty of ground to cover all within 5km of your anchorage. Likewise at Hexham.

Have fun

Graham Scott

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
June 16, 2011, 04:17:33 PM
Great report Tony,

Lets keep it a secret just amongst ourselves how good it is. However like you correctly point out you need a heck of a lot of prep, and some luck with the weather to pull off a trip like that.

Oh, and we do have some surf up here if you know where to look.

Tony Fowler

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
June 16, 2011, 04:34:19 PM
Thanks Graham

I don't think its a real secret anymore, but yes lots of prep., effort and timing the weather all goes to making or breaking the trip.

Yep i did see some surf peeling down a South Percy point. But its not like i can sneakout for a few in my lunch break now can I ;D

Cheers Tony

Graham Scott

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
June 16, 2011, 04:52:59 PM
Yeah,
Up here in Rocky all you seem to get in your lunch hour are a few Barra,

Kevin Hulse

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
June 17, 2011, 10:34:53 AM
What a fantastic report! Best read I have had in a long time. Gotta love the DIY trips. Gotta get myself up there one of these days

Travis Heaps

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
June 17, 2011, 05:36:34 PM

Looking forward to getting out there Tony...i'm a monday to fridayer now so it's a bit tougher but we're working on it!  New boat is amazing - really is brilliant - and you're right, no beaching this one or attempting High Peak coral garden at low tide! 

George Pang

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
June 17, 2011, 09:04:39 PM
Great report and great pics Tony, been meaning to do mission there..

Travis, a little birdie told me you got a new boat. Be interested in your thoughts on the setup of it.

George

Travis Heaps

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
June 18, 2011, 07:48:34 AM
PM sent George  :)