Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
I use 30lb, Jay. I still get completely wasted but if you get lucky, you can land some pretty respectable fish with it. Last year, I got a nice GT in the 26-28kg mark. Red bass tend to do terrible things to you.  :(

It's a great idea to have the light tackle with you because you can then have a lot of fun during the slow periods for GTs. The variety of fish on the flat when the tide is up can be amazing. The only difficulty is dragging yourself away from that when it is time to fish for GTs again!

When you say 'light' tackle, Brandon, exactly how light are we talking?
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Jay Burgess

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Red bass do terrible things to me on PE10 at times!

I use 30lb, Jay. I still get completely wasted but if you get lucky, you can land some pretty respectable fish with it. Last year, I got a nice GT in the 26-28kg mark. Red bass tend to do terrible things to you.  :(

It's a great idea to have the light tackle with you because you can then have a lot of fun during the slow periods for GTs. The variety of fish on the flat when the tide is up can be amazing. The only difficulty is dragging yourself away from that when it is time to fish for GTs again!

When you say 'light' tackle, Brandon, exactly how light are we talking?

Aaron Concord

A file shot of a typical red bass from the 04 heavy tackle marlin season.
Taken on PE 2.5 ..........the twisted 60lb fluorocarbon saved my sorry butt a few times :)

Aaron

Aaron Concord

Peter,

The trevors are usually going nuts down the Goldie at night at this time of year.
Depending on their mood, it's either plastics to get down to them, with another rod rigged with a popper to capitalize on their surface blitzes.

Light tackle is way cool  8)

Aaron.
PS.......do you normally see that many diamonds???? There are a few times of the year when they are around down here, though they are far from commonplace.

Aaron.

Ryan Theyer

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
Those diamon trevs look unreal. Good fun on light gear too no doubt. Well done mate.

Peter Morris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Peter,

The trevors are usually going nuts down the Goldie at night at this time of year.
Depending on their mood, it's either plastics to get down to them, with another rod rigged with a popper to capitalize on their surface blitzes.

Light tackle is way cool  8)

Aaron.
PS.......do you normally see that many diamonds???? There are a few times of the year when they are around down here, though they are far from commonplace.

Aaron.

Hi Aaron,

This year has seen the biggest Diamonds I have ever seen in the river.
They usually are smaller fish around the 40cm mark but this winter there have been some very nice fish in the 65-75cm range.
They are still one of the rarer Trevally in the river.This winter I know of ten fish caught.

Pete

Aaron Concord

Peter,

Perhaps the increase in Diamonds has been due to the La Nina/excessive wet we've had?????

August/September is prime time down the Goldie for them so here's hoping that they turn up in droves!

Some of the ones I have been connected to have been around 1m in length, though the rotten places that they hang out means only the tiddlers get caught!

Aaron.

Dale Ianna

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
Nice catch Peter, pretty good variety of fish in that area there. Some things never change, that area always come up with the goods. Just from interest were all those fish caught in the the same day, week, month time frame?

Peter Morris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Nice catch Peter, pretty good variety of fish in that area there. Some things never change, that area always come up with the goods. Just from interest were all those fish caught in the the same day, week, month time frame?

Hi Dale,

All from the last two months....The Trevally action has been very consistent this winter.

Pete