BriceBludau

Sinking and Suspending Stickbaits
September 20, 2011, 09:18:07 AM
Guys,

I just had a quick question about the more expensive stickbaits and how they sink. Do they generally go tail down or sink horizonally and balanced?

My question is about what they're going to do on long pauses... Start going down tail first so that you have to keep the bait moving or if they sink more naturally on a horizontal plane.

Thanks,
 Brice

Warwick Joyce

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Sinking and Suspending Stickbaits
September 21, 2011, 07:58:22 AM
Its a fine line balancing lures, and very dependent on the type of hooks used. I'm pretty sure 90% of the floating sticks sit tail down, as for the sinking the only 2 I have is an Orion Big Foot 140 and a FCL CSP and both sink fairly horizontal the way I have them rigged.
My opinion is that a sinking lure should sink slightly nose down so it looks as if its trying to swim down, balancing a stick like this compromises the cast ability, having it nose heavy makes them wave and wobble around during the cast and leaves me thinking how much of my cast energy and distance is lost to that wobble. Super annoying when you want that extra 10 meters or are casting into wind.
Happy experimenting!

chris coates

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
September 21, 2011, 09:14:22 PM
Do you think having them tail weighted gets less hits? and is the few meaters less cast distance worth it?
Hunt Smart Fish Hard

BriceBludau

September 22, 2011, 12:59:34 AM
The one I'm messing with is tail weighted and swims really well when you're continuously working the lure.  It just starts sinking tail down on a long pause.  I would like it to sink horizontally, but I'd hate to lose the casting distance.

Warwick Joyce

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
September 22, 2011, 08:26:04 AM
Do you think having them tail weighted gets less hits? and is the few meaters less cast distance worth it?

Chris, weather having them tail weighted gets less/more hits is highly debatable.
Yes I think the flight of the lure and the extra distance is worth it especially for stickbaits. In my case its usually throwing a stick at a shy GT and trying to keep as far away from where he is holding as possible.

Graham Scott

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
September 22, 2011, 08:33:14 AM
I love floating stickbaits that pop their head up on the pause at the end of each sweep. I much prefer these to sinking stickbaits, plus I get to see a bit more!

Angus Hulme

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
September 22, 2011, 10:16:20 AM
One of the better stickbaits I made a few years ago is considerably more heavy in the tail, and as a result, casts like a dream, but as touched upon earlier, also sinks tail first and doesn't look particularly good when paused.  However, due to the weird sinking angle, this type of lure may end up looking like a squid, reversing and then surging forward? :-\

Anyway, it got eaten by my current PB fish when allowed to sink beneath some mackerel feeding on the surface . :)

Warwick Joyce

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
September 22, 2011, 02:48:34 PM
Brice, maybe to better answer the question I would say for a lure that I would be pausing for a decent amount of time I would prefer it to look natural, either horizontal or slightly nose down.

chris coates

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
September 22, 2011, 04:57:06 PM

Chris, weather having them tail weighted gets less/more hits is highly debatable.
Yes I think the flight of the lure and the extra distance is worth it especially for stickbaits. In my case its usually throwing a stick at a shy GT and trying to keep as far away from where he is holding as possible.

yeh chears Warwick it def something for me to consider im going ona trip off broom ina few weeks and this was one of the questions iwas thinking about.
Hunt Smart Fish Hard

Warwick Joyce

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
September 30, 2011, 07:15:43 AM

yeh chears Warwick it def something for me to consider im going ona trip off broom ina few weeks and this was one of the questions iwas thinking about.

Chris, as I mentioned in your other post about the rowley shoals I am not familiar with the area but looking at the charts and the steep drop offs maybe a fast sinking stickbait maybe worth while taking?
I'm pretty sure Orion makes a big fast sinking stick for such areas.

Graham, if you see this post your inbox is full ;)

chris coates

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
September 30, 2011, 05:49:00 PM
Yeh I got a few R2S doggier stickbaits they sink and I'm upgrading the hooks with 2 SJ41 9/0's and I think it's a SJS 77( big inline ) on the tail so it's the ones I do that to will drop horizontally and prity quick. Chears
Hunt Smart Fish Hard

Warwick Joyce

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
September 30, 2011, 05:58:17 PM
They look pretty good, at least they won't break the bank when you loose a few and you will  :P
Looking forward to your report :D