Andrew Poulos

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Pencil/skipping poppers
January 04, 2008, 06:41:52 PM
Hi all,

Im looking for some poppers that are designed for skipping rather than blooping. They dont have to be able to handle big GTs, just enough for kings. I have yo zuri surface cruiser, cotton cordell , and blackjack skipjacks, some kokodas and a strikezone. Strikezone dont seem to have the larger popper around any more and Im not too keen on the saltiga pencil poppers that I have.

Are there any other types of skipping poppers around as I cant really seem to find any. Im finding that on bright days lures that can move quickly work better so was looking for some more if they exist. Preferably not the really expensive hammerhead ones as I tend to lose gear when fishing off the rocks and getting busted off.

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Re: Pencil/skipping poppers
January 05, 2008, 06:30:28 AM
Andrew, you would do well to be able to get your hands on the Hammerhead pencil even if you wanted one! I think for your purposes, the YoZuri would fit the bill. I'm overseas for the next three weeks but if you give me a buzz just before the Australia Day long weekend and you can drop around, I'll give you a couple to test out.
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Andrew Poulos

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
January 05, 2008, 08:44:53 AM
Cheers Brandon,thanks heaps...Im going look around on the web as well and see if I can get more cruisers from o/s as it might be cheaper than the $30 or so they go for around here.

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
January 05, 2008, 07:48:13 PM
Andrew, why don't you give Neil a call and see what he has got?

Andrew Poulos

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
January 05, 2008, 08:30:03 PM
Had a chat with Neil on Friday and ordered some other bits and pieces, but not much in the skipping poppers either. He is trying to track down one of the large strikezone skippa ones, and Im getting a skipjack. But there arent many different ones out there in the 80-110gram weight range. Wish I had a lathe or centre drill punch so I could work on some dowel and make a few.

Andrew Poulos

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
January 05, 2008, 08:43:10 PM
Anyone used or seen in action a hammerhead tobi 69 ? What is their action like?

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
January 06, 2008, 05:19:06 AM
I've got them - they work more like a combo stickbait/pencil than a pencil.
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Mark Stotesbury

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
January 06, 2008, 06:48:13 AM
Andrew here in south africa we use a flatsided nylon/polypropalene plug for yellowtail off the rocks very basic but deadly will post a pic for you very easy to make
markl

Sam Beeby

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
January 08, 2008, 11:16:56 AM
Yeah, I think those ones are sold here as 'Richter' lures. They have a flat on the underside so that they really skip along fast, only have hooks on the tail, and are quite heavy for their length so cast like bullets. I've seen them in pics of Hat head swingy off the rods of eugene partridge and co so they must work. They look pretty rudimentary but i'm keen to get my hands on them myself.

Sam Beeby

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
January 08, 2008, 11:19:34 AM

Andrew Poulos

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
January 08, 2008, 01:24:48 PM
Cheers for the link. A few places stock them by the looks of it. I might have to do some ringing around while Im at work and getting shafted. Might as well do something joyful while Im here today....

Mark Stotesbury

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
January 12, 2008, 08:39:15 AM
Andrew
the plugs in the link are moulded and have a rounded edge these are made by a company called predator plugs.the origional were cut out of poly and have sharp edges and a square arse.these swim better and kick up more water nothing wrong with the moulded ones though ,will post a pic of the square type when i get a chance off to chase some yellowfin on saturday.
mark

Andrew Poulos

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
January 12, 2008, 02:28:13 PM
Cheers Mark

Mark Stotesbury

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
January 14, 2008, 03:32:26 AM
plugs

Andrew Woodley-Page

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
February 10, 2008, 02:37:30 PM
These South African plugs have been commonplace in WA for 10-15 years, mainly used by land based anglers because they cast like bullets.  Easy to use, they skip and produce quite a splash.  These have accounted for pretty much all pelagics including GT's.  They don't look fancy but they're tough and effective.  Back to back swinging hooks are the go.