Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
I regard the aftermarket handle from MC Works as easily the best on the market. While the handle may seem bulletproof, I have found that it requires regular maintenance. The maintenance is simple in that what you need to do is strip the handle assembly completely and ensure that all parts are properly washed, particularly the bearings. If you don't do this, the bearings are very susceptible to corrosion.

I have had the bearings on one of my handles rust to the point where they simply fell apart. Regular maintenance will ensure this doesn't occur.
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Rory McPherson

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
Just read this post and rushed out to the studio and took my two handles off their reels- Aggh . Great you brought this up , one handle the bearing nearest the shaft is rough and I think rusted but I can't get it out of the handle part , tried heat ,Inox,and ice. The other handle I just can't even undo the screw.
So it's a trip to the tackle shop ,Yeehaa.
Love the handles , have them on 8000 stellas and think they transform the reels.

Jon Li

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Hi Brandon ,

Good posting , thanks . I will have inform those who have bought the MC Works handles on this issue and will ask Mogi-san to make sure MC Works is told about this so they can change the bearings to the better quality ones .

Jon .
It's not what you don't know that gets you into trouble , it's what you know for sure that ain't so . Mark Twain .

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
thanks Jon
That would actually be a good idea. To be fair to MC Works, they may already be using top quality bearings.
All bearings would rust under those circumstances.

All I know is two of my handles are out of action till I can get replacement bearings.

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
I would hope they use standard sized bearings to make that replacement an easy job.

Interestingly I have never had any knob bearing issues with the factory Shimano handles, but my Dogfight rusted out in a fashion that sounds similar to the MC Works experience. The Shimano handles and Dogfight get the same regular treatment - i.e. no stripping but a wash and spray with a spot of WD40 after each use.

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
No, they do not!!!!   :'(

I would hope they use standard sized bearings to make that replacement an easy job.

Rory McPherson

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
No, they do not!!!!   :'(

Bad news ,where are you going to get new bearings from ,as I'm probably going to need some ?

Jon Li

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Guys ,

My old STL16000F n STL10000F both have had the stock bearings removed and changed to stainless steel bearings years ago , since then I lubricate them each time after a fishing trip and so far so good . The stock bearing of my Z4500 still turns freely but I treat them equally as I do with my old Stellas .

Jon .
It's not what you don't know that gets you into trouble , it's what you know for sure that ain't so . Mark Twain .

Rory McPherson

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
I've just changed one bearing in each handle I believe we've used JM ones, if that helps anyone else.

Andy Rowe

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Just opened my handle 3 weeks after its first use, anybody got a contact for the replacement bearings :-[ :-[
Set the ray to GeeT

Mark Tamim

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
Has this issue been resolved?  Where can we get replacement bearings?  Tried contacting MC Works directly with no response.  It's a little (actually very) irritating that replacement bearings appear to be extremely difficult to obtain given how expensive these handles are!!  I appreciate your help in advance. 

dante green

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
Brandon,

What do you use to properly give the bearings a wash?

cheers

D.

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
I don't know if I am the right person to come to for advice looking at what happened to my handles  :'(
I made the mistake of never opening up the knob as I simply assumed it would be ok. I was dreadfully wrong. The bearings inside the knob were so corroded they actually had to be drilled out. I put poor Wahyu at Global Tackle to a dreadful amount of work to get it all fixed.

What I will be doing in future is stripping the whole handle after every trip and spraying the bearings with Reel-X.

Mark, the replacement bearings are hell to get hold off. I managed to get Tak Otsuka into ordering them from Japan from MC Works. They were absurdly expensive. You'd think they were ZPI ceramic bearings at that price

Andy Rowe

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
I now need to replace the bearing again in my mc handle. After replacing the first one and packing the area with grease the new bearing felt rough even before i used it. After only 2 trips with slight use and sufficient care the thing needs replacing again. Jon where do you locate stainless steel bearings in Jakarta, i may try to source locally while I order another from Tak. I think the replacement bearing was faulty to start with :(
Last Edit: January 18, 2013, 08:06:12 PM by Andy Rowe
Set the ray to GeeT

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Andy, locally for you, it might be worth trying Aneka Raya Pancing. When I checked there once they had a multitude of bearings in stock.  However, from previous posts in this thread it seems that MC Works used a non-standard bearing in the handle so you might struggle to find one.  Best of luck.
Last Edit: January 18, 2013, 08:23:04 PM by Mark Harris