Sachin Chaudhry

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Halco Roosta retired
February 19, 2012, 09:52:32 AM
Halco Haymaker and Laser Pro 2M 190. Two of the toughest lores made I reckon. Haymaker needs a bit of tailweighting to enable better casting in a headwind though. Big props to Halco for these beauties.

Graham Scott

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
February 19, 2012, 09:02:35 PM
Hi Max
For inshore I agree with Andrew.
If you can get a big tide with low an hour after dawn,fish the last of the run out or first of the run in, low light no boat traffic, current around structure....should be a good chance.
As well asking divers,there is a lot in common with spanish mackerel. Most good spano spots hold GTs, either in closer or up current of the spanos.
For inshore, boat traffic and bright sunny days seem to be the fun killers

Jay Burgess

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
February 19, 2012, 10:00:56 PM
If you can get a big tide with low an hour after dawn,fish the last of the run out or first of the run in, low light no boat traffic, current around structure....should be a good chance.

Precisely! This is the best conditions for big GT's in my local areas  8)

Max Grimbacher

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
February 19, 2012, 10:03:21 PM
Halco Haymaker and Laser Pro 2M 190. Two of the toughest lores made I reckon. Haymaker needs a bit of tailweighting to enable better casting in a headwind though. Big props to Halco for these beauties.

+1 on the lazer pro. Great trolling lure.

Max Grimbacher

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
February 19, 2012, 10:07:30 PM
We have caught some very big GTs in close but I don't really know what the secret is.  Very early morning helps, but we have also caught them mid morning if the boat traffic is not too high, and there is bait and current around.  Some of the places I have heard of people catching them are really 'un-fishy' spots most of the time.  I guess they have coincided large amounts of bait in close to the rocky headlands, with lobbing big poppers around.

Some days we get them first cast, if it is accurate.  Other days it will take a lot of casts into the same area.  I think you have to be throwing big lures to tempt these fish.  We don't use fancy poppers either but I have noticed that a quality stickbait will tempt a fish if poppers are drawing a blank.  Interesting that you love the haymakers so much, none of the people I fish with will use the roostas in any size.  They are durable and tough as hell but I have found they tend to slide too easily rather than keel themselves with stability in the water.  Plus they are way more prone to tumbling than anything else I have used.  Anyway, each to their own!

It would be worth speaking to divers and spearfishermen about what local spots hold big schools of GTs.  Recently we have found hot action in locations of no current and only small bait schools, when nearby the current was pumping and there were far more baitfish.  We always move around an area if we don't get any interest from the obvious spots.

Very interesting how they don't work for you and the guys you fish with. A few people i have fished with think they work well. As you say, to each their own! I arrived at the haymaker after other lures i tried fell apart or were difficult to fish in anything but calm conditions. Maybe it suits the rod i have? Any suggestions on other lures worth trying that don't cost a fortune?

Max Grimbacher

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
February 19, 2012, 10:15:03 PM
Thanks for the suggestions (Graham, Andrew & Jay) on where and when to try. You guys have me thinking on where to try next time. There are definately some spots around the island that i think a worth another try - i might not have given them enough effort in the past. Maybe some different lures and different conditions might change the result. Like in all forms of fishing you would expect more time and effort  is required between the bigger fish, so i will have to persevere. I will report back
cheers
Max

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
February 20, 2012, 12:07:35 AM
We have caught some very big GTs in close but I don't really know what the secret is.  Very early morning helps, but we have also caught them mid morning if the boat traffic is not too high, and there is bait and current around.  Some of the places I have heard of people catching them are really 'un-fishy' spots most of the time.  I guess they have coincided large amounts of bait in close to the rocky headlands, with lobbing big poppers around.

Some days we get them first cast, if it is accurate.  Other days it will take a lot of casts into the same area.  I think you have to be throwing big lures to tempt these fish.  We don't use fancy poppers either but I have noticed that a quality stickbait will tempt a fish if poppers are drawing a blank.  Interesting that you love the haymakers so much, none of the people I fish with will use the roostas in any size.  They are durable and tough as hell but I have found they tend to slide too easily rather than keel themselves with stability in the water.  Plus they are way more prone to tumbling than anything else I have used.  Anyway, each to their own!

It would be worth speaking to divers and spearfishermen about what local spots hold big schools of GTs.  Recently we have found hot action in locations of no current and only small bait schools, when nearby the current was pumping and there were far more baitfish.  We always move around an area if we don't get any interest from the obvious spots.

Very interesting how they don't work for you and the guys you fish with. A few people i have fished with think they work well. As you say, to each their own! I arrived at the haymaker after other lures i tried fell apart or were difficult to fish in anything but calm conditions. Maybe it suits the rod i have? Any suggestions on other lures worth trying that don't cost a fortune?

Halco Roostas are good poppers for the money. no doubt about that. I would not think of using them when there is significant chop though as they tend to tumble and slide.

There is no doubt in my mind that the budget popper to kill all others is Heru Cubera 125 and 150.  Sometimes these end up being the first thing I reach for even when there are lots of $100+ options in my bag.