Simon Steele

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Custom handles / knobs
February 01, 2012, 11:15:40 AM
Guys I have put GT Max knobs on all of my Stella's , they look and feel great and I am very pleased with the
way they finish of the reel , more over work and feel in the fight. I have just picked up a new 18000 and was considering putting
a metal T Handle on it , they look like a good hand full of grip and as this is going on a PE-12 I am anticipating some battles where
that could be a nice to have.

I notice that a lot of the Japanese Jigging guys favor this style of handle on their Stella's and thought I would A: ask your thoughts and B: Find out where you can get them , M&W once made them but I cant get a lock on one for sale any where at the moment.

Interested to hear your views and advice.

Thanks

Peter Childs

• Bluefin Tuna
  • If it moves......cast at it!
  • Liked:
Re: Custom handles / knobs
February 01, 2012, 11:29:18 AM
Simon, the T handles are great for jigging, particularly on overhead reels.  If you are thinking for popping....forget it, they are a pain in the a#$e on the cast and really unwieldy for popping.

If you are thinking for jigging, with a spin reel, just be mindful of the butt length of the rod you use, they suit rods with longer butts better than a short butt rod, where you might find the handle interferes with your 'love handles' (belly) when you jig under the arm.  They can also add quite a bit of leverage to the whole spin setup if used incorrectly (think broken handles).

Jigging Master do some great T-handles.
Last Edit: February 01, 2012, 11:33:12 AM by Peter Childs

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
February 01, 2012, 11:37:16 AM
I totally agree with Peter there - would never want one of those massive handles when casting or when working a surface lure.

My favourite after market knob for a SW180000 is the Shimano/Yumeya Carbon Fibre baby. Costs a bomb but is perfectly balanced with the 18000 size reel I think.

On T-Bars, JM still make them I think. See: http://www.jiggingmaster-ag.com/home/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=204%3Ajigging-master-lt-091-t&catid=55%3Aaluminum&Itemid=118&lang=en

Ben Rivers

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
February 01, 2012, 12:40:46 PM
My favourite after market knob for a SW180000 is the Shimano/Yumeya Carbon Fibre baby. Costs a bomb but is perfectly balanced with the 18000 size reel I think.

Mark - Where can you buy one of these? Ben

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
February 01, 2012, 01:02:11 PM
They crop up quite often at stores Ben. You might want to contact Shimano Australia and find out which local authorised dealers have stock.

It is this one:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Shimano-Stella-Spinning-Reel-Ultralight-Weight-Carbon-Knob-/140629881625?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20be31b319

Ben Rivers

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
February 01, 2012, 01:56:59 PM
They crop up quite often at stores Ben. You might want to contact Shimano Australia and find out which local authorised dealers have stock.

It is this one:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Shimano-Stella-Spinning-Reel-Ultralight-Weight-Carbon-Knob-/140629881625?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20be31b319

Thanks Mark - Your right, they do cost an arm and a leg!!

Dan Colebrook

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
February 01, 2012, 02:19:34 PM
I put one of the jigging master t-bars on my swpg8000 for about 6 months and didnt enjoy it very much! And yea it would have been crap for topwater casting! Had to drill the handle pin out to get it fitted so when i changed back had to buy a new handle. Put the t-bar on my talica and its way better suited there.
I have one of the jm round ball handles on a Stella 4000Fe and its great, way better than the grippy flat t one it had. Going to slowly upgrade all my Stella's with them over time. Also ya just screw them on the handle as apposed to drilling out the pins. Hope this helps..  :)

Simon Steele

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
February 01, 2012, 03:21:58 PM
Brilliant , guys thanks all of you for your advice I will deep 6 that idea and stay with the GT max knob again for this one.

Ricky Lim

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
February 01, 2012, 08:42:02 PM
Like to add

With t-bar you will pron to bend the handle more under pressure when use on spin.
But on overhead I seen less breakage. Feels mor balance

Ben Rivers

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
February 01, 2012, 08:48:54 PM
Honestly.... Are the aftermarket knobs (Yumeya / Jigging Master etc), really any better than the standard knob? Are they worth the extra money or just a cosmetic accessory?

Ricky Lim

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
February 01, 2012, 09:09:22 PM
Personal preference Ben!
I find the carbon knob slippery when I put on my 18000, so I put in on the 6000 instead.
I replaced it with the fisherman round knob. Good grip but heavy.     
Personally find round knobs most confy for me.

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
February 01, 2012, 09:12:59 PM
They do feel better in the hand Ben and probably give you a little more cranking power. The ultimate on that front is to get a whole new handle set (eg MC Works, SOM) and not just change the knob. But you are into lots of money to do that.

The best value after market knob I have come across is the one offered by forum sponsor Kaiser.  It is aluminium and not unlike the Fisherman knob. I use this on my Twinpower 10000 and 12000 and Stella 20000, and is it is very comfortable.  Extremely well priced.

I have long thought that the standard Stella rubber egg knob is a bit of a cheap feature from Shimano. You get the same knob on a Stella as you do on a Saragosa.  Some JDM Stellas do come with the carbon fibre knob as standard but not the export version that the vast majority of us buy.  This is one area where Daiwa out-do Shimano in my eyes - the factory handle and knob on a Saltiga is certainly better than the Stella equivalent.

But like much in this sport, the bling factor plays a large part as well  8) .
Last Edit: February 01, 2012, 09:35:53 PM by Mark Harris

Ben Rivers

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
February 01, 2012, 09:38:40 PM

Dmitrii Novgorodtcev

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
February 02, 2012, 12:00:21 AM
Mark,
I totally agree that it is a good idea to have a whole new handle instead of changing the knob only, especially if you use old Stella and has a bad habbit to help pumping the fish with your left hand holding the reel handle. It just brakes in the place where the knob shaft meets the main handle. I saw once and heard many of these stories. So, now I never go fishing without spare handle set.
Last Edit: February 02, 2012, 12:03:03 AM by Dmitrii Novgorodtcev

Dan Colebrook

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
February 02, 2012, 05:25:30 AM

I have long thought that the standard Stella rubber egg knob is a bit of a cheap feature from Shimano. You get the same knob on a Stella as you do on a Saragosa.  Some JDM Stellas do come with the carbon fibre knob as standard but not the export version that the vast majority of us buy.  This is one area where Daiwa out-do Shimano in my eyes - the factory handle and knob on a Saltiga is certainly better than the Stella equivalent.

But like much in this sport, the bling factor plays a large part as well  8) .

100% agree with ya!