Kamalu Charlot

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Small boat GT fishing in Mackay
March 11, 2012, 03:07:57 AM
I know locally the big ones can be found cruising the dirty water after all they are predators and work the tide and strong current advantages.  One can picture a tiger working tall grass as opposed to targets of opportunity in an open field.
Last Edit: March 11, 2012, 03:10:05 AM by Kamalu Charlot

michael north

March 11, 2012, 07:47:51 AM
I think that they will be Andrew.  There is that winter run of baitfish that keeps the tea-leafs and bludgers around.  Can't see these GT's being to much different, maybe a little less aggresive but still around.
Surprised to raise them out of the dirty water too.  It was mainly coral spawn but, I had the leader almost at the tip of the rod and could still not see colour. Visability was three foot at the most.

Well as long as it keeps the tealeafs around I'm happy. We all secretly know tealeafs are the pinnacle of trevally evolution

Andrew Susani

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
March 11, 2012, 07:52:02 PM
Yeah I can't understand why www.TLPopping.com hasn't taken off yet  ::)
Focus on the pop

Alex Thomson

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
March 19, 2012, 04:13:35 PM
Great Rep ! nice shots too.

Andrew Susani

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
March 19, 2012, 07:42:10 PM
Trying to get the post count up a bit eh Alex?  ::)
Focus on the pop

Guy Durham

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
March 19, 2012, 10:46:15 PM
I'm so glad I've found your post!

I'm a fellow Mackay dweller. Im a fisher, but my only GT experience is a charter in Fiji last year. I've just decided to kit up and have a go locally. I enter into this with mixed emotions. The anticipation of success is great, but I'd be lying if I said I was looking forward to the more realistic scenario of numerous unfruitful trips of dawdling until I start to find fish.

Your reports have buoyed my spirits, and have made me even keener (if that's even possible!) to get out there and give it a go.

You've absolutely hit the nail on the head about where we live. When it's great for boating, it's barely tolerable for the body and vice-versa. But it's all worth it :D

BTW - I recognize the beach you're swimming on... and you're a long way from home in a boat your size!  A fine effort!
When people hear hoof beats, they think "Horses"
When I hear hoof beats.  I think "Zebra's" :)

Andrew Susani

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
March 20, 2012, 09:09:04 PM
Yeah but on a good forecast you can go anywhere in my little boat  ;D  That day we could have gone right to the outer reef...

Look for structure and current in the Mackay waters - not hard to find with 4-6m tidal run - and hit those spots at dawn and dusk... there are plenty of GTs here  ;)
Focus on the pop

Guy Durham

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
March 20, 2012, 10:33:12 PM
Yeah I agree, we've had some magic days over the past few months. A few where i could have taken my Tinnie to islands, and have actually seen another guy in a quintrex console boat out at that same place you were when i stopped in for a quick troll on the way to the reef. I've been lucky enough to capitalize on a number of those awesome days. Fingers crossed that the good weather comes back soon so I can finally get out & give throwing some poppers a go :D

Andrew Susani

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
April 24, 2012, 08:44:32 PM
Some good weather this weekend somehow coincided with a workmate from Wollongong coming up for a weekend "work" visit  :P  Sometimes I think there is more chance of winning lotto than getting glamorous weather for a weekend here booked months in advance  ;)

Duane thought the first morning was as good as it gets with a 15kg jewie in the first 30 mins on a 7" Gulp.  Especially funny because he has spent hundreds of hours off the beach chasing them, for only one or two small specimens.  The highlight of day 2 was a 110cm queenie.  But day 3 was the best weather and it was time to do some offshore exploring...

I got the first GT after a savage strike along the edge of a shallow reef:

Then after a lot of persistence and about 20 fish raised, Duane finally had an almighty surface strike and all hell broke loose.  It was funny because he was taking a rest break and applying sunscreen while I popped along a steep rock face.  I raised 3 fish and ripped the lure away from them, handing him the rod so he could fire one in there straight away.  He could not believe the raw power of the fish, but he does spend a lot of time chasing flathead  ;D

After much 'instruction' about not high sticking my beloved Carpenter, the fish was boatside.  I believe his words were "this is the best feeling ever"  (good thing his wife and daughter were not on board)  ;D

I picked up a similar sized fish from nearby about an hour later.  Great weather and great fun.

Focus on the pop

troy roberts

April 25, 2012, 09:48:41 AM
Yeah nice couple of fish Andrew bloody tyipical though get back for my break and the weather going to shit ah well things to fix up on the boat anyway.

may your fish be huge and your beer icy.

Guy Durham

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
April 25, 2012, 08:11:53 PM
Indeed Mackay certainly did put on some fine weather for the whole weekend, and on top of that, some biting & fighting fish at the same time.

Sounds like you really pounded it on the weekend. Hitting all three days!

A mate and I took my rig to the outer islands for a pop. Made a quick stop on the way & picked-up two monster fingermark on soft plastics  :D they both went about in the 80-85cm bracket. I personally have never seen them that big so I was pretty stoked.

When we pulled up for a pop, 1 cast & 2 bloops and it was on!  Unfortunately after we returned that guy, they shied off a bit. Plenty of follows right up to the boat by solos and groups of fish but couldnt get another hook-up unfortunately. There was also a heart pounding moment involving a big spanyard joining the hunt.

That was my only run for the weekend but my mate got out again in his boat on Sunday and headed to a different spot and saw that much GT action he had to come home because he had no lures remaining in a functional state!

I haven't been doing this for long & never expected to find good action so quickly. The success (for a newb anyway) of the weekend has made me super keen to get out again ASAP to try and back it up. I might even brave a few lumps just to do it this weekend. Will see how the weather pans out.  Hopefully it's tolerable...

I'm on my iPhone at the moment, & they don't agree with this site when it comes to posting pics so I'll try get some up from the pc in the next day or so. As long as that's not considered hijacking here???

troy roberts

July 26, 2012, 12:40:29 PM
last week went to the beverlies again 4 hours of popping different locations not even a follow got the soft plastics out on light gear and scored 3 snapper a trout and black jewie buggered if i know i dont think there are any gts out there.

Andrew Susani

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
July 26, 2012, 07:15:20 PM
Wait until the warmer weather hits and then put in the same efforts Troy - we went out to some of our usual productive spots last weekend and only got one smallish GT.  I was pleased though as it was on one of my home made stickbaits   8)

Col got a good spanish after some crazy strikes on his popper but the GTs were very quiet.  Going out again tomorrow so we will see if they want to play ball.
Focus on the pop

Graham Scott

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
July 26, 2012, 09:07:33 PM
Interesting, I am a bit further south and we do really well across winter,although I haven't thrown a popper in anger for about 6 weeks.
Maybe try late afternoon when the land breeze drops off and the sun has a chance to heat the surface.
Also find less fish in the shallow coral country and more inshore deep dirty water in winter.
Just a thought?

Guy Durham

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
July 26, 2012, 09:45:09 PM
I've got the same experience. One day they were on and the next weekend they weren't, and we've struggled to find GT action since.

I'm waiting for it to warm up a bit.

Having said that we've had some sweet sessions on Mack's with big poppers and stickbaits lately.