Sam Morrison

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
How Big is Big?
July 23, 2011, 03:09:34 PM
Hey,

I am a small time lure maker and have a question for the GT fishermen out there...

How big is big when it comes to popper cup faces? I make a range of poppers but I want to go crazy big, but no point if you can't fish it  ???

So, what is BIG? and fishable... 50mm, 65mm, 70mm + ?

Any input is appreciated...  ;)

Christoffer Hansen

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
Re: How Big is Big?
July 23, 2011, 05:11:26 PM
50 is big, 60 is massive! Not many blokes will work a lure with a 60mm cup for longer than 15min sessions effectively. Will need to be around the 200gram range too so it doesn't pull out of the water. Keen to see what you come up with.
      Cheers chris

Sam Morrison

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
July 23, 2011, 08:34:58 PM
50 is big, 60 is massive! Not many blokes will work a lure with a 60mm cup for longer than 15min sessions effectively. Will need to be around the 200gram range too so it doesn't pull out of the water. Keen to see what you come up with.
      Cheers chris

Thanks Chris  8)

61mm it is then!  ;) I will have to spin something up and see how it goes... 200g is easily achievable. Thanks again for the input, I have yet to fish for GT's personally so every bit helps.  ;)

Jay Burgess

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
July 24, 2011, 01:06:04 AM
      Cheers chris

Thanks Chris  8)

61mm it is then!  ;) I will have to spin something up and see how it goes... 200g is easily achievable. Thanks again for the input, I have yet to fish for GT's personally so every bit helps.  ;)

Wow! I can't beleive you're even considering making GT poppers when you haven't even fished for them!  :-[

Greg Burt

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
July 24, 2011, 02:07:55 PM
His std Kingie Poppers are tops and work on GTs..... but  :D
Greg 'FFF' Burt

Sam Morrison

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
July 24, 2011, 02:32:56 PM
      Cheers chris

Thanks Chris  8)

Wow! I can't beleive you're even considering making GT poppers when you haven't even fished for them!  :-[

I have to start somewhere Jay  ;) Why not catch my first GT on my own popper?  ??? I read the BIG mouth poppers raise the big fish, so naturally I asked how big?

Thanks Greg, They do work on GT's and I am keen to see what the boys can bring up in Tonga in a couple of months...

Greg Burt

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
July 24, 2011, 04:00:58 PM
No worries Sam, I watched Beni working one of your poppers at White Is in March and liked what I saw.
Are you doing the comp next week? if so I'll catch up.
     Bun
Greg 'FFF' Burt

Christoffer Hansen

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
July 24, 2011, 04:02:53 PM
Hey sam,
              If your lookin at making something big I'd like to see a longer profile lure in the 250-300mm range. 

Sam Morrison

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
July 24, 2011, 04:39:40 PM
No worries Sam, I watched Beni working one of your poppers at White Is in March and liked what I saw.
Are you doing the comp next week? if so I'll catch up.
     Bun

No I won't be fishing, I was hoping to get up there but I can't make it work...I will however have some stick baits up there for testing, Ben will have a couple on the boat and Andrew will too, hoping they can find some top water fish to really test em'.

All the best for the comp  ;)

Sam Morrison

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
July 24, 2011, 04:45:45 PM
Hey sam,
              If your lookin at making something big I'd like to see a longer profile lure in the 250-300mm range.

Sounds interesting Chris, I will play with a few different ideas... I could always make a slim long popper with a large cup face that could be reverse rigged also to run like a pencil...Whether it would work is another story  :o