Martin Gundersen

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Shoes - for better grip
July 16, 2011, 11:03:37 PM
I'm looking for new shoes for a better grip. Specialy when casting from the front deck of boats I feel bare foot doesn't give me good enough grip.
What about the Shimano Evair? Are they any good?
http://www.tackledirect.com/shimano-evair-marine-fishing-shoes.html
Tight lines
Martin

Greg Burt

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Re: Shoes - for better grip
July 16, 2011, 11:19:53 PM
I used to wear the Shimano's as std wear but now always seem to be in Crocs or Nothins, prefer the Crocs for the boat wear.
PS: Top one for you Mr.Morris, in stock in Brissie ;)
Last Edit: July 16, 2011, 11:22:42 PM by Greg Burt
Greg 'FFF' Burt

Jon Li

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
July 17, 2011, 01:05:37 AM
I use Crocs or Sperry Topsider thongs ,

Jon .
It's not what you don't know that gets you into trouble , it's what you know for sure that ain't so . Mark Twain .

Dale Ianna

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
July 17, 2011, 08:41:21 AM
Hi martin, I've been wearing AC's (active casuals) shoes for about 4 years now. I have found them to be a much more comfortable shoe for my style of fishing, as they are no where near as bulky as the 'croc's' and shimano boots and are a much more snug fit. Not only that but a ridiculously light weight shoes. The only down side that i have heard from these, is that if your a bigger guy (lets  say 100kg plus) they may not support your weight and wear out quicker (my old man, fatty). They grip really well and for me ideal for still being able to use an electric motor pedal.  I also use mine for clambering down river's and gorges in the canoe. Lets just say i rate mine very highly.

Ben Furness

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
July 17, 2011, 09:37:32 AM
I  have been wearing crocs now for about 6 years. Some of the new models are fantastic. They grip onto anything (except slimy rock) and are as comfortable as anything. Ugliest shoes ever produced but excellent in a boat.

Peter Morris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
July 17, 2011, 07:20:26 PM
Those Crocs at the Top Greg look pretty good....look comfy.

Dale I heard those Active Casuals get a bit on the smelly side..???...True..?

Pete

Mick Cunningham

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
July 17, 2011, 08:36:35 PM
Those Crocs at the Top Greg look pretty good....look comfy.

Pete
I agree with the top Crocs photo will check them out ... Hey thanks Greg ...

by the way i have Active Casuals as i notice them are rubbing my toes after couple of days....
then i end up with the Crocs  ...

Garry Wong

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
July 17, 2011, 10:04:50 PM

Dale I heard those Active Casuals get a bit on the smelly side..???...True..?

Pete

true :-[
apparently here where i am, i found a crocs with exact same shape with AC but with usual crocs coloring(bright yellow, lime green), and they are much more comfy plus minus the smelly side :D

Stefan Pek WEILIANG

July 18, 2011, 12:39:45 AM
Might want to try Vibrams Five Fingers, have been using them for a year now and the grip that the soles give is pretty awesome on a wet deck. They do stink but i guess you can try applying polygiene on them to stop odours.

Peter Childs

• Bluefin Tuna
  • If it moves......cast at it!
  • Liked:
July 18, 2011, 11:58:25 AM
Take from someone who has raced yachts offshore for over 20 years - nothing sticks to the deck of a boat like a pair of Dunlop Volleys! 

If you are after ultimate grip in tough conditions go the volleys.  Yes they look a bit prepy, Yes they stink after a few outings and Yes they get wet, but they truly stick like %*$# to a blanket....and hey they only cost about $12.

If you cant live with any of the down sides, go the crocs.....just remember to replace them before the soles wear out - they get really slippery then!

Peter Morris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
July 18, 2011, 12:28:37 PM
Just bought some of those Crocs Bun......They look excellent.

Thanks for that info,

Pete

Dale Ianna

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
July 19, 2011, 05:10:37 PM
Hey Peter,
yeah can't say myself that I've notice mine smelling, i even went outside and checked. Mind you, probably could smell my own feet if i wanted too. But would be a different story if ya asked me missus.

neville hood

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
July 19, 2011, 07:00:42 PM
I have Acs and they are good on my boat but when you jump into the water to trailer the boat or fish along the beach they get full off sand and very uncomfortable. You have to constantly clean them out.

Martin Gundersen

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
July 19, 2011, 09:31:49 PM
I have Acs and they are good on my boat but when you jump into the water to trailer the boat or fish along the beach they get full off sand and very uncomfortable. You have to constantly clean them out.
That won't be a problem. I willl only use them for better grip on the deck of the boat.

Is there any good tackle shops that have AC's?
So I can save some money on postage, and order some baits and tackle in the same time.
Tight lines
Martin

neville hood

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
July 20, 2011, 09:06:07 PM
Try BCF, they have that sort of thing. I got mine on special for around $30 bucks. I assume you are in oz.  My local also has tackle etc that members of this forum would find resonably acceptable.