Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Qantas Excess Baggage
October 10, 2011, 10:30:13 PM
Jay, you are getting mixed up between the limits for domestic and international.

The allowance for domestic is different from international. For domestic, it is a piece allowance where if you are travelling economy, you get one piece which can weigh up to 23kg (assuming you are not Qantas Club or a frequent flyer). You get charged for every additional piece of luggage so if you have two pieces which weigh 10kg in total, they can charge you for the second piece.

For international, it is based on weight. There is no restriction on the number of pieces of the luggage but you are limited by weight. For an economy customer, that means you can have as many pieces as you want BUT the limit is 23kg.
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Jay Burgess

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
October 10, 2011, 10:42:18 PM
Thanks for clearing that up Brandon.

Karl Nelson

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
October 10, 2011, 10:49:05 PM
Thanks for the reminder Jay.
  Just purchased extra piece for the domestic flights, hopefully that's correct.
No idea on the international flights though, its just leading me around in circles.
Might have to just wing it and see what they say...

Jay Burgess

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
October 10, 2011, 10:55:50 PM
Thanks for the reminder Jay.
  Just purchased extra piece for the domestic flights, hopefully that's correct.
No idea on the international flights though, its just leading me around in circles.
Might have to just wing it and see what they say...

I got extra pieces for the domestic too, will give them a call tomorrow regarding the international flight and see what they say..

Wan Izhan

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
October 11, 2011, 03:02:22 AM
Jay,  the rod tube is included as part of the 23kg. Qantas do not provide a sporting equipment allowance.
See the link below:

www.qantas.com.au/travel/airlines/sporting-equipment/global/en

Wan, generally, they will permit reels with lines but you never know when you will get a difficult officer. Same with jigs and poppers. If you carry it, you take the risk.

anyway forumers had bad experience with the custom officer? what to do if they didnt allow you to carry the loaded reels onboard?

many thanks

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
October 11, 2011, 08:14:17 AM
I think many of us have had a bad experience with them! If they will not allow you to carry it through, you have a big problem especially if it is busy at the airport. I am not aware of anyone who has had problems with reels for quite some time but you may have a problem with long jigs.

I carry my reels sometimes but I don't have the spools on.

Jay,  the rod tube is included as part of the 23kg. Qantas do not provide a sporting equipment allowance.
See the link below:

www.qantas.com.au/travel/airlines/sporting-equipment/global/en

Wan, generally, they will permit reels with lines but you never know when you will get a difficult officer. Same with jigs and poppers. If you carry it, you take the risk.

anyway forumers had bad experience with the custom officer? what to do if they didnt allow you to carry the loaded reels onboard?

many thanks
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Graham Stevenson

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
October 19, 2011, 11:38:44 AM
I never take reels and terminal tackle as carry on after some bad experiences. If you get an unsympathetic customs officer they will make you take it back and recheck your luggage which can be a monumental hassle ! Once I just donated a number of jigs to the customs collection as I couldn't be bothered.
It really does depend on who you strike at the security check in. same with excess baggage - sometimes you get an airline check in person who has a very liberal interpretation and sometimes you get the opposite. Funniest experience I had just recently was weighing my own baggage at Air NZ check in and it was 5 Kg over and they waived it. Same luggage coming back on Virgin Blue (less a number of lures) was 10 Kg over and they slugged me the lot ! Think the Air NZ scales were dodgy or it could have been the way I placed my rod tube on the scales !