Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Cyclonic GT Session

As the title suggests, our most recent trip was affected by cyclonic conditions. By the time we reached Cairns, there were at least 3 low pressure systems threatening to turn into cyclones. So it happened, one to the south offshore at Mackay did turn into one.

The first day saw us cancelling our plans to head out to the reef due to 40 knots + gales. Instead, we decided to head north to a secret location of mine. In the past, i have had strikes from Cobia and GTs at this spot and was wondering if the big tide would really turn it on.

It did. Baitfish were getting smashed in the area sporadically, it was only a matter of time. Lobbing the big surface popper out some 80 metres saw my first and biggest hit only 10 metres from the oyster encrusted rocks. This threw up an extraordinary amount of water, the fish appeared brown in colour (the water displacement was that big we were wondering it is was at least several fish that attacked at the same time). I had orginally picked it for a Cobia or a big Whaler but the tell-tale headshakes of a GT soon appeared.

Zigzaging along the rocks at my feet through bommie and coral was worrying. He finally gave up in a little crevice, to my horror this was littered with sharp rocks and oysters. My fishing buddy (and mock client) managed to pull him up in a flash before we suffered abrasion to the mainline.

We had 2 subsequent hits from fish that failed to hook-up. These were big fish too. My fishing partner said that he had seen a 35kg+ fish with the first fish that i had caught.

Day 2 saw us motor out to the reef in superb (but not ideal) conditions. Not much current and little wind made things a little quiet. We managed to locate the odd bait school being terrorised and hooked up many times to sub 20kg GTs. We then motored to some outer reefs that were quite shallow. Ben rocketed two consecutive casts to big schools of baitfish...each time he was destroyed on the coral bommies beneath. These were no small fish either, estimated at well over 30kg+ (and that is being modest - one of these things looked like a dolphin!). Being a virgin popper, Ben took some valuable notes - max drag all the time, rerigging puts you out of action and don't loose expensive poppers!  >:(:P

Day 3 saw terrible weather. Despite the cyclone to the south which should've sucked up the bad weather, we had massive swells and winds. We only managed to motor out a short distance. Here we dropped jigs to small-mouthed Nannygai, Trevally and the odd small dogtooth tuna. Would've been a day better spent at the pub!

Last Edit: March 10, 2007, 11:40:36 AM by Luke Wyrsta

lonhro

Re: Cyclonic GT Session
March 08, 2007, 11:53:39 PM
man you are soo lucky. Nice Fish  REAL Nice
 I envy  you  :o

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
March 10, 2007, 10:37:06 AM
man you are soo lucky. Nice Fish  REAL Nice
 I envy  you  :o

Thanks mate, i am sure you will experience the same success in the future. Sounds like you have the determination! :D

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
March 10, 2007, 10:44:38 AM
Here are some more images of the release.

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
March 10, 2007, 11:08:30 AM

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
boy, you really hasd some strange weather. First day unfishable, second day looks almost like glass and third day unfishable. Still looks like the second day was very successful!
Last Edit: March 11, 2007, 06:27:14 PM by Luke Wyrsta
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
boy, you really hasd some strange weather. First day unfishable, second day looks almost like glass and third day unfishable. Still looks like the second day was very successful!

True, but you know me Brandon, that simply isn't good enough.

It was a good learning experience though, for both myself and my fishing partner. I was teaching him the fine art of GT popping and some jigging. Sometimes you can't always be the one to throw the first popper ;)

I like the weather a little 'dirtier' when GT popping, but not as dirty as the next day ::) :'(

Cam Foley

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
looks awsome what rod have you got that stella on.
AKA STELLAJIGGER
KINGFISH INTERPRETER

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
looks awsome what rod have you got that stella on.

Hi mate,

Few rods in the pics...

Precision 80lb custom
Calstar GF700XH
Calstar GF800M
Fisherman GT Monster 72 RS
Last Edit: March 27, 2007, 09:43:26 PM by Luke Wyrsta

Greg Burt

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
The Precision rod as in a made on the Sunshine Coast Precision rods?, if so what are they like .
Last Edit: March 30, 2007, 12:23:29 PM by GPB
Greg 'FFF' Burt

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
The Precision rod as in a made on the Sunshine Coast Precision rods?, if so what are they like .

Hi Greg,

Stuart Mckensie who builds the rods is a master. He has great skill and eye for detail.

Being one of the first rods i ever used for popping and given that i have a lot more experience and knowledge now, there would be a few things that i would change on the rod to suit my personal preference, however i won't mention those points here. I have passed the feedback to Stuart and he can do what he wants with the feedback.

Stephen Polzin

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
Gday Luke,

I'm based in Cairns and do a bit of poppering when I get the chance (member "Cairns Australia" on Caranx).

That's some sweet action you scored, I'd be particularly interested in some landbased shots showing some landmarks... (haha, just kidding, I wouldn't be giving that spot away either!)

Anyway, good looking site, hopefully I may be able to contribute when this wind dies down.

cheers,

steve
Cairns Bommie Basher

splash

luke man so you did some jigging up there so blackout charters would beable to cater if you wanted to souly target doggies on the jig

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
Gday Luke,

I'm based in Cairns and do a bit of poppering when I get the chance (member "Cairns Australia" on Caranx).

That's some sweet action you scored, I'd be particularly interested in some landbased shots showing some landmarks... (haha, just kidding, I wouldn't be giving that spot away either!)

Anyway, good looking site, hopefully I may be able to contribute when this wind dies down.

cheers,

steve

Welcome to the site Steve.

Have you had any recent popper catches?

Cheers,
Luke

Stephen Polzin

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
Haven't been out much lately due to the weather, though last trip got onto some quality bass.  Here's a shot of my best so far - 68cm, weighed prior to release at 5kg.  Taken on Stella 8000 with 60 pound sensor braid.

cheers,

steve
Cairns Bommie Basher